Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using A Daylight Backpack As A Diaper Bag

The PU seems like a really smart bag, but I wanted to make a pitch here for using the DLBP as a diaper bag -- maybe especially for guys.

We adopted our son last year before the PU was available and before I knew about Tom Bihn. My first bag was a real mistake -- selected before I had any baby experience and while I was infatuated with the idea that MOLLE might let me add and add and add to my baby bag. That first bag was too heavy and awkward.

The DLBP has turned out to be a terrific baby bag. I hadn't found posts that made that point, and I have really appreciated all the reviews here when I was buying my A45 and S25. So I thought that I would offer advice for anyone looking for a diaper or baby bag.

First, the DLBP holds everything that I need, and it is light yet comfortable enough to wear for hours and hours. I feel like I now chase a toddler professionally. The backpack design -- two hands free -- works way better for me than a PU. This may be the point where I'm being a guy. I've seen some women who seem experienced enough to run or climbs with a purse or messenger bag. But the playgrounds are full of grizzled parents (male and female) wearing backpacks. The DLBP is an exceptional backpack -- minimal and light, but comfortable straps. Those TB straps make all the difference when I wear it for four hours of walking, pushing, climbing, chasing, etc.

Second, I love the TB system of interior packing bags connected to key straps. The PU looks brilliant because it has a spot to put everything. But my problem with the PU and my old MOLLE bag was that I had to always be carrying the bag because everyone was put away in a separate pocket or compartment. I'm a convert to having small bags for each need -- snacks, toys, change of clothes, diapers/changing pad, first aid, my extra phone battery and charging cords, etc. This lets me pull out the small bag that i need. It also lets me move small bags -- for example throwing my charging cords in my work bag during the week or throwing just the snacks into the car when my wife has her diaper bag.

And it's the key straps that save my life. I'm exhausted these days. I'm forgetful. I'm rushed. So it's great to just pull packing bags from the DLBP and never worry. The bags stay connected to the DLBP. I'll never leave something in a restaurant or a bathroom.

Third, the DLBP is large enough to carry everything that I need. In the main pocket, I generally have four interior bags -- diapers/pad in Ziploc, snacks in a large Pack-It stuff sack, toys/clean clothes in a SC, and charging cords in a small Pack-It stuff sack. With that, there is always room to add a water bottle, extra toddler shoes, etc. In the photos below, you can see the bags that I carry. You can pick a number and sizes based on your own needs. SS would be great. A SC fits perfectly in the bottom of the DLBP. I often put toys on one side and change of clothes on the other. A SS might be even-more flexible. In the front pocket, I carry a DOP with some extra cash, some bandaids, and a small sunblock stick. That has been a lifesaver when I'm exhausted because I put tickets or receipts or anything else in the DOP. I've lost an amazing amount of stuff that I jammed into pants or jacket pockets and then had fall out amid toddler chaos.

Don't fall into the "I need to carry everything but the kitchen sink" fear that drove me to the MOLLE bag. I don't want tons of stuff. I've figured out what I need now. My list will change over time. Your list will differ from mine. But the DLBP seems like a great size that's big enough for what I need but compact and light enough that I'll always keep it with me.

Fourth, diapers are natural padding and improve the DLBP. Read the TB descriptions about how they considered padding, but instead have complex advice about inserting a sweater into each of the two pouches sown into the back. A changing pad fits in one. Diapers and wipes fit in the other inside a Ziploc bag. It's storage plus comfort.

I hope that this is helpful to anyone looking for a diaper bag. I was very grateful reviews that other people wrote when I was shopping. I can't emphasize enough that the DLBP is a tough, comfortable bag that I've worn for hours and hours chasing after a toddler. It has always had everything that I need. And there is a longterm beauty in the fact that all these pieces -- the DLBP, the SS, the DOP, the SC -- will have a life even after my baby grows up. They'll be basics for EDC and travel for years.

Using A Daylight Backpack As A Diaper Bag-bihn1-jpg

The DLBP. A DOB on top key strapped into the front pocket. Three interior bags (including a SC) key strapped into the main pocket. A Ziploc of diapers and wipes. A changing pad.

Using A Daylight Backpack As A Diaper Bag-bihn2-jpg

The DLBP packed with the front folded down so that you can see how the changing pad and diapers become the perfect padding for your back.

Using A Daylight Backpack As A Diaper Bag-bihn4-jpg

The SC so that you can see a change of clothes on the left and some toys on the right. The SC fits firmly in the bottom of the DLBP.

Using A Daylight Backpack As A Diaper Bag-bihn3-jpg

The DLBP hanging from a restaurant chair. All the interior bags are strapped back to the backpack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are expecting our second/my third child in November and this looks like a very good idea.