Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,300   Posts: 197,947   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, MollyyEvelynn.

I stand corrected: S19 vs S25 is a world of difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tonya
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

I stand corrected: S19 vs S25 is a world of difference!

To make a long TB journey into a shortish story, several years ago I started my TB love with a Daylight backpack that immediately became my EDC and traveling buddy for 4 eventful years (3 moves across 4 states and umpteen travel experiences). About a year ago, I desperately needed a tad more space and also decided more support would be nice, so I ordered a S25 that ended up fitting poorly on my 5 ft 6 inch female frame. I returned it and assumed that the S19 would be the same fit. (I didn't really need the S25 liter space but thought more was better, and I liked the S25's Freudian slip design better than the S19, so that's what I went with.)

After trying several other brands' backpacks that fell woefully short in quality and style, I finally decided to try the S19 just to see... It arrived yesterday and I'm already, totally in love! It fits like a dream. (Okay, the shoulder straps do curve slightly outward away from my body, but no biting into my neck or arms so I think those will soften and mold to me quickly.) The S19's organization and space is surprisingly roomy and more than enough. Every inch of it testifies to TB quality and attention to detail. It's already loaded up and ready to go. I could have used it today but I didn't want its first foray to be the grocery store, so I'll be heading out with it tomorrow on a foraging and sketching hike.

Moral of the story: Instead of having a cookie-cutter approach, TB obviously thinks out the individual design of every single one of their products. Just because one looks like the other, doesn't mean that one is like the other. Well done, Tom Bihn! And lesson learned.
    Last edited by Tonya; 06-05-2019, 01:30 PM.
  • BWeaves
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2016

I had a similar experience with the Aeronauts. I originally bought an A30. I found the packing space too small. Not the liters it holds. But the 2D space didn't work for the way I fold my clothes. Plus, when worn as a backpack, it tipped me over backwards. I thought for sure that I would not like the bigger version.

Then I went to Europe for a month and the A45 made more sense literwise. I did not overpack it. It held the same items as the A30, but I was able to fold them easier because the 2D space was bigger. I was so surprised. The bag sits closer to my back and is more comfortable to wear despite actually being bigger.

Comment

• snowbot
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2011

BWeaves, I, too, have found that underpacking is a secret to success with the A45. Rolling clothes into daily bundles and not using the A45 packing cubes in the big compartment helped me, too.

Comment

• Tonya
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
        I had a similar experience with the Aeronauts. I originally bought an A30. I found the packing space too small. Not the liters it holds. But the 2D space didn't work for the way I fold my clothes. Plus, when worn as a backpack, it tipped me over backwards... The [A45] bag sits closer to my back and is more comfortable to wear despite actually being bigger.
        Thanks for sharing your experience with the A30 vs A45. It continues to affirm what I noticed with the S19 vs S25, and the Aeronaut sizing is another TB bag that is all too easy to overthink and make assumptions about, much like the Synapse. It's great to know that that there are options if one doesn't work, and I'm glad one end up working for you!

Comment

• AVService
          Forum Member
          • May 2006

Same thing for me but of course in the other direction!

When I got my 19 it was the only size that they made and though I came to love it dearly it looked just ridiculous on me at the same time.
          So when the 25 joined the line I knew I would have to try one sometime but then it would also mean giving up the color combo in the 19 that again,of course is not made anymore?

Then it occurred to me that I actually could not concern myself with that over needing better functionality with the bigger bag and so I worked a trade deal here and BAM!

Glad I did it as the 25 is just that much more perfect for me in every way and does not look as silly either.
          Or at least I am told it does not?

Comment

Working...
          X