Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,937   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

Pilot in 525: comparisons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x3n0n
    Forum Member
    • May 2019

Pilot in 525: comparisons?

Has anybody ordered a new Pilot in 525 ballistic yet? I'm curious to hear people's experience with it.

Multiple online reviewers seen to agree about the existing fabrics:
    400 halcyon: light, packable; doesn't maintain shape not stand up when loaded unevenly
    1050 ballistic: heavier, less packable; maintains shape (no "slumping") and will stand up on its own, regardless of what's in it.

In particular, I wonder whether the 525 is stiff enough to stand up and avoid "collapsing" in any under-filled compartments.
  • aedifica
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Jan 2017

I haven't seen a Pilot in 525 yet, but I expect it will be very much the same as a Co-Pilot in 525 and there have already been a few threads comparing the three materials for Co-Pilots.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

• x3n0n
      Forum Member
      • May 2019

Thanks for the pointer! I saw that the Co-Pilot is now in 525, but it didn't occur to me that it had originally transitioned from 1050d the same way.

Some of those threads, for reference:

In particular:

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post
      As a massive ballistic fabric fan, I was surprised to like the 525 fabric as much as the 1050. Especially in my new 525 Mars Red Copilot. No regrets (in fact it’s a preference) to move to the more flexible but still hard wearing 525.

I’d even consider 525 in a pilot. But in travel luggage bags, WF/TS and Aeronaut, I’d stick with the 1050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by x3n0n; 09-13-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X