Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

Guide's Edition Everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slightlysaltybagman
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2019

Guide's Edition Everything

Sooo things have been relatively quiet after Darcy dropped the link to this blog post the other day:

I can't be the only one who's ridiculously excited about this.. I mean, Guide's Edition Syniks (both sizes) and Synapses with the new shoulder straps. It sounds like there will be some interesting new color combos as well. And... Coyote.

This is exactly what I've been waiting for, for over a year now. Please people, come join me on the hype train because I can't contain myself. Who else is spending way too much money on bags next month?
  • G42
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Sep 2017

I'm geeked that they're doing the GE in the smaller SN22 at least for those of us who are vertically challenged and can't fit the S25 and SN30... I haven't heard that a GE edition of S19 is actually planned..

Though I'm a huge fan of the 400d halycon, so I'd want a halycon version GE!

I'll see you Guide's Edition and raise you a Shop Bag
    My biggest geekout was this post from @Darcy:

"1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?

Of particular note, I’m testing two Original Large Shop Bags in possible new fabrics, which means I try to use them everywhere… I’m tossing my laptop and work stuff in them, taking them to the grocery store, putting workout stuff in them, hiking stuff, dog stuff, whatever. My job right now is to use these bags hard. Eventually I’ll toss them in the washing machine (speeds up the use/wear significantly) but for now they’re just my daily everywhere bags."

I love the original Shop Bags and HELLO, testing a new-to-Shop-Bags fabric!?
    yeah!

Perhaps they are Logic and Seapine!? And maybe whatever the new halcyon(s) are!? And hopefully in small too??
    Last edited by G42; 01-16-2020, 05:01 PM.
    +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• Skirata44
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2019

I joined the forums pretty much primarily so that I could get news on the Guide Edition stuff as it came out (and the travel tips), and that certainly hasn't changed. Whether I get a S25 or a SN30, it's almost certainly going to be a Guide Edition. But like G42 said, there's so much other good stuff coming out early this year as well-new halcyon colors, new ballistics, the mysterious Trinity...it's a good time to be part of the forums.
      Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Comment

• goblin
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2019

Sorry if this is a silly question but what makes something a guide's edition? Is it just the looks of the bag or is there more to it?

Comment

• G42
          Volunteer Moderator
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by goblin View Post
          Sorry if this is a silly question but what makes something a guide's edition? Is it just the looks of the bag or is there more to it?
          check out the Synapse 25 vs the Synapse 25 Guide's Edition on the main webpage
          Basically, it's a colour scheme, an addition of a frame sheet, an addition of ice axe loops, and addition of accessory strap holders

There are a lot of folks who love the clean lines of the Synapses... and also those who love/want the ability to lash extra things to the pack
          Adding those lash areas plus the colour combo makes for a more outdoor retro vibe
          +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• goblin
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2019

I see, thank you G42.

Comment

• Rei
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2018

I love my Guide Edition Synapse (though I'm a too short for it *sob* I still wear it)
              can't wait to see the Guide Edition new releases
              just a Bihnion here

Comment

• LordAnubis
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2015

I’m looking forward to the GE SN22 and 30. I’m not looking forward to their price point though [emoji33][emoji32]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jimbo3b
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2017

I am super excited! Knowing the Guide's Edition would eventually be on its way, I've had a target $ amount in my YNAB budget since last summer, so it's ready to go. I like the all-coyote, but hoping we get the 50% recycled colors too: I think the coyote/seapine green combo would be outstanding. (Who am I fooling? I haven't seen a coyote combo I didn't like!)

I input my email to be on the list last summer, I think, but I put it in again just to be sure. I won't need the email anyway--I'll be checking back here a couple times per week!

If you bicycle or walk trails at dusk or night, the Guide's Edition exterior straps are the perfect place to locate an external red Guardian Light. Tom Bihn is almost sold out of these--I picked up a strap-mounted white (for the interior) and external red (set to blinking mode) last summer.

I need to point out that I'm still short by at least one HLT. I wanted an every-day-carry bag that I could switch from briefcase to suitcase to backpack, but as soon as I received my HLT2 last fall the obvious use was to consolidate all my portable electronics, power brick, and cords. So I drag my first HLT around the house and on weekend trips, and the next one is for notebook/pens/first aid/headlamp/spare contacts/sunglasses...will I need a third?

Comment

• slightlysaltybagman
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2019

@G42 Agreed! New colors/materials/shop bags are almost equally as exciting That Ursa...

@Skirata44 Yes! And inevitably the Trinity will be announced right after our GE purchases, and so the cycle continues.

@Jimbo3b Obviously you'll need a 3rd, Jim. One more to go in your GE Synik!

Per the latest Instagram post, we should know more by the "end of the week." To me that means Friday/tomorrow. One can hope!

Comment

• earth5
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2012

Does anyone know if there'll be a way on the GE to request NOT getting a framesheet? I already have one, and it seems silly to have to sell the framesheet I have because it comes with one. It's the lashpoints I'm most interested in

Comment

• moriond
                        Volunteer Moderator
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by earth5 View Post
                        Does anyone know if there'll be a way on the GE to request NOT getting a framesheet? I already have one, and it seems silly to have to sell the framesheet I have because it comes with one. It's the lashpoints I'm most interested in
                        Are you speaking about a GE S19 or a GE Synik 22? Since your earlier posts mention the S19 and S22, and since the only GE version we’ve definitely heard about is the GE for the Synik 22, you should be aware that the frame sheet designs for the Synapses and the Syniks are different, since the Synapse framesheets were designed to work as add-ons to bags that were originally designed without frame sheets, while the Syniks have a different framesheet design that is integrated differently into the structure and the design for the laptop compartment.

I could pull out the frame sheet in my Synik and try to use the S19 framesheet instead, but in my opinion it wouldn’t work as well. (The same comment applies to the Synapse 25 and the Synik 30 frame sheets).

HTH

moriond

Comment

• onebag
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2018

I'm not jazzed about all that coyote on the back paneling, for a hike in the woods sure but as a travel bag it feels out of place. Which is sad because the extra attachment points would allow some modular capability for travel -- for example, I've always wanted to experiment with strapping a ukulele to a Guides Edition S25

Comment

• earth5
                            Forum Member
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                            you should be aware that the frame sheet designs for the Synapses and the Syniks are different, since the Synapse framesheets were designed to work as add-ons to bags that were originally designed without frame sheets, while the Syniks have a different framesheet design that is integrated differently into the structure and the design for the laptop compartment
                            I did not know that. TB usually makes items cross-compatible as much as possible, so I just assumed (and the adjusting video looked the same so I didn't pay close attention. Thanks @moriond.

Comment

• trundle_on
                              • Sep 2019

Some of the GE Syniks are going to be lined with Solaris. I don't think I can handle this

Edit to correct: GE Syniks are lined with Coyote only, alas
                              Last edited by trundle_on; 01-25-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X