Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,285   Posts: 197,843   Members: 7,231   Active Members: 188
Welcome to our newest member, Severen.

Thoughts on EDC with a lunch carrying capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abe21599
    • Feb 2019

Thoughts on EDC with a lunch carrying capacity

So i currently EDC a pilot, but also have a S25, empire builder, and a couple other bags, but everything for work mostly fits in the pilot, minus my lunch. i have a cheap somewhat insulated lunch box off amazon that im not that im too partial towards, so im trying to see what other solutions forum members have.

Lunch is usally 1 large and 1 small of these pyrex lunch dishes

some fruit, and utensils. current lunch box is 10*8*11, but thats quite big and theres a lot of extra room.

so what im asking is does anyone have a one bag solution thatll house my additional lunch items? obvi i could switch to the s25, but i dont want to throw the items in the main compartment and have them co-mingling with my laptop and notebooks and stuff. considering the western flyer / Tristar for its dividers, but TS is probably to big for work EDC. maybe the bottom pouch on the S30? any other bags worth considering? i'd probably switch from the pilot if it meant carrying only 1 bag into work, and not the pilot + lunch bag.
  • x3n0n
    Forum Member
    • May 2019

Welcome to the forums, @Abe21599!

I have moved back and forth among a few TB bags for EDC.

I really liked the Stowaway for this kind of thing; I could generally fit my EDC in the front and laptop compartments, leaving the rear compartment available for a lunch container.

My current EDC is a (Halcyon) Daylight Briefcase, and I've scaled my lunches to fit in a thin plastic container like the Rubbermaid TakeAlong 3c, which fits nicely in the back zipper pocket. Similar containers exist with locking lids, but (for this reason) I rarely take leak-sensitive lunches, although a plastic bag or Travel Stuff Sack can give some peace of mind.

If the Western Flyer looks reasonable to you for EDC, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. My younger daughter has to carry an iPad, two big binders, notebooks, and more to school, and she's using a WF with one of the front half-compartments holding an insulated zippered lunch pouch. (It's also great for travel, of course.)

Comment

• Abe21599
      • Feb 2019

thanks for the feedback. ive seen the stowaway before, but i cant get past how they think it looks ok as a backpack lol. WF is my leading choice if i wanna stay with 1 bag, mainly because itd be a great two bag carry (+ rollercase for business travel) for airports. other option is get a small backpack and run it plus the pilot, but i like hte one bag idea more here.

Comment

• x3n0n
        Forum Member
        • May 2019

Originally posted by Abe21599 View Post
        ive seen the stowaway before, but i cant get past how they think it looks ok as a backpack lol.
        For what it's worth, I only used it in "briefcase" mode for EDC, for similar reasons.

Originally posted by Abe21599
        WF is my leading choice if i wanna stay with 1 bag, mainly because itd be a great two bag carry (+ rollercase for business travel) for airports. other option is get a small backpack and run it plus the pilot, but i like hte one bag idea more here.
        Entirely agreed on the WF being great for all 3 "positions" for air travel depending on how much you need: single-bag, overhead carry-on paired with something like the Pilot, or as a really big "personal item" paired with a larger overhead bag.

As regards WF as EDC, you can find a few threads, including this one that caught my attention when I was deciding whether I wanted one: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...is-effect.html

Comment

• Shortie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2017

My EDC is a Synik 22. It's big enough to hold everything I used to carry in my Pilot plus an L.L. Bean lunchbox.

Comment

• GrussGott
            Forum Member
            • May 2016

I'd vote WF as you can have the front outside compartment separated into two to hold lunch on one side and various things like a coat, electronics, etc on the other with the rear compartment being for laptop, notebook, etc maybe with a Freudian Slip.

As a side note, I've frequently used the Wildkin lunch box which fits perfectly into the front small compartment of the WF (with room left over) and some colorways are only $8!. (I don't like to eat out for business travel so I'll typically make a bunch of salmon sandwiches, freeze them, put them in the wildkin, travel x-country, and put them in the fridge when I get to the hotel and they're still frozen!)

The other nice thing about the WF in backpack EDC mode is how the divided compartment now has a top and bottom and they're on the away-from-you part of the bag! This makes it great to carry more fragile items in the top small compartment which ensures nothing gets squished when hiking the bag and/or turning it for shoulder/briefcase mode, plus your laptop and heavier e-items are next to your back totally protected. The water bottle holder pocket is also great for a light jacket, travel umbrella, shopping bags, etc

Here's me travelling in Seattle using the WF as an EDC (and used it shoulder-bag style for air travel). For reference I'm 6'2 and wearing the bag low.

Lastly, as an FYI, the DLBP fits perfectly in the main compartment so you can use it as a packing cube, as does an Eagle Creek medium folder if you use those for packing. For business travel, I can get 3 suits plus underclothes in the WF and still carry the Wildkin and other things - then when I get there I switch it to briefcase mode.

I'm also considering using the WF as my new personal item for 2-bag travel with maybe a 2nd WF as my backpack bag! Maybe the Trinity will solve my 2nd bag issue, but that won't be out until later this year. Here's the Pilot and WF in travel mode with a week's worth of stuff.

Here's the DLBP with the WF and A45 behind it; as before, the DLBP fits perfectly a main compartment of the WF:

Here's an Eagle Creek medium folder - it fits perfectly in a main compartment of the WF:

Here's the WF in EDC mode with a pair of size 13 gym shoes and a large SC:

Here's the pilot in relation to the WF:

Here's the Wildkin Lunch box:

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-03-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Abe21599
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
              I'd vote WF as you can have the front outside compartment separated into two to hold lunch on one side and various things like a coat, electronics, etc on the other with the rear compartment being for laptop, notebook, etc maybe with a Freudian Slip.

As a side note, I've frequently used the Wildkin lunch box which fits perfectly into the front small compartment of the WF (with room left over) and some colorways are only $8!. (I don't like to eat out for business travel so I'll typically make a bunch of salmon sandwiches, freeze them, put them in the wildkin, travel x-country, and put them in the fridge when I get to the hotel and they're still frozen!)

The other nice thing about the WF in backpack EDC mode is how the divided compartment now has a top and bottom and they're on the away-from-you part of the bag! This makes it great to carry more fragile items in the top small compartment which ensures nothing gets squished when hiking the bag and/or turning it for shoulder/briefcase mode, plus your laptop and heavier e-items are next to your back totally protected. The water bottle holder pocket is also great for a light jacket, travel umbrella, shopping bags, etc

Here's me travelling in Seattle using the WF as an EDC (and used it shoulder-bag style for air travel). For reference I'm 6'2 and wearing the bag low.

Lastly, as an FYI, the DLBP fits perfectly in the main compartment so you can use it as a packing cube, as does an Eagle Creek medium folder if you use those for packing. For business travel, I can get 3 suits plus underclothes in the WF and still carry the Wildkin and other things - then when I get there I switch it to briefcase mode.

I'm also considering using the WF as my new personal item for 2-bag travel with maybe a 2nd WF as my backpack bag! Maybe the Trinity will solve my 2nd bag issue, but that won't be out until later this year. Here's the Pilot and WF in travel mode with a week's worth of stuff.
              man, thanks so much for the photos. this may have just sold me on the WF (and possibly even the DLBP).

Comment

• BrendaH
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2019

I personally would be hesitant to put any lunch with other non food items because of leakage but I would suggest a Traveltrayor DLBP as a lunch carrier. Either could be folded up in your Pilot to take home. You might also take two days of lunches in a separate bag to leave at work.

I did look up the Wildkin lunch box and it looks like a winner!
                Last edited by BrendaH; 02-23-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X