Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,302   Posts: 197,945   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, MollyyEvelynn.

Knives or pocket tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d.markwig
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2013

Knives or pocket tools?

I'm constantly searching for "the one best pocket tool" ... which of course doesn't exist. Requirements for me are that you're allowed to take it on a plane, it has a knife blade and some screwdrivers, scissors, bottle opener. At the same time they should not be the heaviest or most clunky part of my EDC equipment.

As I've been using Swiss Army Knives by Victorinox since my father gave me my first pocket knife when I was 8 I'm still a little attached to these tools. ;-)

Currently I use a Victorinox Cybertool 29 or a Victorinox Outrider which both only cover some aspects.

So what are your experiences and recommendations?
  • jujigatame
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2013

I don't know what the airline allowances are in your neck of the woods but the Victorinox Super Tinker is a great package for the items you mention, plus a few more.

Comment

• Fat Crip
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2010

I have a Leatherman Wave in my Ristretto which covers most bases, however there is no corkscrew. This seems to be a serious omission to me. It is also quite heavy. Years ago I used to carry it on my belt, but today in Scotland that could run me the risk of arrest and 5 years in jail. I think it might be legal, just, but I'd prefer not to court attention.

I actually think that UK knife rules are too draconian. Since a child I have carried a length of string, a box of matches a rubber band and a sharp knife. The knife would be appropriate to the situation. E.g. in a smart business suit a slim 2" bladed Silver Tern lock knife, on the weekend my Wave, when fishing my waistcoat has a chunky Buck lock knife and my camping/hunting knives are a variety of sheath knives from 5-8" in length. However, as all are either lock or fixed bladed knives and most are over the 2.5" that is legal here, you have to be in a position to prove that you need to be carrying them, otherwise it's go straight to jail, do not collect £200! Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty!

Comment

• ArnieJB
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2012

Personally, I carry a knife clipped to one of my front pockets (usually alternating between a Benchmade Mini Griptilian and a Benchmade 707 Sequel) and a multi-tool in the car (LM Skeletool CX). Though, neither can accompany me on a plane.

Comment

• autolycus
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2011

I have a swiss+tech tool on my keychain and use it on occasion. I mostly have it because it fits perfectly with regular keys and doesn't raise any big questions. I just added a Leatherman Style PS to my travel kit since it should theoretically clear airport security--no knife blade. My car has an old Leatherman (Plus, maybe). For any hiking I always have a Leatherman Wave in my backpack. Nothing terribly exciting, I know. Each tool serves my limited purposes well enough though.

But now, thanks to some references to the EDC Forums on this forum, I have found the beautiful and legendary Atwood tools and wish Mr. Atwood would actually start producing enough to make them available for non-obsessives like myself. The swiss+tech tool could definitely be upgraded to a Prybaby or Atwrench! It wouldn't have a blade anymore, but frankly, the swiss+tech blade is barely worth much anyway. Anybody got tips on getting an Atwood tool without a) obsessively checking his blog or b) paying a fortune?

Comment

• jujigatame
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by autolycus View Post
            Anybody got tips on getting an Atwood tool without a) obsessively checking his blog or b) paying a fortune?
            Peter does try to give all a fair shot but he is a one man operation. Making the tools, taking the pictures, processing the orders, shipping them out, etc., it's all Peter. He has said he is not really interested in making a massive quantity of one tool for the purposes of having everybody get one. You can check out his thoughts about the matter on his website.

If there's a particular tool you want I would recommend emailing him directly and saying "do you happen to have any extra XYZ available?" There may be one available but it could be beadblast S30V with a left hand grind rather than the rainbow anodized titanium with stamps and edge grinds that you really had your eye on. The upshot would be that if you're willing to take what he might have left over you're getting a new tool at Peter's price rather than paying an inflated seconday market price. You should keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade area at EDCF since Atwoods get turned over there. Some of the folks who deal in them around the web are in it just to make a buck, like anything else that has demand outstrip supply, but if you're patient and stick to a budget you're comfortable with you should be able to get something you like eventually.

Comment

• dnarud13
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2013

I've had a Leatherman Juice in my edc for years. Very compact.
              Last edited by dnarud13; 05-04-2013, 11:13 PM.
              [2004] Brain Bag (w/Lg. A45 Packing Cube, Snake Charmer, Q-kit & 2 Brain cells)
              - [2010] Aeronaut45 (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)
              - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube, whistle, Sm. COP's & Q-kit)
              - - - [2015] Tristar (traded for A30)
              - - - - [2016] ID, Aeronaut30 (w/Absolute & Lg. Aether cube), Side Effect
              ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."

Comment

• d.markwig
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2013

Actually, what happened when I started to investigate EDC knives, I first bought a Victorinox Cybertool 34 as I figured it contains all the tools I usually need and still is a pretty small package (true).

Additionally I somehow got pulled into this whole knife stuff and decided to buy a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian in the Doug Ritter version (labeled "Doug Ritter Mini RSK Mk1").
                Then I figured, that I don't like the scales of said knife and now I'm contemplating getting some wooden custom scales from cuscadi.de.

Sometimes I'm just too easily drawn into geeking out ...

Comment

• jujigatame
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2013

The Grip/MiniGrip is a solid knife platform and the Ritter is a nice choice. You could also check out Kevin Wilkins for custom scales, though his are usually only in G10 to my knowledge.

Yup, just helping you spend more money.

Comment

• d.markwig
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by jujigatame View Post
                    Yup, just helping you spend more money.
                    Indeed.

Comment

• spraay
                      • May 2013

I have more knives and tools than I like to think about sometimes. Just like collecting anything else, you end up with a lot of whatever it is. Knifes and tools are one of those things for me.

For a good pocket knife, I like the Benchmade Mini Ritter in S30v. It's in my bag all the time. Somebody already mentioned Wilkins for nicer scales for the Griptillian family of knifes.

I also have a Spyderco Delica 4 (two actually, they're that good), Benchmade mini-Barrage and Kershaw Whirlwind (and a world of other small-medium-large pocket knives).

I have carried one knife, more than any other, and almost always in addition to any other knife or tool I have. This is the Victorinox Climber. I've had three over the last twenty years. I still have two of them. Lost the third one I know not where. I've had one of them back to Victorinox to replace a broken side plate. They fix them for free and have even sent me the toothpick/tweezers that I've lost out of them. Great knife, great company. At least keep one in the car or your desk drawer at work. I have a VictorinoxTinker on my desk right now (and a Buck Prince).

For a multi-tool, I always have a Leatherman Wave and the extra tool bit kit, in the daypack I use as a briefcase. I've carried a Tom Bihn Ego as well, but I like my pack more for EDC because it works on the motorcycle.

All of that said, my current favorite EDC knife is a Benchmade/Osbourne Rift (Model 950). It's kind of big for most social situations, I've noticed it makes some folks skittish. So I carry it on the weekends and in more robust company.

I believe all knives are still banned on scheduled airline flights in the United States (I haven't been on an airline flight in the last couple of weeks). I know they were planning on allowing small knives, but I believe that's been held up. I don't know what the rules are in Europe and I haven't been there in years. I'm a student pilot, and when I fly GA, I carry my Swiss Army Knife in my pocket and my flight bag has a Benchmade Triage and a Leatherman Wave in it.

SP

Comment

• Flinx
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2011

Currently carrying a Kershaw RAM, but also have a few others in my rotation.
                        Kershaw Blur is a constant in my SuperEgo, a couple of folding knives and a Leatherman (not sure which one) in the truck, and a small folder in my desk at work make sure I always have a sharp tool on hand.

And yes, TSA is NOT allowing knives on planes.
                        Last edited by Flinx; 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM.
                        Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut 45 in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Comment

• BagMonkey
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2010

They're hard to get, but Atwood's tools are nice.

Planet Pocket Tool

Comment

• jeffmac
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2011

After having donated too many multi-tools to the TSA here in the states I have been carrying one of these in my wallet.

PocketMonkey

I have also drug around a Letherman Style which has scissors but no blade, but it got taken away last time I went to Brazil...
                            ============================================

Comment

• backpack
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jeffmac View Post
                              After having donated too many multi-tools to the TSA here in the states I have been carrying one of these in my wallet.

PocketMonkey

I have also drug around a Letherman Style which has scissors but no blade, but it got taken away last time I went to Brazil...

Very cute tool! And you are right, the Tube is better than the Metro.

Comment

Working...
                              X