Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 as only backpack?

Not sure if the last post posted, but i'll post again as i can't see it.

I'm a travelling nomad. Work in Africa and travel around the world in my time off. I'm a city to city place to palce traveller. Not a hiker or anything of that nature. More a fly/bus/train/boat to a place, walk/bus/taxi to the hostel, drop my backpack off at the hostel, pick up my day pack and wander the streets for the day. I pack light, i'm talking about 6kgs of luggage in my backpack light. One pair shorts, 2 shirts, 3 undies, 3 socks, muslim prayer mat, small towel, sleeping bag liner, pacsafe travel safe, a small travel cigar humidor which holds about 5 cigars, very small bag of toiletries (i'm a bloke so yeah just toothbrush, small toothpaste, bottle of cologne). At most i've had 8 kg/s of stuff when bringing things like 3kg's of coffee back to work for my 10 weeks at work. My current bag is a blackwolf pinnacle 40L. It's served me very well the last 2 years, the only reason i'm looking to change is the top loading is becoming tiresome. Always carry as a backpack, and that's what my question here is today.

I'm worried about the sturdyness of the A45 used solely as a backpack with the straps.
    - Will the straps fail where they are stitched to the bag at the top?
    - Will the straps fail where it clips to the bag at the bottom?
    - Will the strap in gneeral be strong enough to be used solely as a backpack?

Also on the comfort front, considering how much weight it will ahve in it, how comfortable would it be? As i said i'm not hiking in it, but i do have the usual long walks across airports then to the train station, then the usual 1-3 k'm walk from train station to hostel. Will the straps be able to put up with this use? will it be too uncomfortable?

For the record i wil also be buying the shoulder strap and the waistbelt with the bag should i decide to make the purchase. Not sure if it'll be comfortable with the weight it will be loaded with but i'll give the shoulder strap a try for sure.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. I wish Tb made a sole backpack with the same function as the A45, i would have bought it in a heart beat! Smilie

Thank you all and happy travels to you.
    Last edited by LordAnubis; 08-12-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi LordAnubis! I have an Aeronaut 45 that I bought used, so I don't really know how old it is ( a few years is my guess). I can say that it's pretty much indestructible. If it ever fails, it's guaranteed for life. It might be a pain to ship it across the globe and wait for it to come back, but it's guaranteed!
    I don't foresee the shoulder straps ever failing. They are quite well attached to the bag. The only issue I can foresee is the adjustment straps getting caught in conveyer belts and getting torn, but if you tuck the shoulder straps away when you're not wearing the bag, that won't be an issue.

Even if you don't decide on an Aeronaut, please come back and post pictures of your travels! Everyone here loves photos. Smilie

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings LordAnubis,
    Tom Bihn is renowned for the quality and workmanship of his bags. Indestructible is a great description!

They are very comfortable, too. If I recall, Maverick is in London right now and walked more than a mile with his TB bag on his back and his wife's bag on his shoulder. Very comfortable, indeed!

The weight you listed will be easily carried in the Aeronaut 45, many people carry twice the weight you do. Most airlines in America have a 50 pound (22 kilograms) limit for luggage. A majority of people fill their bag to the weight limit. Tom Bihn bags easily handle this much weight, but you might get weary from it.

I have a question about your packing list. Did you fill your 40 liter bag nearly full? I wonder if your things will fit in the Aeronaut 30. What size is the prayer mat when packed in your bag?

What else do you carry? Papers, computer, other electronics? Perhaps the Western Flyer or TriStar bags might fit your needs.

What ever you decide, Tom Bihn bags are known for their durability and long life. I love mine! elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 08-12-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Thanks for the replies. I only ever carry on luggage. Never check in. I have a simple goruck sd15 that is use as my personal bag in which I have a tablet and a few cables etc and power adapters.

Most of the time my 40L is not full currently. However there are occasions when I need the space. Sometimes I buy a box of cigars on the way through duty free or as said I bring back 3 kilos of coffee with me to work etc. so yeah the extra space is definitely needed for those rare occasions. Also sometimes I will carry cold weather clothing depending on where I'm going. Normally I buy anything more than basic weather gear at the location then donate it to charity before I leave.

Here's some pics of my travels. I'm not much of a photographer. It bores me taking pics to be honest, in more of a enjoy the moment kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 as only backpack?

I have an Aeronaut 45 and I almost always use it in backpack mode.
    It tends to be full and I walk 1-2 km with it.
    I'm sure that the straps will hold anything I put in the bag.
    It is also comfortable to wear, but of course not as comfortable as a hiking backpack. Sometimes I have to repack it, to adjust the weight or where things are in the bag to carry it comfortable.
    I recommend the waist belt when you walk a longer distance.
    I hope this helps you with your decision.

Thanks for sharing your photos. Aeronaut 45 as only backpack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your travels definitely look more interesting than mine! Since you're not talking about extended hiking, the A45 should serve you quite well. I just used mine for a trip with plenty of walking from train stations and around airports and found it to be comfortable in backpack mode for the short haul (easily 1-3km plus a long airport delay during which I probably logged about 10km wandering around the terminals for entertainment). I was carrying 9-10kg. I did find that during the stint in the airport, I had occasion to mourn the lack of a hip belt but I couldn't blame the bag since it's not intended to be used that way and also, I chose to schlep it around for that long. I also wore it while standing on a train for an hour or so and while that got old, it wasn't devastatingly uncomfortable. The straps and connections all tuck cleverly away if you do need to check the bag or if you want to carry it by the handle or a shoulder strap.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aeronaut 45 will hold way more than your current setup. Tom Bihn bags just have a way of swallowing up stuff!

My suggestion (like AlaskaGirl) is that an A30 may work for you...also you should think about the TriStar. At least give one of those a shot because from your packing list it seems like you can put your stuff in as well as souveniers in those smaller bags and they will be easier to travel with.