Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 big enough for me?

Looking at purchasing a synapse 25. I'd like to carry with me: My 15" Macbook laptop, iPad, chargers, a 1.5" Binder, a notepad, maybe a book or two, also a pair of gym shoes, gym clothes, and lunch.

Would I be able to fit this all in synapse 25? I noticed the bottom compartment would be perfect for shoes if they would fit in there? Or should I look at something bigger like the brain bag?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 big enough for me?

I use a Synapse 25 as an EDC and think that your stuff would fit. Shoes go in the bottom. A bento box goes in the main section's little pouch. The main section should hold a laptop, binder and book. The gym clothes too (maybe in a stuff sack).

Lots of people like the Smart Alec because it has a single huge section. I use the S25 side compartments for a stuff sack of charging equipment and for a sample of pens, a knife, a handkerchief, etc. People may say your list would be better in a Smart Alec because you have big items like binders, books, lunch as opposed to these small items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fulton; 08-25-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size are your feet? If you have big feet, I don't think your shoes will go in the bottom compartment, or at least not without significantly reducing the amount of space in the main compartment. My guess is that your stuff will go into the S25, but for optimal use of space the shoes may have to go in the main compartment. (The BB is definitely overkill for your stated purpose.)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Size 10.5.

Also, how do I tell if the bag color im ordering is cordura or not? Was looking at the grey/ultraviolet

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonc91 View Post
    Size 10.5.

Also, how do I tell if the bag color im ordering is cordura or not? Was looking at the grey/ultraviolet
    For the currently available colours, the only non-cordura fabric is black dyneema and it is labelled as such on the drop-down menu. Everything else is cordura.

I just test-packed my hub's Nike Max Air shoes. He's a 9.5 and the shoes were packed into a plastic bag; they just made it into the lower compartment for a snug fit. If yours are regular track shoes or chunkier, they may have to go into the main compartment. You can then put your lunchbox, gym clothes, etc. in the lower pocket (or something to that effect)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be heavy, but you can fit it.

This is what I carry in mine on gym/work days:
    http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...tml#post102567

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. was also looking at the Goruck GR1 but not in love with the military look for school/casual offices. Anyone have experiences with both? One thing is it seems like it would be hard to get stuff out of the internal pockets in the GR1 without opening up the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    It's going to be heavy, but you can fit it.

This is what I carry in mine on gym/work days:
    http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...tml#post102567
    Do you put the shoes in the bottom pocket?

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. was also looking at the Goruck GR1 but not in love with the military look for school/casual offices. Anyone have experiences with both? One thing is it seems like it would be hard to get stuff out of the internal pockets in the GR1 without opening up the entire thing.

Someone I work with got a Goruck some time back. I don't know if it was the GR1. It isn't my cup of tea, but that's personal taste.

Trying to speak unbiasedly, one of the things that really makes the Tom Bihn backpacks so great are the backpack straps -- specially if you're going to be putting a lot of stuff in there. One of the things I recall looking at their Goruck was that the backpack straps seemed very thick. Also, the bag seemed really heavy for its size.
    -m

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have a GR1 - but, a while back, I found a good comparison review of the GR1 and Smart Alec (Brooks review). The Pros/Cons there also apply to the Synapse 25, IMHO:

"Tom Bihn creates bags where everything neatly has its spot and if there isn’t a spot built in, you can add that spot with an accessory of some sort. GORUCK is a bag with many compartments, all of which are undefined."

"The idea behind Tom Bihn is not only that everything has its neat little spot, but that the entire bag is operated from what I will call a standing position. The bag is made to be used while resting on the bottom of the bag. GORUCK’s bag is made to be used from a laying down perspective — meaning the part of the bag that touches your back is to be laid down on a surface when you need to open the bag."

The GR1 seems to be the tougher bag (not by too much) but it really depends on where you are using it (conservative work, outdoor retail store, etc):

"The Smart Alec blends better in business, and likely in travel when you want a lower profile. The GORUCK just looks mean — and there’s nothing wrong with that."

In the end, my take is that the SA (and Synapse 25) is best for commuting, business and travel - especially urban. The GORUCK for outdoors hiking, casual EDC if you are ok with the millitary look. There could be a place for either bag IMHO depending on your environment, use and personal style.

The S25 (and SA) however has the addition option of a Dyneema version to keep the pet hairs at bay which the GORUCK would have an issue with as it is the similar 1000d Cordura (I do not have an issue with my Cat and my Cordura Synapse 25 but others have preferred not to deal with the pet hairs). I would also suspect that the GORUCK is heavier and bulkier to wear as @maverick mentions and the review also comments on.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-26-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Also, the bag seemed really heavy for its size.
    I've seen the GR1 listed around 3.2 lbs in a few reviews. GoRuck does not list a base weight on their product page. Compare that to about 1.8 lbs for a Synapse 25 in cordura.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Size 10.5.
    Concerning whether the Size 10.5 running shoes would fit in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25:

I just put in my men's US Size 11 shoes (high stability New Balance 857) into my Black Cordura S25 bottom pocket. They fit - but I had to do some wiggling to get it in. I would not want to do this if they were dirty (mud, wet, etc). YMMV as my shoes have a wider than normal base (due to them being High Stability shoes). I think it is passable to do but you will be stretching the zippers to get it in.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a LOT of experience with the GR1 and am happy to answer any questions. For what it's worth I use an SA for my daily commute but I've probably used a GR1 for 3 years on-and-off for commuting. The back of the GR1 is all Cordura which HEATS UP. Prepare for some summer back sweat if you go that route :P

Edit: I thought I was on the SA post not the S25 post Smilie
    Last edited by AllDayRuckoff; 08-27-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Current EDC: S25 (BlkHyc)
    Current Closet: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk), SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
    Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I put my size 10 1/2 in bottom pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk