Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 bottom pocket

Just wondering what others use the bottom pocket for on the Synapse 19 (S19)?.
    I realise I could probably fit a pair of shoes in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25 (S25), but will this work in the S19?.
    I could only think I would be lucky to fit in a pair of flip flops (UK size 6 womens), but not sure that would the best use
    of space.
    What do you use yours for?
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 bottom pocket

In my S19 I have a pair of size 6.5, Xero Shoes (which are pretty flip flop like Smilie) and a lightweight waterproof jacket. When the weather turns colder I will swap the flip flops for a hat and gloves.

There's still a reasonable amount of room in there.
    Last edited by ceepee; 08-26-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the bottom pocket of the Synapse 19 would be a good place for hat, gloves, rain jacket or fleece, a Side Effect (perhaps not fully loaded), food, change of lightweight clothing.
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my not very full Side Effect in the bottom pocket of my Synapse 19 (work EDC) so that I can grab it to use as a purse if going out to lunch, to grab something at the store, etc. It's a bit of a squeeze (my SE is ballistic so in dyneema might be easier) but totally do-able. I've also used the bottom pocket for two (!) pairs of US women's size 7 shoes while traveling - but they were both very lightweight shoes (Luna Sandals (similar to Xero shoes) and Soft Star Shoes ballet flats). That pocket can also work well for a 3D organizer cube (plus some space). I think it's good for items that are a bit bigger but need easy access, so a rain jacket, scarf, etc makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my bottom pocket for a 3DOC - mesh. I have all of my cables, battery charger, etc. in it.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bottom pocket is kind of a catch-all: small OP (with toothbrush and paste, small GoTubb with ibuprofen and acetaminophen, band aids), Flip & Tumble shopping bag, small card game, and carabiner. It's all stuff I want with me, but am not necessarily using frequently; this pocket is big enough to be useful, accessible enough to be handy, but still out of the way.

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies..Is there a particular bag/pouch, that is made specifically for the bottom packet.
    Like the snake charmer is for the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25?
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    Thanks for your replies..Is there a particular bag/pouch, that is made specifically for the bottom packet.
    Like the snake charmer is for the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25?
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    Not per se, but the Side Effect fits in quite nicely if it's not too stuffed. The Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack also works pretty well, and, of course, 3D Organizer Cubes are a natural choice, even though they don't fill up the entire pocket.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a SSK fit in the bottom pocket?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a women's 7/men's 5 (US sizes) in Converse, and barely got a pair of low top Converse to fit in mine. Currently using my bottom pocket for a pouch with my feminine items in it, a small glasses draw sting pouch with 3 UBS cables and a wall adapter, and my Nintendo DS XL in a basic case from Amazon. With all those things in there I can still fit a pair of earbuds in one of those small Brainwavz cases.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbladen View Post
    Does a SSK fit in the bottom pocket?
    If you're asking about the Spiff Kit, Standard, then I think it is slightly too tall to fit easily into the bottom front pocket of the Synapse 19. (I can't easily check this right now -- maybe someone else on the forums can take a picture, but the Spiff Kit, Standard is taller than the Side Effect, which is in turn taller than the 3D Organizer Cubes that I usually stash in the S19 bottom pocket -- either a couple of these or the new Small Snake Charmer. The Side Effect is about as tall an accessory as I can fit into that bottom pocket, and not if it's stuffed (see @ClaireJ's post #4 above) -- I generally will use a Halcyon version in there.) The other reason that I'm pretty sure the Spiff Kit can't fit in easily, is that I can just about fit a Standard Moleskine into the Standard Spiff Kit (see @Ilkyway's Spiff Kit Standard WOW thread) @Ilkyway has a number of good pictures comparing the Spiff Kit Standard with the Side Effect viewed from above, side by side, etc. in that thread.

My picture showing that a Moleskine can just fit into one half of the Spiff Kit Standard (and you can zip it shut)

When I try to stick a hard cover Moleskine into the bottom pocket of the S19, it definitely pokes into the top of the compartment. So, it may work to put the Standard Spiff Kit in the bottom pocket, if you don't fill it, and are prepared to scrunch it down a bit, but I think that it is not a "comfortable fit". The Standard Spiff Kit works well in the bottom pocket of an S25, though.

If you want something that unzips open on 3 sides like the Spiff Kit Standard, has similar volume to the Side Effect, but with grab handles like the Spiff Kit, try the First/Second Aid Pouch, which will fit into the bottom pocket of the Synapse 19:

Second Aid Pouch is sized like a Side Effect (so longer than a 3D cube), but with handles:
    • Dimensions: 8.3” x 4.9” x 2.2” / 210 x 125 x 50 mm
    • Weight: 4.2 oz / 120 grams
    • Volume: 90 cubic inches / 1.6 quarts / 1.5 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

Side Effect:
    • Dimensions: 8.6" x 5" x 2" / 220 x 130 x 50 mm
    • Weight: 6.4 oz / 185 grams (Ballistic Nylon); 5.8 oz / 163 grams (Halcyon)
    • Volume: 90 cubic inches / 1.6 quarts / 1.5 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

HTH. (And maybe someone else can post a picture to show the Spiff Kit scrunched into the bottom pocket of an S19)

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would a large snake charmer not fit in the bottom of the S19v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S19?*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Small Snake Charmer and 3D Organizer Cube fit very well in the bottom pocket; the Large Snake Charmer and the Standard Spiff Kit are too large to fit without squeezing them in, which would be impractical if you wanted to fill them to capacity.

Forum Member
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the S19 and both a large and small Snake Charmer (holds travel adapter, laptop charger, and assorted wires, etc,). In my experience the the small Snake Charmer works best as you can use both sides of the bag. It fills the space nicely. The larger Snake charmer won't fit fully loaded and barely half loaded while you also have to deal with a lot of excess material to stuff inside.

Sent from my LGM-G600L using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast