Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eagle Creek Packing Folders in Aeronaut

I'm looking at purchasing an EC folder for my husband to make his Aeronaut more usable for business travel. I know that a Tristar would probably be the better solution for business travel but he loves his Aeronaut and Cadet combo. Typically, it would be used for a pair of suit trousers and up to 3 business shirts. Lots of you seem to use the EC folders with your favorite TB bag but which sizes fit best? We have both an A30 and A45, so sizes that fit both would be useful. Thanks all!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The medium size would be your best bet. It will hold what you want to take and fit into the A45. It would be a tight fit for the A30. (The small packing folder is not meant for pants, just shirts).

However, I'm going to suggest an alternative. The packing folders come with a folding board to use when packing trousers and shirts. I suggest you get some cardboard and cut out your own folding boards and use them in a packing cube. Your best bet would be to use one designed for the Aeronaut. If not, the "cube" size from Eagle Creek would work as well.

Have a cardboard folding board for each shirt and keep them in when packing. This will help prevent the shirt from getting wrinkled. (With the packing folder, the board is removed and the shirt is kept from moving by the folder.) You could put one cardboard sheet inside the folded trousers. (I got my shirt cardboards from a local dry cleaner and then cut them to size.)

Since the large packing cubes are basically interchangeable in each Aeronaut, this method would work for both bags.

I've been using it and it helps lessen the weight by a few ounces over using the packing folder.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool tip. Off to the cardboard shop...
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome idea, Frank .... thanks so much 😄

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just for your information, you can also view @Frank II's original Folding Board for Aeronaut or other TB bags thread.

moriond

San Pedro, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a medium Eagle Creek folder for my A45. It works well for keeping my dress clothes folded. My recommendation is that you purchase smaller packing cubes to filling the rest of the A45. The medium folder takes up most of the center compartment, so smaller cubes for socks, underwear, and smaller items, makes more efficient use of the space.

When i'm packing for vacation (i.e. non dress clothes), I use packing cubes in my A45. I have 2 End Pocket Packing Cubes and 4 Eagle Creek Medium Scepter cubes that work nicely and enable access to my clothes. I also have, and recommend, the Travel Stuff Sack for the A45. Its pricey but it is great to keep your clean and dirty underwear separate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my travel system:
    • A45
    • EC Pack-It Folder Medium
    • EC Pack-It Cube [medium]
    • EC Pack-It Half Cube [small]
    • EC Pack-It Quick Trip dopp bag
    • EC Travel Sac for TSA 3-1-1 compliance liquids
    • EC Compression Sac Large

I use the EC Pack-It Folder Medium, EC Pack-It Cube, and EC Pack-It Half Cube in my A45. I can easily pack for 5 days on a professional conference trip. The folder is great with keeping my slacks and shirts tidy while I'm rolling undergarments, socks, and undershirts the medium and small cubes. With the folder, you'll have to unzip/unsnap the interior dividers in the A45 for it to fit. At first I was concerned with the remaining space in the side compartments. I was still able to fit a second pair of shoes, Rainbow sandals, dopp bag, 3-1-1 bag, sunglasses case, and still have some room left. It wasn't over packed at all.

In conjunction to my A45, I typically have a small laptop bag with 13" MB, iPad Mini, cables, chargers, Clif bars.

On my return trips, I use the compression sac to reduce occupied space even more. Putting all my dirty laundry in it keeps them "sealed" from my clean clothes which typically is a light jacket and/or souvenir shirts.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread. Are the Pack-It Folders mostly useful if you are going on a more formal/business trip? I will be packing casual clothes for London. Our dress code at work is business casual and I'll probably take those clothes, as I am a very sloppy dresser around the house.

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Reviving this thread. Are the Pack-It Folders mostly useful if you are going on a more formal/business trip? I will be packing casual clothes for London. Our dress code at work is business casual and I'll probably take those clothes, as I am a very sloppy dresser around the house.
    I swear by the Eagle Creek Folders and use them most times I pack. I have the 15" and 18", but only the 18" since it's the best fit for my XL mens clothing; My wife finds the 15" is a good size for her. My rule of thumb for using the Folders: If it can wrinkle, it goes inside. I always use it for pants and shirts. Clothing like sweaters, knit polo shirts, t shirts, etc. can go inside a Folder and it might save a little space since it can compress the stack of clothing, but it's not essential. The 18" fits perfectly in my Tri-Star and Brain Bag while the 15" will fit in just about any TB bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I am not sure which size I have but I think I may use it for shirts/tunics.

I like your username. I have a brother named Steve and my DH is named Steve. Years ago, my sister dated a Steve. They were known as The Three Steves, or Big Steve, Medium Steve and Little Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    I swear by the Eagle Creek Folders and use them most times I pack. I have the 15" and 18", but only the 18" since it's the best fit for my XL mens clothing; My wife finds the 15" is a good size for her. My rule of thumb for using the Folders: If it can wrinkle, it goes inside. I always use it for pants and shirts. Clothing like sweaters, knit polo shirts, t shirts, etc. can go inside a Folder and it might save a little space since it can compress the stack of clothing, but it's not essential. The 18" fits perfectly in my Tri-Star and Brain Bag while the 15" will fit in just about any TB bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I'll second the "if it wrinkles" and add "if it has a collar." It's wonderful to know that your collar points, even on polos, won't get bent/creased if you stack the shirts carefully in the folder. I haven't tried Frank II's method, but I think that the folder adapts to the contents better than a cube does. Very useful if you're only taking one or two items that need special folding. However, I don't like that the velcro can snag on other things in your bag. Be careful if you've got knits!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    However, I don't like that the velcro can snag on other things in your bag. Be careful if you've got knits!
    I second this! The velcro is something I have to be careful of as well. This is why I've used Frank II's method above. I've taken an EC folder plastic thingy, wrapped my nice slacks around it, and then placed it in my Wester Flyer large packing cube with other clothes. But, I do really like how the velcro compresses things very nicely and makes it so that things will not move around. If I had the Specter folder (so much lighter and less bulky than the others), I would just remind myself to be careful all the time. Each time I see them at REI, I pick one up, but then force myself to put it back. Most of my travel does not involve needing to be careful about wrinkly clothing so I can't justify it when I already have two at home.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for "collars = folder" tip. I'm typically dressed in a collared shirt 90% of the time regardless of leisure or business. So for me the EC folder is invaluable.
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 15" Specter but haven't used it yet. My husband uses a regular one and I borrowed it enough (or wheedled something of mine into it often enough) that I finally sprang for my own when I saw one at STP.