Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Founders Briefcase or Pilot for commuters?

Hi All,
    Anyone using a Founders Briefcase and can share their experience packing a bottle of water and a lunch in it?
    I was almost completely sold on a Pilot for its versatility and extreme organization. But I'm being encouraged by my better half to find something a little bit more "professional's briefcase" than "traveler's gear bag" in appearance. I carry a 15" Macbook pro, usually a small camera (Fuji X100), pocket sized notebook, sunglasses, and a wide mouth Klean Kanteen, plus frequently a sweater, and all manner of keys, pens, highlighters, folding knife etc.

Up until recently I've been extremely pleased carrying this in a Synapse 19 but my work responsibilities are changing placing me much more often in meetings where I'm obliged to dress, and the backpack is starting to make me feel a little out of place. So now I'm falling down this rabbit hole of briefcase shopping. All of the really fine ones I see from folks other than TB lack the all important organization I have come to love so much from using my Synapse and WF. So I'm quite set on another TB acquisition, but I'd like to hear about anyone's experience using their Pilot in a dressed up setting, or their Founder's Briefcase doing some EDC duty.

Thanks everyone for anything you can share!
    -Jeff

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the Pilot is fine for a professional workplace with Tumi bags, etc. I work at a managerial level in the IT department of a large bank so I can relate. Here is a picture of my Pilot on me (I do cross-body as it is small enough to do so - but note that a 15" MBP is a tight fit - doable based on other forum members pictures and feedback but a tight fit and not one of the recommended caches for this bag):

However, if needing to be very professional, I would steer you towards the Cadet - that is the ultimate in professional and slick, IMHO. The Cadet is slightly more volume than both the Pilot and Founder's Briefcase. See this post for what I put in my Cadet:

What is in my Cadet

The Founder's Briefcase is a good choice too but is a more relaxed look so not as professional IMHO - but is structurally more the "Norm" than the Pilot if you know what I mean.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A second vote for the cadet. I think it would be perfect for the purpose and EDC you are describing.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with @tpnl (and @bijouxandbeads), with the additional comment that you might find it easier to fit your 15" MacBook Pro into the Cadet, compared to the Pilot, but if the other items you carry are "blockier" (like large Camera lenses), then the Pilot tends to work better (also if you intend to turn your briefcase into an overnight bag for your clothing when you travel, the Pilot works better.)

You might consider looking at the video review @itsablur did of the Founder's briefcase. Compare it to his Pilot Review

HTH

moriond