Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Clear wallet yellowing?

Is that a common thing that happens with the clear wallet? My transparent window is now really yellow :/

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jordi View Post
    Is that a common thing that happens with the clear wallet? My transparent window is now really yellow :/
    How old is your wallet? Cloudiness is often reported (which can be fixed by wiping the urethane with isopropyl alcohol, generally) but not yellowing. One of my wallets from 2010 is a bit jaundiced, but that's from the discolouration of the white Ultrasuede divider. I'd be interested to see photos, if you are of a mind to post any.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wallet is still clear. I've used it daily since May 2013 and keep only coins in the front section. The dividers are gray.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that's not common (at least in our experience here in customer service). Has it been left out in the sun for extended periods of time, or exposed to any chemicals or traditional detergents?

Have you sent an email to emailus@tombihn.com with photos, jordi? If not, I'd recommend you do so -- that's the best way to talk to one of our crew and figure out exactly what's going on with your bag/accessory/etc!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    How old is your wallet? Cloudiness is often reported (which can be fixed by wiping the urethane with isopropyl alcohol, generally) but not yellowing.
    @jordi, Here's the thread about 0.16 Clear Urethane Discoloration from July 2014. As @adalangdon remarks, this cloudiness (not yellowing) has been reported for some products made with the current urethane, but this can be fixed by wiping it down with a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol. I've seen this for a few pouches (like my size 1 knitting tool pouch, or a clear organizer wallet), but never at a level as extreme as shown in the pictures in that thread, and wiping done with the isopropyl alcohol has always fixed this. I haven't noticed yellowing in the various generations of urethane they've used (in efforts to find the right mixture of thinness, non-stickiness, and clarity over time). And by the way, I never encountered the "cloudiness" issue in any of my older urethane wallets, organizer pouches or cubes, which go all the way back to their first clear organizer wallets, clear quarter packing cubes, and 3DClear Organizer Cubes.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow so many replies so quickly! I'll take some pictures when I can later today and email / post them, thanks everyone