Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3-1-WHAT?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really terrific idea!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaMandy View Post
    For most of my toiletry needs, I use solids (shampoo) or powders (tooth powder). For the things I *must* have in liquid form (lotion, sunscreen), I keep it in a (generic, store brand...cheap) zip top bag inside my TB clear cube, which is attached to a keystrap linked to my bag.

For most airports I've been to in the US, simply pulling out the cube (leaving it attached) is sufficient for screening. When I went through Frankfurt, though, they wanted the 3-1-1 bag totally separate, and I just pulled the zip top baggie (with stuff in it) out of the clear cube and that was fine.

It may seem like unnecessary redundancy, but I *really* like how durable the clear cube is, when moving from one hostel counter to another, and just general schlepping around in my bag when I travel. WAAAAAAY more durable than even a freezer zip top bag. An added bonus is that you can have a "mock" Spiff Kit:

- Mesh 3d cube with long key strap attached to both sides and a short keystrap attached to one side (other end left dangling)
    - Clear 3d cube with short keystrap attached to one side, other end attached to bag or pocket for easy retrieving in airports.
    - At your destination, or after clearing airports, use the short (free-ended) keystrap from the mesh cube, attach to other side of clear cube. Short keystrap on clear cube attaches to mesh cube (so they're strapped together, one short strap on each side). Long keystrap stays hooked to both sides of mesh cube, to be used as a handle and/or hanging strap. This set-up can be used to hang from towel racks, doorknobs, shower rods - you name it. Solids in mesh cube, liquids in clear cube.

I actually prefer this set-up over a Spiff Kit simply *because* I can take it completely apart. A Spiff Kit necessarily has to be packed as a whole.....a Mock SK can have one part wedged in a small nook or cranny somewhere in your bag, and the other part in another.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    That's a really terrific idea!
    I don't believe that this will work in the current security environment.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

WNC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I've had no problems so far. I've used this set up going through Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Athens, plus various domestic airports, as recently as April. Some airports are ok with a tethered clear 3-1-1 bag, some not. As I said, in Frankfurt, I had to pull the plastic zip-top bag out to scan separately, but that was no big deal.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean....can you elaborate?
    Black Dyneema/Wasabi SA (with UMP & LMP and GloWire), Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Olive/Wasabi MCB, Verde/UV Swift, Black Dyneema/Island A30, Black Dyneema/Iberian Co-Pilot, PCSB in Wasabi, SSB's in Black & Wasabi, LSB's in Zest & NW Sky, TT's in Steel & Wasabi, Various Packing Cubes, TSS's, YSS's, OP's, and QKITs

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically use a non-TB bag for liquids--it's a zippered sil-nylon and clear pouch that's a bit smaller than a regular quart ziploc bag. However, I always keep a quart freezer bag w/ slider zip rolled up in the bottom. It's been a rare occurrence to be asked to put everything into the ziploc instead, but I'm happy to have it on hand while using the more durable one in most cases.

In my experience in many airports (US and int'l), security screening procedures vary widely and are pretty unpredictable. For instance, I just got home from Colombia, and had been expecting a long and thorough security check in BOG, but they didn't even have me take the liquids pouch out of my main bag. They did however take my disposable lighter which had previously traveled just fine through at least six countries. I've had things confiscated that shouldn't have been (tweezers), and things missed or ignored that should have been taken (liquid deodorant and a Swiss Army knife--both of which I'd forgotten were in my bag).

Regardless of what they may choose to enforce for any given traveller, the security personnel have the power to enforce the rules as written. So...if you can be prepared to follow the letter of the rules at the screening checkpoint then you will be pleasantly surprised when you get through with a slightly more "spirit of the law" set up like my own and some mentioned above, but not terribly inconvenienced when you have to dump all those liquids into the baggie you brought with.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had no problems so far. I've used this set up going through Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Athens, plus various domestic airports, as recently as April. Some airports are ok with a tethered clear 3-1-1 bag, some not. As I said, in Frankfurt, I had to pull the plastic zip-top bag out to scan separately, but that was no big deal.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean....can you elaborate?
    I'm assuming that ceb is saying that security is going to be even tighter after the recent downing of the Russian airliner and last week's terrorist attacks in Paris and Lebanon.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the original lunch zip bag I first used when the 3-1-1 rule was put in place.

I use a freezer clear zip bag inside of a 3D Cube in Dyneema. It has became part of my EDC.
    It contains the essentials liquid/gel items I might need like stain removing pen and various kind of goo (cream or gel) to keep my skin for drying in 100 degree heat or freezing wind.
    I also added powder make up to add some color, if necessary.*

When it is time to travel the dry ingredients are moved to another freezer zip bag inside another TB Dyneema 3D Cube or a Travel Stuff Sack or added to one of the OP in my EDC.

Before, the 3-1-1 zip plastic bag was, usually, scanned in its Dyneema 3D Cube. I also took it out and placed it in the bin, inside or next to, the Travel Tray.

* A little bit of dry makeup can be scraped into a contact lens container and added to goo to make a custom cream blush/eye shadow or concealer, because it is always the day that one has a blemish or had a 30 minutes nap that feels like two and a half minutes, with the under eyes Grand Canyons to prove it, that Robert Redford shows up or, one has to make a presentation or, your family and friends are having a "get into my selfie" contest.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-18-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heathrow security was OK with my 3DCC recently but Aberdeen made me rebag everything (they supplied the bag). I've been able to use unconventional 3-1-1 bags at many airports, but on the rare occasion I've had to repack, it's an added hassle at the already stressful security line. If the 3DCC were enjoyable to use at the destination I wouldn't mind, but I found the small size inconvenient and the little hook didn't do it for me. I've gone back to a regular ziplock and an underfilled toiletry bag for non-liquids. After security or at the hotel or wherever, I transfer liquids into that bag so everything's in one place.

Global Entry/TSA Precheck helps when flying out of a U.S. airport--leave the 3-1-1 bag in your suitcase and this becomes a moot issue!

La Mesa (San Diego), California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a few rare occasions, I've had TSA refuse to allow the clear quarter packing cube (different airports but all domestic flights). The agent said my liquids must be in a ziplock bag only...no zippers (like @Ilkyway mentioned above). So now, even if I can fit all my liquids into a clear quarter packing cube, I keep a couple quart size ziplock bags on hand just in case.
    🐝➰

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently flew in quite a few small flights within Europe. One time, I forgot to get out the 3:1:1 bag (using a cheap give away zipped bag similar to the Tom bihn, but zip broke after a few weeks unsurprisingly) and my daughter forgot to get her water bottle out of her bag (a rollable platypus) and no one commented although they did search my other daughter's aeronaut 30 because of the collection of souvenir key chains we were collecting (to hang on the Christmas tree and remember our trip - great cheap souvenir that doesn't take up much space!).

After that, we 'forgot' on the next few flights - there is already plenty to remember when sheparding a few kids through an airport.

I'm not sure what that means. At first we thought maybe they don't worry about liquids in within Europe flights? But then we saw signs about the amount you are allowed to carry. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any idea why they weren't picking them up?

Airlines were meridians, Aegean, Turkish, and a few others which I can't remember right now.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I recently flew in quite a few small flights within Europe. One time, I forgot to get out the 3:1:1 bag (using a cheap give away zipped bag similar to the Tom bihn, but zip broke after a few weeks unsurprisingly) and my daughter forgot to get her water bottle out of her bag (a rollable platypus) and no one commented although they did search my other daughter's aeronaut 30 because of the collection of souvenir key chains we were collecting (to hang on the Christmas tree and remember our trip - great cheap souvenir that doesn't take up much space!).

After that, we 'forgot' on the next few flights - there is already plenty to remember when sheparding a few kids through an airport.

I'm not sure what that means. At first we thought maybe they don't worry about liquids in within Europe flights? But then we saw signs about the amount you are allowed to carry. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any idea why they weren't picking them up?

Airlines were meridians, Aegean, Turkish, and a few others which I can't remember right now.
    I'd opine that all that changed last weekend in Paris and once ISIS claimed they brought down the Russian plane with explosives in a soda can.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I'd opine that all that changed last weekend in Paris and once ISIS claimed they brought down the Russian plane with explosives in a soda can.
    Yes, sadly I am sure you're right.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the 3DOC on flights when I know that I'm bringing less than the maximum allowance. I also bring a spare Ziploc bag just in case. I'm trying to transition myself to using solid toiletries (shampoo bar that doubles as laundry bar OR I bring separate laundry soap powder). Next project: learning how to make my own lotion bars.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I use the 3DOC on flights when I know that I'm bringing less than the maximum allowance. I also bring a spare Ziploc bag just in case. I'm trying to transition myself to using solid toiletries (shampoo bar that doubles as laundry bar OR I bring separate laundry soap powder). Next project: learning how to make my own lotion bars.
    In case you don't want to make your own, I just found and highly recommend the Moon Valley Organics Lotion Bar. They're local to me so I just pick them up at their Pike Place Market stand, but Whole Foods carries them as well. The lavender is AMAZING but strong, the vanilla and coconut flavors are much less intense.

As for laundry powder, Amazon's creepily-accurate recommendation system popped up with this "Wash and Stain bar" from a company called The Laundress. I found them cheaper at Soap.com and tossed them in an order that had already reached their free shipping minimum. I haven't received them yet so I don't know if they'll live up to the hype, but Internet reviews were pretty good.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation!

I have just discovered the Lush shampoo bar in Lullaby, with its cute little tin. I was afraid to try Lush products because I had heard stuff about how your hair ended up smelling like a fruit basket or something! But Lullaby is a very nice scent. I think I have found at least one thing that won't be in my 3-1-1 bag!

Also--Toothpaste tabs! I did try the Lush ones in "Dirty" flavor--close to mint. But I also found that other people make toothpaste tabs as well. I found some on Amazon and added them to my Travel Wish List.

Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    In case you don't want to make your own, I just found and highly recommend the Moon Valley Organics Lotion Bar. They're local to me so I just pick them up at their Pike Place Market stand, but Whole Foods carries them as well. The lavender is AMAZING but strong, the vanilla and coconut flavors are much less intense.

As for laundry powder, Amazon's creepily-accurate recommendation system popped up with this "Wash and Stain bar" from a company called The Laundress. I found them cheaper at Soap.com and tossed them in an order that had already reached their free shipping minimum. I haven't received them yet so I don't know if they'll live up to the hype, but Internet reviews were pretty good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3