Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Island paracord for zipper pulls?

Hello, everyone

Looking at pictures of @Bijouxandbeads black dyneema/Island A30 from July with her gorgeous matching Island paracord pulls got me thinking of trying to again find Island paracord for my A30. I thought that maybe those who have ordered this color combo in either the A45 or A30 might be interested in adding paracord pulls as well. At the time that @Bijouxandbeads posted her source (lighthound.com) the blue paracord was available, but within weeks the company had gone out of business. I will admit I saw the paracord online and could have purchased it but procrastinated, and now, sadly, am on the hunt again. Has anyone found another source of paracord that matches Island?

@Bijouxandbeads excellent pictures are found here, post #480. http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...-sayin-32.html

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has found any!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ordered any, but Paracord Planet via Amazon has some that looks to be the right shade. (I don't know why it's called Carolina Blue, that does not look like the Tar Heel shade. --> Am not from NC, but I did spend a couple of years there!) They also have kits, some of which include various shades of blue., or have a mix that covers several TB colors (e.g. the "Summer" or "Simmering" bundles). Maybe call or send them a message, see if they can steer you to the right colorway?
    Last edited by haraya; 12-04-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is expensive, but I went with this.

They have an orange that goes well with Zest too, as well as yellow (solar) and red (iberian). I like the reflective thread in it. I tried to take some pictures of it. They are not exact but close enough for me that I really like it. I like these because I don't have to take out any threads like I had to with paracord (not an issue if you plan to do them like in the post you provided, but if you want to use the standard zipper plastic pull the paracord is too think, these are almost exactly the same thickness as the cords you can order on the Tom Bihn website)

here are some pictures of mine, I can't for the life of me take a non blurry picture, hope they help though.
    Last edited by jdowney83; 12-04-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I haven't ordered any, but Paracord Planet via Amazon has some that looks to be the right shade. (I don't know why it's called Carolina Blue, that does not look like the Tar Heel shade. --> Am not from NC, but I did spend a couple of years there!) They also have kits which include various shades of blue. Maybe call or send them a message, see if they can steer you to the right colorway?
    Thanks, @haraya. I will check it out. It is a puzzle about the name, but as I seem to remember the paracord that @Bijouxandbead used was called teal. It matched perfectly and I would not think that Island is anywhere near a teal shade. So much for names of colors.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney83 View Post
    It is expensive, but I went with this.

They have an orange that goes well with Zest too, as well as yellow (solar) and red (iberian). I like the reflective thread in it. I tried to take some pictures of it. They are not exact but close enough for me that I really like it. I like these because I don't have to take out any threads like I had to with paracord (not an issue if you plan to do them like in the post you provided, but if you want to use the standard zipper plastic pull the paracord is too think, these are almost exactly the same thickness as the cords you can order on the Tom Bihn website)

here are some pictures of mine, I can't for the life of me take a non blurry picture, hope they help though.
    That's cool! It's almost like dyneema paracord. And all those matching colors are great too. Thanks for the pics.

Actually, I am not sure how I will tie off the ends, whether with the monkey fist or as @Bijouxandbeads did. Maybe I will see something else that strikes my fancy.

And I really have to shout out a big thanks to @Moriond who posted @Bijouxandbeads pics in another thread that got me thinking about the paracord pulls. Her memory is amazing. If I only had a small sliver of her fabulous ability to recall all things TB. What would we do without her?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this one? It's available in 50ft. Since multiple people are interested maybe we could share Smilie

I just purchased A45 in island and bought red zipper pulls but a close match to island would be better...would allow me to imagine the inside while looking at the outside!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenalvsTB View Post
    How about this one? It's available in 50ft. Since multiple people are interested maybe we could share Smilie

I just purchased A45 in island and bought red zipper pulls but a close match to island would be better...would allow me to imagine the inside while looking at the outside!
    Thank you for the suggestion. It looks close in color. Your red pulls sound great, though. I love how red really pops against black dyneema.