Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in Pilot (& possibly DLBC?)

I don't have a maker's bag and not ready to go for one yet. However I love Freudian slips and wondered if anyone can confirm if the MB slip fits in a ballistic pilot?

The sizes suggest so but wanted to check.

Also any chance of it fitting a DLBC at a stretch?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I don't have a maker's bag and not ready to go for one yet. However I love Freudian slips and wondered if anyone can confirm if the MB slip fits in a ballistic pilot?

The sizes suggest so but wanted to check.

Also any chance of it fitting a DLBC at a stretch?

Thanks.
    @Persseffect,

You can totally use the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in the Pilot. It's probably also a good alternative for people who are carrying the 400d Dyneema Pilots with smaller laptops or iPads in caches, because you could place your 11" MacBook Air or iPad, or 12" MacBook into the stretchy mesh pocket, and not worry about having the weight of the (short) cache pull down on the Gatekeeper clips to cause the back wall of the bag to sag if the Pilot is otherwise empty. And you could transfer the laptop (up to 13" MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro) in the mesh pocket of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip from the Aeronaut 30 to the Pilot, or other bags, if you use it as I posted in the Cache in Aeronaut 30? thread (secured to an O-ring with a key strap)

The Maker's Bag Freudian Slip can go into the DLBC (and Imago, and Parental Unit), as well as the Swift. The only issue is that it basically takes up most of the DLBC compartment, so you don't have as much leeway for stuffing items into it. This is sort of true (but much less so) with the Imago, and with the Parental Unit main compartment, since people have already stated that you have to angle a 13" MacBook cache into the Parental Unit because the zippers aren't wide enough to insert the laptop straight down in horizontal orientation.

Two things that are characteristic of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in contrast to the other FSs: 1) It uses only the stretchy mesh that is smooth and doesn't snag (this is what was used for the pocket of the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip, and that is also used for the front pocket of the Brain Cells, and is important for knitters who don't want yarn to catch on the mesh); 2) it's backing is soft and flexible -- not stiff like the other FSs. That's one of the reasons why I thought it would work to cushion the 13" MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro in the Aeronaut 30. I wouldn't try to put any of the older (thicker) 13" MacBook models into the stretchy pocket, though -- the MBA that I showed is probably the largest size I would feel comfortable with, and it just about matches the profile of the MB FS. (13" Retina MacBook Pro is smaller).

The Maker's Bag cross section is about the same as the Daylight Briefcase -- it's the depth of the sides that is really different. That and the arrangement as one big compartment so you don't have to "flat pack" in use.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I think the links to the pictures that @gochicken took of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip are better than anything I could show, but here's my quick shot of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip inside my (Dyneema) Pilot:
    Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in Pilot (& possibly DLBC?)-img_2935-jpg
    I've simply pulled out the cache for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro (still attached to the Gatekeeper's clips) and tossed it outside the back of the Pilot. You can see how much lower the top of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip sits in the main compartment of the Pilot, and what I meant about the caches of smaller laptops and iPads not dragging down on the Gatekeeper clips if you set your laptop or iPad into the bottom mesh pocket of the Maker's Bag FS. Note, that this is not an issue for the 13" MacBooks which can sit perfectly fine in the Pilot at full height.
    Last edited by moriond; 01-04-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - indeed, the MB slip fits in a ballistic Pilot and DLBC.

Thanks to @tebnewyork for check with TB Customer Service for the DLBC and @gochicken's (everytime I see your posts, I have a good laugh at your ID - love it!) amazing picture comparisons:

TB Customer Service Confirm Ok in DLBC

Maker FS in various TB Bags

Hope this answers your question (to the detriment of your wallet )

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks as always to all. It has now dented my wallet but I'm sure to good effect. As I'm in the UK I 'bulk buy' so have also gone for 2x SCB and 2x MCB FS's to accompany the Maker's bag FS. I'm certain these can all be used in a variety of different places across my different bags. Cheers

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't regret it! I use the MBFS daily and it's sat in my PU, MB, S19, and S25 so far. The soft backing makes it a wonderfully convenient organiser that lets you switch between a lot of quite different TB bags quickly. And as you would expect, it holds A4 papers, though getting them can be a bit tricky due to the soft and bendy quality of the MBFS.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip out of stock? I wanted to take a look at the product page but could not find it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Is the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip out of stock? I wanted to take a look at the product page but could not find it.
    We're almost sold out of the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip (more are on the way) but we do have a few left so I aded them back to the website (which means the photos are appearing once again as well!) See here.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I just wanted to have a look.
    Hope to get one next time I order something.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone help me with differences between pilot and copilot?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by debjperry View Post
    Can anyone help me with differences between pilot and copilot?
    @debjperry, Take a look at the video review that @itsablur made in the A Pilot Video Review (and comparison to the Co-Pilot) thread. The Pilot was a bag that was released in January 2014, following the original release of the (smaller) Co-Pilot as a personal item bag some years earlier. One basic difference in size is that the Co-Pilot was never originally designed to carry laptops, although it's possible to fit in an iPad, smaller laptops such as the 11" MacBook Air or 12" MacBook, etc. and many people wanted a slightly larger bag of similar design, but that was capable of carrying a laptop. Several people also wanted the bag to fit inside the center compartment of a larger luggage bag, such as the Tri-Star.

The video review will show you a comparison of what fits into each bag.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I added a link to the January 2014 Blog article on Introducing the Pilot
    Last edited by moriond; 01-10-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I placed an order last night including a co pilot. I want to delete that from order. How can I do that?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip, and it is a really great invention. It makes my Daylight Briefcase -- which I plan on using in a few weeks, as it is my "travel to West Africa" standby briefcase if I can resist trading up to the Pilot -- much less floppy.

It also works well in the Pilot. For my commuting, when I'm not carrying a large item such as a laptop, the Pilot tends to sag a little, and the Freudian Slip helps it keep its shape. It's actually more comfortable for me to carry, even though it is a little heavier.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where to post this, but I love how the MBFS fits into so many horizontally-oriented TB bags both past and present. Here it is in my new-to-me Plum/Olive Imago. Perfect.

Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in Pilot (& possibly DLBC?)-img_4966-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Not sure where to post this, but I love how the MBFS fits into so many horizontally-oriented TB bags both past and present. Here it is in my new-to-me Plum/Olive Imago. Perfect.
    What a good suggestion! I often have a cache in my EDC Imago, but using a FS would provide extra organization when I don't need to carry a laptop. The Imago is my favorite...glad you found a Cordura one in such a nice color way! I'm perpetually on the look out for it in Indigo or Plum.