Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best small organizer to fit passport and papers that is NOT the passport pouch?

Hello! I am looking for one of the organizers to act as a travel wallet. I'll likely keep it in my bag or sports coat, or just leave it in my hotel, and it will supplement my regular pocket wallet. I will need it to fit a passport, along with a small notepad, papers, currency, and a pen. I was looking at the small double organizer, but not sure that will fit the passport. The clear organizer wallet is too small according to the dimensions. Any advice?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeS View Post
    Hello! I am looking for one of the organizers to act as a travel wallet. I'll likely keep it in my bag or sports coat, or just leave it in my hotel, and it will supplement my regular pocket wallet. I will need it to fit a passport, along with a small notepad, papers, currency, and a pen. I was looking at the small double organizer, but not sure that will fit the passport. The clear organizer wallet is too small according to the dimensions. Any advice?
    Welcome to the forums @LeeS. The small double organizer pouch will fit a passport, but I think you'll have to use the back (fabric) pocket to accommodate its width (Standard Passport size is 125 mm x 88 mm/ 4.921" x 3.465"), since that width is almost exactly the height (seam to seam, with no allowance for thickness) of the front pouch, if you manage to slip the edge under the zipper. (I'm at work, and I can't check this directly, since I don't have my passport handy.) See the What size Cordura organizer pouch to hold a US Passport ? thread for confirmation that a small pouch (External Dimensions - 7" x 5" / 180 x 125 mm) will work.

The Clear organizer wallet is a mini sized pouch (External Dimensions - 5.7" x 3.9" / 145 x 100 mm).

Take a look at @taminca's post titled "The many uses of the DOP, Part 1:". I'll excerpt her photo for use 5. International Travel Pouch:

I was going to recommend the Mini size Moleskine Volant series notebook -- which fits even into a Clear Organizer Wallet, along with a small pen. I can only find this 2009 picture by @maverick:

(Sorry, having to run the image search based on memory -- I thought he had another (better) picture where he identified the pen that he used and the place in Virginia that stocked them. Again, this is just based on memory, and I thought it was a Zebra mini pen.)

If you want to have a look at the relative size of some notepads in comparison with a U.S. Passport and the Passport Pouch, take a look at the picture in my post answering @jujigatame in his Cocoa Organizer, Coyote Q Kit , and NW Sky Passport Pouch thread. I'll excerpt some pictures here:

That's the larger size Small Moleskine Volant notebook (i.e., larger than their smallest size, which fits in the Mini pouches and Clear Organizer Wallet), along with the Field Journal notebook. Those notebooks are about the width of a Passport. @jujigatme later revised his post to show a Rite in the Rain notebook in place of that Rhodia pad.

If you don't need fountain-pen quality paper, the Moleskines work fine, and are easy to get.

HTH, and you'll probably get responses from other forum members.

moriond

ETA: Any one of the product pages for organizer pouches will show you the relative sizes of Mini, Small, and Medium organizer pouches. I'll add this image from the product page for the Cordura organizer pouches:

This will give you an idea of the relative size of Mini pouch, Small pouch, and Mediuml pouch. @taminca also has a picture of the Medium size Double Organzier Pouch holding a passport, later in her thread. The Medium pouches are twice the size of the Small pouches. They work well for documents, but maybe not if you're planning to carry the pouch inside your sports coat.
    Last edited by moriond; 01-17-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the same Double Organizer Pouch like in the picture moriond quoted first. I have the two passports of my youngest in the back (traveling so far only in Europe I myself only need an ID card which is way smaller) and in the front I carry the forain currency. Works great for me.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the small DOP. It can get a bit bulky if you're not careful as it's easy to add bits and bobs along the way. I use mine like Ilkyway - passport in the large pocket, currency in the front (you'll have to fold most for it to fit).

ETA: I usually have a small crossbody bag with me, but I've slipped it into inside coat pockets no problem. Not sure if it's low-profile enough for a sports jacket. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that.
    Last edited by binje; 01-18-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! It looks like the small DOP it is.

@binje good point about fitting it in the sports coat pocket. This warrants its own post: I'm on the hunt for a great travel sports coat with lots of pockets but doesn't look dorky or cheap.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @LeeS,

Here are a few more pictures that show the relative size of the small Double Organizer Pouch, Clear Organizer Wallet (a mini size pouch), passport, and notebooks:

Best small organizer to fit passport and papers that is NOT the passport pouch?-img_2944-jpg
    This shows my old passport at the left, a small double organizer pouch in Sapphire Cordura in the center, and an Olive Cordura Clear Organizer Wallet at the right. The passport is the same size as the renewed passport in my first post. You can see that it is too large to fit into the Clear Organizer Wallet at the right, which is holding an extra-small size (6.5 x 10.5 cm/ 2.5" x 4") Moleskine Volant notebook and pen.

Best small organizer to fit passport and papers that is NOT the passport pouch?-img_2945-jpg
    Here's a view of the small double organizer pouch beside a stack of the small or pocket size (9 x 14 cm/3.5" x 5.5") Moleskine Volant notebook, Passport, and extra-small size (6.5 x 10.5 cm/ 2.5" x 4") Moleskine Volant notebook and pen. The larger Volant notebook is the same size as the Field Notes Notebook in my earlier post, and is a fairly standard size. It's slightly hard to get these size notebooks into the pocket past the zipper head if the small DOP gets full -- not obvious from the picture, but you have to push down on the notebook to press it against the zipper head to insert it, which is why I recommended using a slightly smaller size notebook, like the extra-small Volant, if you have one.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-19-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from a trip to Asia with my wife and toddler and can attest the medium clear organizer pouch was very useful. Stored 3 passports in there (in the TB RFID blocking passport pouch), plus airline tickets, and printouts of travel itineary/etc and had it clipped inside the side pocket of my A45. This setup worked great as I carried my A45 on my shoulder and had the pocket right there to pull out the clear organizer pouch for flight check-in, security, and then gate check-in. The passport holder was overkill, but I had it and kept it in the pouch as well.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond for the input!

@beachtwin it looks like you are using it the same way I intend to. Thanks!