Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit as a gift - are there any recommended accessories ?

I'm thinking of getting a Parental Unit for my sister (with one daughter 2-years old; and the other girl coming up to a year old).

I can choose a colour (I think...). The TB website seems to suggest that the Q-AM shoulder strap is better than the AS for this bag:

It comes with the Standard Shoulder Strap, but you can upgrade to either the Absolute Strap or the Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) Strap. The Q-AM strap is particularly cool if two parents are of different heights, as it can be adjusted easily to be shorter or longer; also, the Q-AM allows you to quickly tighten up the strap and swing the P.U. around so that it rides up high on your back, a position for which it's well suited.
    However, the bag comes with ten (!!!) O-rings.

I want the bag to be as functional as possible when I give it to my sister but I don't know what accessories to get to achieve this. I realise that a lot will of course depend on what she uses it for but are there any accessories - for this particular bag and/or the primary use for which it's intended - which people consider are must haves or recommended ? Not being a mother nor having had any children of my own, I don't know where to start.

Thank you in advance for any insights!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry I have no advice to offer, just wanted to say that you are a fantastic brother getting her such a wonderful gift!
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest a side effect to hold any parental things (wallet, sunglasses, etc). It slips into the side pocket of the parental unit perfectly. Maybe a couple small pouches for things like coins or pills for the parent too.

I don't use any other accessories with my Parental Unit. The baby stuff I carry (diapers, wipes, sippy cup, snack cup, change of clothes) tends to be large enough than they fill the built-in organizational pockets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit as a gift - are there any recommended accessories ?

Organiser cube plus key-strap, maybe? pouches sized Small and below are a possibility too as they will fit almost every compartment-- maybe a small double organiser pouch would be nice? Or some size of Q-kit? If you're feeling generous you could also try a stuff sack or two (does not make use of the O-rings, though).

(Disclaimer: Also not a mother)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend watching the video on vimeo about the Parental Unit. It shows a mother packing up the bag with a variety of baby necessities. She does clip in some smallish organizer pouch too, but that was the only additional TB product that I noticed. It appears to have plenty of built-in organization. I'm a mom, but my kids are grown. I would've loved to have something streamlined like the PU.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions which are really helpful. It looks and sounds like the Parental Unit is a great bag with lots of built-in organisation already and a few accessories (e.g. Side Effect, Organiser Pouch/Cube, Q-kit etc) would be the icing on the cake!

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erika9star View Post
    I don't use any other accessories with my Parental Unit. The baby stuff I carry (diapers, wipes, sippy cup, snack cup, change of clothes) tends to be large enough than they fill the built-in organizational pockets.
    We just received ours recently (with some excellent box art!), and this has been the case for us as well. However, my wife did say:

Starting to see why TOM BIHN people are obsessed with key straps. Things are snug in there but not in a bad way. I can see why you would want a strap on things you need to get to quickly.

That being said, I can see myself trying to squeeze in a 3DOC where my wife keeps her wallet, and a mini OP + key strap in an outside pocket could have quite a few uses. A mini Q-kit might be nice too, if the shape works for you.

Edit: Also, we chose the Q-AM shoulder strap.
    Last edited by brucep; 02-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with BruceP's wife on key straps.

My gift-giving advice would be a gift certificate. Having a baby has been a non-stop series of trial and error. So I think you'd be great to give a bag and a certificate so the user can buy stuff after a few weeks or months of actual use.

But key straps are THE BEST. I live out of a DLBP. I love key straps because I can now lose anything at any time. The straps keep stuff connected even during chaotic events. They're the best -- no matter what type of organizer works best for you.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for all the replies! I just ordered:

Parental Unit (Steel / Ultraviolet) + Q-AM Shoulder Strap
    Side Effect (Black Dyneema / Ultraviolet) + Key Strap (Ultraviolet; 16-inch)
    x2 - Dyneema Organiser Pouch (Small) + Key Strap (Ultraviolet; 8-inch)

for delivery direct to my sister next Friday (I think). I decided to choose a few accessories based on your helpful suggestions (rather than go for a gift certificate) to save on paying for postage twice (we're here in the UK).

Thanks again to everyone!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky sister! Let us know how she likes it!

Forum Member
    Mateh Binyamin, Israel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are an awesome brother!!!

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PU arrived today! My sister has only had time so far to open the box but she likes it! She went from this last week when I told her I'd ordered one:

Looks like it'll be very handy with all the compartments etc plus Philip will be happy to use it too, with it being non-girly! It's good that I can use it after we stop using nappies because it doesn't look like a changing bag...so I'll be using it well into my 60s!!!
    To this today when she'd received it:

Looks very practical and hard wearing and doesn't look like a nappy bag too. I will have to check out the links / clips to see how all the extra bits attach / work. Don't think I'll be letting Philip carry the bag unsupervised, just on the off chance that he leaves it behind :-D
    I've sent her a brief explanation about the O-rings to be found inside the Parental Unit and Side Effect; the accessories she has (and more to be found on the TB website!); and links to the TB videos on how to use the Q-AM Shoulder Strap and how to attach the Side Effect cord pulls.

Thanks again everyone! Smilie

Parental Unit as a gift - are there any recommended accessories ?-img_1098-jpg

Parental Unit as a gift - are there any recommended accessories ?-img_1100-jpg
    Last edited by John; 03-04-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor Philip. Now you have to buy him his own bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did good! I just posted my review of the PU after having it for a year, and would echo/highlight a lot of things here, namely:

- the excellent internal organization means I use far fewer accessories with this bag than I normally would for my other TB bags (what you got was perfect Parental Unit as a gift - are there any recommended accessories ?)

- the Q-AM strap is great and essential for sharing the bag with two differently-sized parents. I found it a little stiff and slippery at first, but it softened nicely with use by my husband for a while

- I have two little kids like your sister, 2.5 years and almost 2 months old, and having three symmetrical compartments is PERFECT for organizing my stuff + baby stuff + toddler stuff.

Nice work, and I agree, you're an awesome brother!