Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?

Does anybody have experience carrying a laptop in the rear compartment of the Aeronaut 30 or 45, where the backpack straps are stored? Can you share some photos?

I'd like to carry a single bag when I travel, and the Aeronaut seems to cover all of the bases, except when it comes to laptop carry. My work laptop is 15" x 11". I realize the protection is minimal, so I'll just have to be careful. I don't need to access the laptop during travel, except when going through security.

I'm really trying to avoid having to carry a second bag simply to transport the laptop. This seems to be the best compromise, but I'm open to other suggestions or options.

Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @crh. I don't want to discourage you, but it sounds as though you are carrying a 17" laptop (diagonal screen size, based on the dimensions you give), and I personally would never carry such a large laptop in the backpack strap pockets of the Aeronaut, because there simply isn't enough protection. I'm OK with using that area to stow tablets, such as iPads in caches, and I might even push it for a 12" MacBook or 11" MacBook Air, but I personally wouldn't even stow my 13" MacBook Air there.

You might take a look at the Laptop bag within Aeronaut thread that @FFT started in July 2014. He found a solution for a 15" laptop carried with his Aeronaut. And maybe there will be others chiming in with suggestions.

I did recently suggest to @haraya that she could try securing her 13" Mac laptop inside the pocket of a Freudian Slip for Maker's Bag/Swift, and tether it through the webbing loop of the Freudian Slip to an O-Ring. Here's the post with picture . For reference information, that 13" MacBook Air is 12.8" x 8.94" x 0.68" / 32.5 x 22.7 x 1.7 cm in size, and it pretty much fills up the open Aeronaut 30 compartment. Your laptop is 2" larger in each dimension, and I think it might fit more comfortably in an Aeronaut 45.

Hope this helps get you started, and that others will chime in with suggestions.

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info @moriond. My laptop is 15.6".

I was under the impression that the laptop would not fit into the top of the main center compartment of an A45. I understand the dimensions are 13.4" x 13.4". I suppose there's a bit of leeway there, since the sides are soft. When the bottom zipper dividers are unzipped, is additional width made available at the top of the bag too?

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm attaching some photos of my Aeronaut 45 and 13" MacBook Pro ó Height: 0.71 inch (1.8 cm), Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm), Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm) according to Apple.

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-img_0101-jpg

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-img_0102-jpg

It fits with plenty of room to spare. As you can see the mouth is plenty wide to slide the laptop in and out (~11.25 inches). When I drop the laptop fully inside it's almost lost in that huge chasm.

I'm not using a case in the photos so you can be sure of the dimensions since cases are flexible. However, the thickness between the compartment and your back is about the same as a Cache so the laptop is not exactly unprotected. That said, the edges of the compartment (the outer edges, where it's sewn to the rest of the bag) are not padded. So when you set down your bag one edge of the laptop will hit the floor with nothing between it but the standard ballistic nylon material of the bag.

If I had a 17" laptop I'd get a nicely padded case and try it out assuming the 11.25" mouth of the bag is sufficient.
    Attached Images Attached Images Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-img_0101-jpg  Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-img_0102-jpg 
    Last edited by Ellsass; 03-02-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pictures @Ellsass. I know that other people stow their laptops in this pocket, and I regularly use it for my smaller tablets (iPads in caches). I just don't feel terribly comfortable doing this with my larger MacBook, even though I know that it fits. I'll usually use a Tri-Star, instead, but this is entirely in the range of personal preference. The streamlined and Aluminum design of the Mac laptops make it more reasonable to slip the laptop into the backstrap pocket. But I would never, for example, advise someone to carry a ThinkPad W520 (graphics power model in the 15.6"+ class, with extended life battery, and loaded for data processing) in his Aeronaut 45 back pocket. YMMV.

@crh, if you want to carry your laptop inside the Aeronaut, the sides can be unzipped (or, in the older models, unsnapped) to let you expand the available space of the main compartment into the end pocket regions. The boundary is flexible and movable to allow this reconfiguration.

moriond

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 15.6" laptop (Lenovo T510) - 14.7 x 10.5 in with extended battery - similar size to the Lenovo W520.

It will NOT fit in the backpack compartments of the A45 much less the A30 - mainly due to the fact that the compartment narrows in the middle to 9-9.5" making it impossible or just too tight to fit any laptop except for a 13" laptop. Also, I agree with @moriond - I would always want my laptop in a protective case even if it could fit in the backpack compartment.

I agree with @moriond's comment that if you unzip one side of the A45 expansion feature, you can fit your size (and mine) laptop (in a brain cell too). However, you need to do some stretching of the middle opening to get it in as it is not big enough (rounded edges, etc). It is workable IMHO but it depends on your standards. It will take a bit longer to bring out and put back in for the TSA Checkpoint.

If I get some time, I will try to take some pictures like @Ellsass's excellent ones!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the photos, @Ellsass. They give me a good sense of scale. Stowing the laptop in the rear compartment is only a last ditch effort at hoping I can get the A45 to work for me as a one-bag solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    the compartment narrows in the middle to 9-9.5" ...
    @tpnl, this is very helpful information. I didn't realize the compartment narrows.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    if you unzip one side of the A45 expansion feature, you can fit your size... you need to do some stretching of the middle opening to get it in
    It was always my hope that I could simply fit the laptop at the top of the main compartment, but the dimensions seemed to prohibit that plan. Being able to expand into the side compartments is definitely a workable solution for me. Any photos you may be able to share of your laptop in this configuration would be extremely helpful.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures of my laptop (14.7 x 10.5 in with extended battery) in an A45. I included a picture with a Sleeve (15.5" x 11") as well. It is ok to slip in the middle compartment - easier if the middle compartment is unzipped/unsnapped to allow expansion into the side compartment. Also note (not in the pictures), the main compartment bottom of both Aeronaut sizes is longer than the top (ie better laptop fit if putting it under your clothes in the main compartment).

A45 Back Pocket fit (or not in this case) showing the narrowing in the middle:

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-a45_t510_back-jpg

A45 with laptop in the main compartment showing the extra length needed (hence the expansion to make it easier to fit):

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-a45_t510_partinside-jpg

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-a45_t510_inside-jpg

If using the A45, I would use a sleeve for addition protection such as the 15.5 x 11 in sleeve I use (actually sized for a 17" MBP). You could also use a TB cache:

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-a45_t510_inside_sleeve-jpg

Also, here is the same laptop in an A30 (needed to "wiggle" the laptop in). The sleeve would not fit easily (or at least to my comfort level based on my "cramming" skills) due to main compartment opening being too small as opposed to not enough length:

Laptop in backpack strap compartment of Aeronaut?-a30_t510_ontop-jpg

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

Edit: a thin 14" laptop (e.g. my Dell E7440 work laptop and I stress the word "thin") will fit in the backpack pocket of both the A30 and A45 with the caveats that @moriond mentioned on protection. It just rubs past the narrower middle section of the pocket - ~9" usable width in the A30 (9.5" max seam to seam) and ~9.5" usable width (10" max seam to seam) in the A45. Note that a thicker laptop, even if only 9" wide, would not fit.
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-13-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Well, that clinches it. I've gone ahead and ordered the A45. It looks like I should have no problem fitting the laptop in the main compartment. That's exactly what I needed, even if it takes an extra second or two to take it out and put in in during the security check. Thanks everyone! I'll report back one it arrives and I do a test pack.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought, if the laptop occupies too much room in the main compartment: shift some clothing (in a flattish cube or sleeve) to the backpack straps compartment. I usually put my MacBook 13" in the main compartment in a neoprene sleeve, and use the backpack strap compartment for my raincoat.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Registered User The Squire of Gothos's Avatar
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Asus GL551 15 inch Laptop that is approx. 15x10x1.25 inches and it fits perfectly into the backpack strap compartment of my brand new A45. By perfectly, I mean it goes in with no resistance, but also with no extra space (side to side) to slide around. There is a little extra space between the zip and the laptop.

The back pack straps can even be re-packed and zipped in with no muss or fuss. And with the padding on the 'bottom' (back?) of the A45, the compartment seems as well protected as any of the specialty laptop compartments I've seen in any of the many other backpacks I've owned.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a youtube video and cover how I use the backpack compartment for that. I use a vertical cache and that works well.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squire of Gothos View Post
    I have an Asus GL551 15 inch Laptop that is approx. 15x10x1.25 inches and it fits perfectly into the backpack strap compartment of my brand new A45.
    The is very interesting, Squire (hopefully you are not as tricky as your ST namesake Wink). I am wondering if the newest version of the A45 have a wider backpack pocket (especially the middle section). Also, is your A45 a Dyneema one - ie perhaps the greater flexibility of Dyneema may allow more stretch?

With my original style A45 (pictured earlier), I cannot even fit my laptop with its flush battery (14.7x9.6x1.4) in the backpack compartment. The narrowest part of the compartment (middle part) measures only 10" seam to seam, leaving realistically only 9.5" of usable width given the thickness of a laptop.

I would agree if the laptop was "snug" in the backpack compartment, the padding will help protect it well (having a laptop loose in a padded area is not much help as it will just "bang around" in the area adding more kinetic force to any impact - I know - engineering geek!)

Squire - if you or someone who has a latest design A45 could measure the smallest width of the backpack pocket (usually the middle section), it would be good to know if a larger laptop can fit in.

Also, @TravelManager - very nice video. Thanks for producing it. You are tempting me to get a new Black Dyneema / Iberian one to match my older Black Ballistic / Iberian one!

Thanks
    Cheers!

Registered User The Squire of Gothos's Avatar
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tpnl,

I just measured the laptop width again and it is 10" (maybe 10.125") and I put it into the backpack strap pocket again and it fits exact...not stretching the material, but zero clearance width-wise.

I just snagged the A45 on 2-27-16; Product Code TB 0906 Aeronaut 45 Black/Iberian. From there, what is on the web-site is all I know. Hope that helps. Smilie

One caveat, as I said orignially, my laptop thickness is about 1.25" max, (nothing special in this community of airbooks), but if one's laptop had a higher profile that would make a more snug fit.
    Last edited by The Squire of Gothos; 03-23-2016 at 09:01 PM.