Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse FS for Smart Alec?

While I do not generally love the Freudian Slips as I find they can take up too much room, I can definitely see how the Smart Alec would benefit from one as otherwise it's a black hole when being used as an EDC. Naturally, as soon as I want one, they are out of stock. Both sizes of the Synapse FS's are in stock, however, so I'm wondering if one of those would work in the SA (and if yes, which?). Or should I just summon up what little patience I have and wait? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @brendabethman, As an alternative way to organize sour Smart Alec, have you considered @Ilkyway's How to carry two backpacks - Smart Alec and Daylight Backpack thread? The quick summary is that she inserts a Daylight Backpack inside, and then uses both the tiered pockets and smaller Freudian Slips for Cafe Bags (some of which you already own) in the tiered pockets to do the organization.

The vertical Freudian Slip for Brain Bag/Smart Alec isn't as tall as the one for the Synapse 25, but that gives you more flexability in where you position it in the bag, since the height of the Smart Alec changes with the sloping lid:

(That's @Ilkyway's picture of her Smart Alec "looking pensive"). The FS for S25 can go into the Smart Alec (since it's the size/shape of a Daylight Backpack, but would have to rest close to the back wall (where the Smart Alec is tallest). Depending on what you're carrying on the reverse side, that can be OK. However, the rectangular shape of the regular vertical FS for SA and Brain Bag lets you use access pocket contents a bit more efficiently (things don't get cut off by the curvature of an end pocket if you want to insert something).

You may get other suggestions. Some people like to use the FS for Smart Alec/Brain Bag inside the Packing Cube Backpack for Tri-Star/Western Flyer (can handle a deeper packing load than the DLBP), and also put this combination into the Smart Alec to take out for separate light-weight carrying. Those combinations also work when you want to shift carrying your other bags (like Pilot or Co-Pilot) inside light-weight backpacks (different options for squareness and depth of these bags and how they fit with your other travel bags). But this goes outside the scope of your original question.

HTH

moriond

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @moriond, as always for the thorough answer! Looks like I have some thinking to do.......

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got the larger size Freudian Slip for the Smart Alec (purchased sometime around 2006, I think, when it, and possibly the then newly introduced horizontal Freudian Slip were the only versions around). If you were already using a Freudian Slip for the Synapse 25, I'd say that you could probably pop that in and get some additional organization. But you already have some of the smaller Freudian Slips, and they're so generally useful with other bag combinations. (I noted that the size for Medium Cafe Bag, which is probably overall the most useful size, is currently out of stock).

The big advantage of the Freudian Slip comes when you use it to transfer items between bags. That's why the best solution tends to depend on what other bags you have/use with the Freudian Slip. You can also take a look at @Persseffect's thread, Freudian Slips - underrated genius?. The ones that I really like are the FS for Maker's Bag/Swift (not applicable in the current case), and the Freudian Slips for Cafe Bags, which are interoperable. This is mainly because I use my smaller bags more. If I carried larger messenger bags more often (like the ID Bag, etc.), which I no longer have to do now, I'd be making more use of the other Freudian Slips. It also depends on how much you want to carry your "portable office" in these Freudian Slips. Again, if it's not just for organization, but forming a part of what you regularly bring along to work with, you'll get more mileage out of the larger horizontal and vertical Freudian Slips.

HTH

moriond

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM'd you @brendabethman

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @brendabethman,

The Tom Bihn folks clearly like rising to the challenge (and probably read the forums so they can put in a "timely response"):

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    03/02/2016 New BAgs and Color Ready to Order

Side Effect, Black/Iberian
    Side Effect, Navy/Wasabi

Vertical Freudian Slips, Brain Bag/Smart Alec Freudian Slip

Pilot, Steel/Wasabi

SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brendabethman, looks like BB/SA Freudian slips are back in stock today.

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that WAS fast!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk