Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makers Pilot comparison

Ok, so I'm a bit of a late adopter. I have a Pilot that I really like but the zippers and "tiny" compartments are getting a brother down. With a 2 new 400d Halcyon colors coming out next month I'm hoping the MB gets made in one (or both HINT HINT HINT) and think this might be my best choice for a mostly lateral move.

My request is for side by side photos of the 2 bags. I searched but came up empty (it could be because I'm a lunk head).

Any help would be peachy keen. Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    Ok, so I'm a bit of a late adopter. I have a Pilot that I really like but the zippers and "tiny" compartments are getting a brother down. With a 2 new 400d Halcyon colors coming out next month I'm hoping the MB gets made in one (or both HINT HINT HINT) and think this might be my best choice for a mostly lateral move.

My request is for side by side photos of the 2 bags. I searched but came up empty (it could be because I'm a lunk head).

Any help would be peachy keen. Thanks.
    Hi @Muni_Jedi,

@tpnl posted some photo comparisons (of a lot of bags, including the Pilot and Maker's Bag) all in a row, from different angles. Remember that the Maker's Bag cross-section is similar to that of the Daylight briefcase -- in other words, it's not as tall, and not much larger than a 14" laptop (at most). Where you get some flexibility is that because it's mainly one large compartment, the flap can take slightly taller contents and still close, and the sides can also poke out a bit and still close. It's more constraining if you expect to carry large water bottles and laptops at the same time, or if you expect to use large diameter water bottles or laptops close to the max of what a Pilot can handle, as well as not providing as much protection in the way it's designed. So it very much depends on what you expect to carry in this bag, whether it will provide a good alternative for you.

Hope this helps,

moriond

ETA: I forgot to add that @gochicken did an early comparison shot of the Maker's Bag with different bags, including the Pilot, in this post. Like the Cafe bags, the Maker's Bag gets wider towards the bottom, so the comparison showing the bottom of the Maker's Bag with the bottom of the Pilot makes the Maker's Bag look larger than its actual packing volume. Also, remember the Pilot has a zippered back pocket you can access, and the Maker's Bag does not, apart from the Pilot's padded handle that makes it more comfortable to pick up that way.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-23-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Muni_Jedi, here are side by side photos of my Original Halcyon Maker's Bag and Black Ballistic Pilot. The Maker's Bag is a bit bigger and can hold more - especially the Dynemma version I have. IMHO, the different feel of both bags is analogous to the Smart Alec vs Synapse 25. The Smart Alec is similar to the Maker's Bag in that there is a large main cavity to put things in. The Synapse 25 is similar to the Pilot in that they are both very compartmentalized and a bit smaller than the other bag. Edit - the Pilot is dimensionally (width and height) and volume wise slightly bigger than the Maker's Bag according to TB specification but it feels reverse in real life for me.

My briefcase best buddies shot:
    Makers Pilot comparison-mb_pilot-buddies-jpg

Front
    Makers Pilot comparison-mb_pilot-front-jpg

Quarter View (Pilot looks a bit bigger but really does not feel that way IMHO)
    Makers Pilot comparison-mb_pilot-quarter-jpg

Side
    Makers Pilot comparison-mb_pilot-side-jpg

Back
    Makers Pilot comparison-mb_pilot-back-jpg

Here is what I generally put in both bags:

Edit: There is still some room for more things even with what is shown below

Edit: The Pilot is full with all the things below in the bag

Here are 2 pictures of me wearing them cross-body:

I like both bags for different reasons - the Maker's Bag is a cool messenger style I like while the Pilot is no-nonsense, super functional and sleek.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @Muni_Jedi, here are side by side photos of my Original Halcyon Maker's Bag and Black Ballistic Pilot. The Maker's Bag is a bit bigger and can hold more - especially the Dynemma version I have.

You know, it's odd to me, but I find that I have trouble fitting my laptop comfortably in my Maker's Bag, but it fits perfectly in my Pilot. Both bags that I own are Halcyon (Black/UV for the MB, Nordic/Solar for the Pilot) so perhaps that is the difference. Other than that one distinction, though, I agree. The Maker's Bag has greater capacity.

I use my Maker's Bag as more of an EDC type carry. It typically houses some knitting and some spinning along with the requisite tools and with my purse essentials (which aren't much). I really love utilizing the Freudian Slip which was crafted for it. It houses everything in such a nice, streamlined manner!

My Pilot serves as my computer laptop bag. I only take it out once a week when I need my laptop away from home. I always enjoy seeing my favorite color, though, Nordic!

If I could only own one bag between these two, though, I'd definitely choose the Maker's Bag. I love how it offers a ton of organization, yet it still has a wide open cavity to place odd-shaped objects. It provides the best of both worlds in a beautifully crafted bag!
    Last edited by Mausermama; 03-25-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention a few other comparison points about the Maker's Bag and Pilot that may important:

1) The Pilot is classified as a laptop bag because it has the Cache with Rails functionality for TSA Checkpoint use. The Maker's Bag does not have the Cache with Rails functionality as the it would interfere with the inside back zippered pocket.

2) From TB's volume measurements, the Pilot is actually bigger than the Maker's Bag (800 cu in vs 765 cu in). It is also taller and wider that the Maker's Bag by almost 2 inches in width and 1.5 inches in height (more due to the handle I believe). I would believe that this is why @Mausermama (and myself) find putting a laptop a little easier in the Pilot. But, IMHO, because of the non-zippered opening of the Maker's Bag and the fact it is almost 2 inches thicker, it is easier to carry thicker items. This translates, in my brain, into more open space and the feeling the Maker's Bag is bigger (like the way an open concept house feels bigger than one of the same size but with walls).

3) The Pilot would be ultimately better in the rain due to its fully zippered pocket. However, I have never had an issue with the Maker's Bag in the rain. IMHO, as long as you do not carry items longer than 13-14 inches, the side walls can still be under the flap cover. Most messenger bags have this issue to some degree.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-24-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone this is all really great information. There's no way I'm letting my Pilot go but I believe that the MB will be a more comfortable daily bag for me.

@tpnl the Smart Alec/Synapse comparison was an analogy that really hit home as I own both and have a very different relationship (is that weird word choice?)with each.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    @tpnl the Smart Alec/Synapse comparison was an analogy that really hit home as I own both and have a very different relationship (is that weird word choice?)with each.
    @Muni_Jedi, That Smart Alec/Synapse analogy is a good one to use. It may also extend to whether or how much you like adding the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip option, which is an accessory that I happen to like.

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond Thanks the suggestion but I have never come around to liking the FS. I much prefer to sub-load pouches.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently bought a makers bag to go with my pilot. Both in navy ballistic. The pilot is my favourite work bag but just too formal for other uses. The makers bag is more my preference for a flexible 'social' bag (bit just that bit better size than my medium cafe bag).

The two complement each other very well for work and social respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting this thread -- I've got a Makers Bag, which I love, but it's a bit big for me for EDC. Seeing the comparisons between it and the Pilot, oddly enough, makes me happy with my decision to purchase a Co-Pilot (if I don't get it for my birthday) as an organized EDC between my Makers Bag and my Small Cafe Bag. While that was probably not your intent, I still appreciate your enabling me. Wink

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always happy to be an enabler.