Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Pilot questions

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot questions

hello,

i'm thinking about getting the Pilot. i travel about 30+ weeks out of the year for work. i recently cut the clutter and was able to "one bag" everything for my business trips.

so here are my concerns / questions -

work has me a Lenovo L440 laptop (dimensions - 13.54" x 9.40" x 1.04"), i'm hoping this does not take up TOO much space with the Pilot? (15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1"). i am also going to be storing my ipad, noise cancelling headset (sennheiser momentum 2) and pens into the Pilot, hopefully this will not make it too bulky?

with all that, will the Pilot fit into the A45? i have read the forum posts where there was a simulation of a Pilot being fitted into the A45, but it also looked like it took up the entire middle compartment of the A45.

my concern - i have 2 pullovers and 1 waterproof pack-able jacket that i use in the main compartment (no packing cubes because i tend to need either one depending on the ever changing temperature), will the Pilot actually fit into the compartment with my 2 pullovers and 1 jacket?

with the A45 i use that basically to transport my laptop with me after i settle down at the hotel. but with just the laptop and Side Kick, it is big and sometimes a hassle. so i wanted something that can do me the favor of transporting such equipment with less hassle and weight.

note - i'm using the one of the side compartments of the A45 for my laundry sack (all my clothes are inside here other than the pullovers) and the other for my toiletries and using a Side Kick for my chargers and cables.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience with a similarly sized Dell E7440 (13.2" x 9.1" x 0.8") in the Thule sleeve (~14" x 10" x 2" if in the sleeve), it just fits in the Pilot main compartment width wise (14" wide is a comfortable max width for a laptop to fit in a Pilot IMHO).

It does take up most of the space in the main compartment but there is room for file folders and your iPad. Depending on the dimensions of your headphones, it may or may not easily fit in the pilot side pockets or main compartment. Are you transporting your headphones in the protective case? If you can post the dimensions when folded for transport, it will help determine fit better in the Pilot and if it will be bulky.

I posted a few pictures in the post below showing my Pilot loaded up (no headphones like yours) if it helps:

Makers Pilot Comparison

In fact, I would suggest that the Maker's Bag may be better suited to handle your headphones if the width is more than 2.5".

The Pilot will fit in the A45 with all that. The post you read about the simulation of a Pilot fit (that was me) also has TB Customer Service (Beau) confirming the Pilot fit in an A45. It does take up the whole length and height of the main compartment BUT only about half the 9" depth of the A45. IMHO, you should be fine with having 2 pullovers and a jacket underneath as long as they can be compressed to around 4-4.5 inches thick. The side compartments will also not be impacted but the items in those side compartments will have no wiggle room to expand into the main compartment.

Impressive that you can get all your clothes in the side compartment.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-28-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    From my experience with a similarly sized Dell E7440 (13.2" x 9.1" x 0.8") in the Thule sleeve (~14" x 10" x 2" if in the sleeve), it just fits in the Pilot main compartment width wise (14" wide is a comfortable max width for a laptop to fit in a Pilot IMHO).

It does take up most of the space in the main compartment but there is room for file folders and your iPad. Depending on the dimensions of your headphones, it may or may not easily fit in the pilot side pockets or main compartment. Are you transporting your headphones in the protective case? If you can post the dimensions when folded for transport, it will help determine fit better in the Pilot and if it will be bulky.

I posted a few pictures in the post below showing my Pilot loaded up (no headphones like yours) if it helps:

Makers Pilot Comparison

In fact, I would suggest that the Maker's Bag may be better suited to handle your headphones if the width is more than 2.5".

The Pilot will fit in the A45 with all that. The post you read about the simulation of a Pilot fit (that was me) also has TB Customer Service (Beau) confirming the Pilot fit in an A45. It does take up the whole length and height of the main compartment BUT only about half the 9" depth of the A45. IMHO, you should be fine with having 2 pullovers and a jacket underneath as long as they can be compressed to around 4.6 inches thick. The side compartments will also not be impacted but the items in those side compartments will have no wiggle room to expand into the main compartment.

Impressive that you can get all your clothes in the side compartment.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Thanks for the response.

And with that another Tom Bihn order placed.

I was considering the Makers bag. But in the end I believe the Pilot would be better suited for traveling. I love the simplicity of the Makers bag and might consider it somewhere down the line.

I love and hate my headphones. They have great sound, Bluetooth (hate wires), and cancel out most of the noise around me. But they are bulky. I'm considering going for the Bose QC20.

Again thanks for the response and I'm looking forward to my Pilot.
    Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic - I hope you will enjoy your Pilot!

One thing I forgot to specifically mention (which I think you know) - there is no native laptop padding in the Pilot. You need to purchase a cache or use some other sleeve to protect your laptop.

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

MA USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will enjoy the Pilot no doubt. An I think you made a sound decision versus the MB for traveling. The Pilot excels and keeping things organized and secure.

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got confirmed from TB that my order has shipped. I'll post some pics when I get the new gear, possible this weekend. And so we can have more references for others looking tondo the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot questions

I've got my order. Traveled back home to see a box from Tom Bihn waiting for me.

Here are some pictures.

This is with the Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45.

It fits fine and there are room at the top or bottom to fit more things.

This is the laundry sack from TB. I have 4 underwear, 4 shirts, 4 pairs of socks, 1 pair of pants, and a beanie in here. As you can see, it's fully loaded.

The other side of the A45. I just got the Spiff Kit Deluxe and it fits fine on the side.

Fits the laptop just fine. Not a tight fit either.

Also able to fit the work iPad mini here as well.

My Side Kick fits into the front compartments. My SK is for all things cables.

The other compartment on the front is for my pens and passport.

Overall, this was a success. Thanks for all the answers and comments.

Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    St. Louis & Beijing (sort of 60/40 of the year)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pilot (and Co-Pilot) is definitely my favorite TB bag(s). It's just about the perfect design for a daily business bag.
    One of my favorite features is the center bottle pouch. I use this not only for water bottles but for my compact umbrella (which the pocket can accommodate both at once if you have a smaller bottle). Something that is a definite must-have for daily commuting with Public transit.

I'd say the only thing that bothers me about the bag (in the 2 years of use) is that it's symmetrical. Sometimes i confuse myself over the two front pockets. Colored pull straps has helped but not 100%. Otherwise, it's my perfect business bag.
    I also have to say i think the main compartment is a tad shallow for anything other than flat items to fit. So no sack lunches in there, unless you want them smooshed! I wish it were just a little deeper for that reason but otherwise i love it! If i didn't need space for a 13" laptop, i definitely go back to a co-pilot. I actually think it's a much more comfortable size to carry than the Pilot, but i have it for the rare cases when i need to take my MBP.

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to take a pic of the pilot inside the A45 but it fits!!

This was taken before the boarding of my flight today.

Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi