Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)

not sure of which bag to purchase but please help...

back in the beginning of 2014, I purchased the s19, loved it and sadly lost it. I WILL purchase a s19 in the future but no need for it now because...

- I am taking coding classes and will be using a 15" Macbook and my other laptops are around the same size. [Size V1 cache]
    - I want to carry one insulated kanteen/thermal etc for water &/or tea.
    - WILL purchase more bags in the future but in need of one bag immediately
    - I am not traveling outside of local areas for essentially the remainder of the year [full focus studying/physical training]
    - I do wish to carry extra set of clothes or light sweater [NYC weather is too bipolar Mad]
    - I am never using a messenger bag outside of a Med.Cafe Bag & Daylight Briefcase [because it'll be for casual rooftop bars & cafe book reading moments [never going to go out to drink, etc with main backpacks & laptops ever again Q_Q...]

so it's essentially the s25 vs Smart Alec vs Brain Bag

-absolutely have my heart set on getting the s19 in black lined dyneema for a later purchase.
    -I do have a PCBP in Fjord just recently purchased and with the help of fellow forum users know that it will fit in the Brain Bag, but will it fit in a Synapse 25? (Will auto assume, it will not fit in the Smart Alec based on listed dimensions but i maybe wrong here). Honestly bought it for future traveling and love the colorway, stored and not in use.
    -5'6 height slim build, 125lbs but targeting 145 in the next couple of months.
    -Initially set on the Brain Bag but I was very comfortable with the s19 so I am concerned it's just overkill for my daily usage? [19L vs 36L]
    -Love Codura & Dyneema[it's forever dyneema to me... lolol] and hence why i am straying away from the smart alec for now.. unless smart alec in codura is possible? (always wondered about that...) or ballistic nylon has serious upside
    -Prefer the new black dyneema over original [I have the shop bag in original dyneema so I do have a sense on how it'll look on other bags]
    -Does the BB become noticeably thinner when the buckles are cinched? (really concerning if i were to pack lighter on certain days with no laptop, it'll be significantly bulky. [pictures would be awesome if someone can provide...)
    -am I seriously underestimating the Smart Alec?
    -considered the s25 in the upcoming dyneema but felt it's redundant if i am set on purchasing the s19 black dyn.
    -will be purchasing all the accessories catered to the bags, side effect/snake charmer/cache/more organizer pouches etc. [love the organizer pouches i have now and all the key straps]

i'll edit if i can think of more points to make. thanks for your input!
    Currently Own:
    Shadow Guide [Black], Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag [Grey/Steel]

Shared:
    A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

For the DLBP fit in a Synapse 25 (S25) or Smart Alec (SA), it does works for both backpacks.

@moriond posted a picture of the DLBP in the S25: Daylight size question

@ilkyway posted pictures of the DLBP in the SA as additional organization: How to carry two backpacks - Smart Alec and Daylight Backpack

As for the Brain Bag being overkill, I would generally say yes if using just as a light load EDC. However, it does cinch down if you use only one of the two main compartment. However, if going to use for dual purposes - EDC and travel, it is great. For me, it was my first TB backpack and it served a dual purpose for carry-on travel and EDC. It is a bit more finicky because of the cinch straps but no more than other backpacks I have seen with exterior straps.

Here is a picture of my 2004 BB cinched down as my EDC and fully loaded for a trip (Holy diet Batman - did my BB join Weight Watchers! Smilie)

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-brainbag_packed640-jpg

One comment on the SA - it does come in all Original Halycon - ie no Ballistic Nylon or Cordura. Also, for the Ballistic Nylon SA, the sides are Cordura so the SA is not all ballistic. The Brain Bag also has a Ballistic Bottom while everything else is Cordura. I personally love Ballistic Nylon and the only real downside of Cordura is that it collects pet hair the most. It also comes down to preferences - Cordura is more natural looking fibre while Ballistic Nylon is shiny and urban looking.

Here is a picture of my SA as my EDC (previous version without top loops) and fully loaded (latest version - I liked this backpack so much, I bought another one!)

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-sa-side640-jpg

I think the SA is great for holding bulky things and the bungee cord outside makes holding a jacket even easier. However, the SA does collapse a lot if not full (so how you pack is important) and can be big.

Just for completeness, here is my S25 as EDC and fully loaded (big work day!). This should be similar to your experiences with the S19. I find that I can usually fit my EDC in the front pockets and do not even need the main compartment except to hold my laptop in the elastic section.

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-s25_side_on_me640-jpg

A few other thoughts:
    Picking between the S25, SA and BB can have a lot to do with packing style. For the S25 - lots of organization but cannot carry very bulky items. The SA is a throw anything in it and in any way and very bulky items fit - but it can get big. The Brain Bag is tough and durable and can carry the most (though not the most bulky items) but is not considered "beautiful" like the S25.

Given a person's frame, one of the backpacks may be a better fit than the other:
    I always reference this post by @dorayme for sizing ideas for a 5'2" person:

Who says short people cannot carry big bags?

I also posted some thoughts on the fit of each backpack to back length and the person @SLB - who is 5'6" - mentioned that the SA was not comfortable on her frame - YMMV as it depends on back length and perhaps back curvature:

S25 fit vs Smart Alec

Finally, I like this video to see another example of fit - forward to about 3 min 30 sec to see a Brain Bag on someone:

Video Review of Brain Bag and Camera I-O

I personally find the SA the most comfortable to wear (will not let me slouch). The Brain Bag is next and the S25 is last.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

Edit - added in pictures of the BB and SA Full to complement the EDC views and added some S25 EDC and Full views
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-15-2016 at 08:41 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you so much! the main question remaining is if the packing cube backpack can fit the synapse 25. i figured it would be easy to skim through and mistake the pcbp with daylight backpack [dlbp]. other than that the photos really helped. in all honesty, i think i may just get the synapse 25 to really see the difference from the s19. there were moments where i wished my s19 was bigger and it may just work out

the packing cube backpack is for the a45 not the tristar
    Currently Own:
    Shadow Guide [Black], Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag [Grey/Steel]

Shared:
    A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha - I misread your first post and mistook PCBP for DLBP ... Smilie

As per the stated dimensions of the PCBP-Aeronaut version and the S25 and SA, it would not fit well in the S25 and SA (the PCBP-TriStar version would fit better as it is narrower).

But, it did a real world test. For the PCBP-Aeronaut version, IMHO, it does not fit in the S25 or SA if put in backpack mode without severely stretching the zippers (and it looks really funny). In Square Packing Cube mode, it does fit but stretchx the sides of the backpacks and you cannot get too much more in. For my testing, I made sure the PCBP could not be squished to provide a true sense of the max volume fit. That being said, YMMV depending on how soft the items are that you put in the cube and so it may still work for you - just not if you fill it up full at max volume.

The Three Amigos:

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-pcbp-a_s25_sa-jpg

SA fit of PCBP-A - Full backpack mode and Square Packing Cube mode:

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-sa_pcbp-a_full-jpgHelp with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-sa_pcbp-a_square-jpg

S25 fit of PCBP-A - Full backpack mode and Square Packing Cube mode:

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-s25_pcbp-a_full-jpgHelp with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-s25_pcbp-a_square-jpg

Finally, the PCBP-A just fits in the BB in Full backpack mode and is fine in Square Packing Cube mode (no pic of this):

Help with 1st bag? (not exactly my first bag)-bb_pcbp-a_full-jpg

Again, because the PCBP can be squished if not full, it can fit in all the backpacks - just not in the SA and S25 if max full (ie cannot squeeze down in size).

Side note for the PCBP-Aeronaut version and carrying Camera Gear - For those wanting both a shoulder bag and backpack for carrying their camera gear - the TB Camera I/O fits perfectly in the PCBP-Aeronaut version. In Backpack mode, the top section fits the Camera I/O and the bottom section can hold other misc. gear and your shoulder strap. This is great when transporting your gear. When there, just take the Camera I/O and fold up the PCBP-Aeronaut into the small bottom section (ie inside out) and you can strap it to the bottom of the Camera I/O using some key straps.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-16-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!