Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WF best bag for me?

Considering WF as first TB purchase but wanted some expert advice as international shipping precludes returns.

I am looking for a bag for the following 2 use cases:

1. I travel for 1-2 nights, 20-25 weeks/year, by train within Europe. I need my 13" macbook air, power cords, a change of clothes (generally just a second top and underthings), a stack of articles to read or essays to mark, and maybe some snacks. This bag stays with me the whole time, fully packed.

2. I travel to conduct field research 3-5 times/year, on trips ranging from 2-6 weeks, in locations with minimal infrastructure and no way to get anything I might have forgotten (no internet access, bucket showers, intermittent electricity, etc.) In this scenario the WF would be a carry-on with an ipad, small digital recorder, a couple changes of clothes, food, 3-4 phones, cables, first aid kit, potentially a dslr with a 18-55mm lens and no additional kit (5.5 inch deep with case). Sleeping bag and additional (fairly lightweight) gear would be checked. I imagine being able to attach the absolute strap to my old llbean duffel when going to and from the airport and carrying the WF as a backpack. I would then check the duffel without the strap and use it while in transit. The WF would then be my EDC whilst in the field, replacing the clothing with a couple A4 notebooks. Alternatively, I could use an old eagle creek pack as my checked luggage, and shoulder carry the WF on public trans to the airport. I'm a 5'2 woman and need to make sure I can easily transport what ever I bring across rough ground, but am a bit concerned about checking a hiking pack as its not lockable.

Additional thoughts: I'm not keen on a backpack for (1) as I prefer to shoulder carry for conferences, lecturing, etc. Would also be nice to use the same bag for weekend breaks around Europe with a couple changes of clothes, a book, and no technology.

Does the WF seem like the right choice here? Any thing I haven't considered? Any and all advice appreciated!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the type of use you say, I think it's great. I do also have an A30 which could take the WF place but just can't let it go as the WF looks so perfect as a business bag (and is a backpack, and is a great short trip bag, and, and, and).

For what you describe, I think it's a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Utah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first TB bag was an original Halcyon WF. I also think it would work well for you.

I have different camera gear than you, but just pulled out my WF and could easily fit an old Canon 20D into the larger pocket. Elsewhere in the forums you will find lots of discussion of camera inserts. I use an inexpensive ($13) Ape Case Cubeze QB33 that measures 8.5 W x 6.5 H x 3.5 D. Loaded with camera gear it fit into one half of the front zippered compartment. Different sizes are available if this doesn't work for you.

I would also recommend getting the Absolute Shoulder Strap. I actually prefer using it versus the backpack straps, unless I have a very long carry.

Colors and fabric are all personal preferences, but I love Halcyon because it is lighter and allows you to stuff a bag in a pinch (though I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis because you won't be happy with the weight).

As others often do, I suggest you order a bag, leave the tags on and test pack it with the various scenarios you have laid out. If it doesn't work, you can return the bag.

La Mesa (San Diego), California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Scenarion 1 - No Problem!

Scenario 2 - um, I don't know...if it were just a couple changes of clothes, I'm sure it would work. But if you are going to such remote places, will you also be packing underclothing, socks, 2nd pair of shoes, any soap, shampoo, toothepaste, toothbrush, hair brush, deodorant, wash cloth, travel towel, sweater or jacket? Or will you be checking in all these types of items? The food, iPad, camera, phones, cables will all take up space. However, TB is great with customer returns do you can always give it a trial run from home!!!
    🐝➰

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the help!

@Melissa I do check a duffel bag as well for sleeping bag, a jumper, and a bit of additional toiletries/gear. I think its a medium sized one from llbean, so still small enough that I can carry it when full. So yes- in scenario 2 its a carry-on plus the gear I carry each day whilst conducting interviews, etc.

@Juanito Thanks for the info re: camera cases. I think the case I've got is about the same size as the one you mention, so should fit. My only concern on the Halcyon is durability- I do need something that can stand up to rough transportation. Should I be nervous about putting a Halcyon bag in the back of a old jeep on a dirt road?

Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to carry on my shoulder too. I use a Pilot for a 1 night away and my Western Flyer for longer than that. Mine is ballistic nylon and I know from the Pilot that dyneema/halcyon has more give. But it feels like I can allways get one more thing to fit into the Western Flyer.

It is really good on public transport. I took the airport coach in Gothenburg a couple of weeks ago. The bus was completly full but the Western Flyer fit right at my feet turned in backpack mode. The driver had to turn away people with bigger suitcases. I got on as the last person.

I have realised how much I like packing cubes. I dont have Western Flyer ones but use the Pilots packing cubes. It works.

I think the Western Flyer will be a good bag for you. For me its really comfortable to carry. I'm 173 cm. (5'8 I think.)
    Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."-C.S. Lewis