Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help...I need a backpack

    Hi folks--I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.

    A few weeks ago, I wrote about test packing my A45 and some issues I'm having with my back. I think I've got bursitis in my left shoulder, and it is making it very difficult for me to use my Co-Pilot as my EDC and to take it as a daybag on my upcoming trip to London.

    My DH recommended a small backpack. The two contenders are the DLBP and the PCBP. I don't really like backpacks (I always feel a bit like a bull in a china shop while wearing one), and I've read a lot of advice stating that a backpack is not an ideal daypack while traveling as it's very easy for people to get into and rob you, etc.

    That said, I don't think I have much of a choice in the matter unless I make a miraculous recovery.

    What I'm carrying every day: Panasonic Lumix camera in padded bag, COW, MOP, small COP (I think; can't recall exactly); sunglasses; eyeglasses in hard case; tissues; pen & small softcover Moleskine; small amount of cosmetics in pouch; stick-style phone charger; keys; aspirin in small bottle; Qliplet.

    I'm also considering a Freudian slip if I go ahead and buy one of these backpacks.

    I wish the Black Halycon were available in these designs!

    I'm very frustrated with the whole situation. I know I have lousy posture but I didn't expect to start having problems at a critical time (I'm leaving in about four weeks).

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Share
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,248
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCBP sounds too big for what you're carrying, tbh. I'd go with a DLBP and not worry too much about running into things—its design keeps it fairly close to the body. When you are in high-traffic areas, swivel it around to your front (on your good shoulder) and hang onto it. I think that given your shoulder, you probably don't want to add any unnecessary weight to the bag, so you can nix the FS if you make good use of the DLBP's inner shingled pockets.

  3. #3
    Forum Member RDR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Hi folks--I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.

    A few weeks ago, I wrote about test packing my A45 and some issues I'm having with my back. I think I've got bursitis in my left shoulder, and it is making it very difficult for me to use my Co-Pilot as my EDC and to take it as a daybag on my upcoming trip to London.

    My DH recommended a small backpack. The two contenders are the DLBP and the PCBP. I don't really like backpacks (I always feel a bit like a bull in a china shop while wearing one), and I've read a lot of advice stating that a backpack is not an ideal daypack while traveling as it's very easy for people to get into and rob you, etc.

    That said, I don't think I have much of a choice in the matter unless I make a miraculous recovery.

    What I'm carrying every day: Panasonic Lumix camera in padded bag, COW, MOP, small COP (I think; can't recall exactly); sunglasses; eyeglasses in hard case; tissues; pen & small softcover Moleskine; small amount of cosmetics in pouch; stick-style phone charger; keys; aspirin in small bottle; Qliplet.

    I'm also considering a Freudian slip if I go ahead and buy one of these backpacks.

    I wish the Black Halycon were available in these designs!

    I'm very frustrated with the whole situation. I know I have lousy posture but I didn't expect to start having problems at a critical time (I'm leaving in about four weeks).

    Your thoughts?
    The DLBP should hold everything you're carrying and I find, with its design, a more 'back hugging' bag than the PCBP. Utilizing the waist strap on the DLBP would ease the weight on your shoulders too. Is it just the black halycon you're waiting to be back in stock or is the original halcyon alright with you?

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Share
    NC
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've dealt with back problems on and off that caused problems with heavy handbags, etc. Even at my worst, I could handle a cross-body Side Effect with just the essentials - phone, wallet, keys. The DLBP is also great because it's so light and thin - and the shingle design helps to balance the load. In your shoes, I'd go with a combination of those. If the cross body SE is a problem, you can always strap it into the DLBP.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Forum Member haraya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,518
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the PCBP (Tri-Star version) and DLBP, and I was surprised to find that the PCBP straps are more comfortable than those on the DLBP. I haven't figured out why, so far. The PCBP-TS is a bit longer than the DLBP. So maybe the extra length gives me some extra support, I don't know. Smilie (The distance between the straps at the top of each bag is the same.)

    The PCBP unzips fully on three sides (the DLBP zip only goes halfway down on the sides). For EDC, the shorter DLBP zip might actually be preferable for me - less chance of things falling out accidentally. But as a packing cube, the wider PCBP access of course works better.

    I'll throw in another contender - what about the Synapse 19? Comfort-wise, the #1 thing that the Synapse has, which isn't on either of the other two, is a sternum strap. I find for carrying for extended periods it really makes a difference for me if I have the option of using a sternum strap to change how the load sits on my shoulders and back. The DLBP does have a waist strap, so that helps, but still I miss the sternum strap enough that I am considering buying a third-party strap to add on to the pack. The Synapse is also shorter than the DLBP or PCBP, so if you prefer a bag that sits high and doesn't graze your waistband, that might help. - I just noticed that the Aeronaut version of the PCBP is about the same height (length) as the Daylight.

    The S19 has more organization than either of the other two, and you might even be able to order it in Black Halcyon before your trip!

    For any of the choices, sounds like you are definitely wanting it in the Halcyon for weight savings. Of course if you want it right now, the PCBP is the only one currently available in Halcyon, and has the most color choices in that material. And of course it's the cheapest of the three packs, if you're not sure yet whether using a backpack will be a long-term solution for you.

    ETA: Re: safety - when in crowds I take my pack off one shoulder and swing it in front of me, as Badger suggested above. But I also concur with SKIMT that a few low-tech deterrents serve to steer would-be thieves towards easier targets (i.e. not you). I hope you find a bag that works for you!!
    Last edited by haraya; 04-27-2016 at 06:56 AM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The security of a backpack scares us a little bit too with our Synapses. However the zippers are pretty tight. As an added safety measure, we use these (one on each side) and run all the zipper pulls through them.

    I think anyone who is determined to get into a backpack will find a way to do so, but I think the vast majority of thieves will find an easier target when they see it won't be as easy as discreetly unzipping a pocket and grabbing contents. There are enough people who don't take any precautions let alone even pay attention to what is going on around them that any bit of deterrent should be effective. For walking through airports, downtown, stores and other places these add-ons should be adequate.

    Adding more visible security might also might make you more of a target for more aggressive thieves if they think you have something of high value.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RDR3, I have a Small Shop Bag in the original Dyneema and I like it a lot, so no, not opposed to that fabric. Just excited about the new one!

    @catherder, I don't actually have an SE. Funnily enough, last year I ordered one and a DLBP and returned one and sold the other!

    @Badger, thanks re: The FS advice. I definitely don't want to add any weight to my EDC. Right now I'm at about 5 lbs., which I think is entirely too much. I need to thin it down!

    And yes, I'm trying to stay on the lower side of spending since I'm not sure how much I'll be using a backpack. Who knows, though--I might end up being a convert!
    Last edited by ladyinblack1964; 04-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased these slide locking s-biner for our bags when we are in airports, stores, and other crowded places. We run them through the zipper pulls.

    This is really a low key defensive setup. It doesn't attract attention like we have something of value. It should make a thief choose someone else (pretty much most people) who have no deterrent on their bag AND aren't paying attention to their surroundings. If they really want to get into any bag they are going to do it but I think there are enough easier targets out there they won't even waste their time trying to maneuver our zippers.

  9. #9
    Forum Member jess's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    New York
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to throw this convo into another direction but I was wondering if you've tried a back pack with your shoulder the way it is? The reason I ask is because I have bursitis in both of my shoulders and of course they tend to act up at the most inconvenient times (but usually not both at once that goodness). When I have a bad flair up though, a backpack isn't always the best for me (Daylight or Synapse, I've tried both). What actually works well is a cross body bag with the strap on my good shoulder. That puts none of the weight on my bad side and allows me to give my shoulder a rest like my Dr recommends. I don't know how this would work with your back but if you think a cross body may work, I'd recommend a daylight briefcase or a medium cafe bag (especially with the extra padding for the strap).
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

    Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Share
    VA
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could you get away with a waist pack instead? i seem to remember some posts about connecting two SEs together, and then to waist straps, which could potentially give you the capacity you need with no straps at all! anyone remember those posts??? they were in connection (i think) to a S25 thread about adding an SE onto one side of the waist strap of that back to have a side accessible pouch while leaving the bag on your back...

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't stand crossbody bags. I always feel like I'm being strangled/pulled in one direction. I've tried them before and I've tried the CP in that manner, as well as another bag I have that's very lightweight. Just doesn't work for me.

    I'm really a shoulder bag fan.

    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I don't mean to throw this convo into another direction but I was wondering if you've tried a back pack with your shoulder the way it is? The reason I ask is because I have bursitis in both of my shoulders and of course they tend to act up at the most inconvenient times (but usually not both at once that goodness). When I have a bad flair up though, a backpack isn't always the best for me (Daylight or Synapse, I've tried both). What actually works well is a cross body bag with the strap on my good shoulder. That puts none of the weight on my bad side and allows me to give my shoulder a rest like my Dr recommends. I don't know how this would work with your back but if you think a cross body may work, I'd recommend a daylight briefcase or a medium cafe bag (especially with the extra padding for the strap).

  12. #12
    Forum Member Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest a fanny pack too. Fanny packs 4ever! Here's my favorite: Get a packing cube shoulder bag, and a waist strap from a backpack. The waist strap clips to the triangle attachment thingies on the PCSB.
    Thusly:
    Help...I need a backpack-img_3585-jpg

    It's super light. I wear it as a waist pack for bike trips and nights out.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the DLBP here.

    I have both and am actually very close to selling or re-homing my PCBP because I never really use it. I'm not a packing cube person and I much prefer the material and internal organization that is provided by the DLBP. (Also, more color options).

    It is quite minimalist, so I never have the "bull in a china shop" feeling you describe. I intend on using it on my overseas trip next week (!!!!!) as a carry-on as my airline only allows for a complimentary 5kg bag on the flights.
    A45: Burnt Orange/Steel; LCB: Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema; DLBP: Coyote; PCBP: Iberian, Sitka; 3DCOC: Iberian, Linen; SSK: Iberian; TSS: Solar & Island (4), Wasabi & Zest (3), Ultraviolet & Northwest Sky (2), Iberian (1); Travel Tray: Steel; Fjord, Sitka, Monarch; Q-kit; Various Dyneema organizer pouches,

    Halcneema Addiction is a dangerous thing. Wink #buyallthecolors

    Still refining my system Cool

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Share
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I would suggest a fanny pack too. Fanny packs 4ever! Here's my favorite: Get a packing cube shoulder bag, and a waist strap from a backpack. The waist strap clips to the triangle attachment thingies on the PCSB.

    It's super light. I wear it as a waist pack for bike trips and nights out.
    Why have I never thought of this?!? I'm very new to the PCSB but knowing that I can use it as a waist pack (i.e., fanny pack, let's call it like it is!) makes me like it much, much more! I recently acquired one through a trade (thanks, @brucep!), and now I'm excited to use it as a fanny pack! Thanks for that hack, @Rocks!

    Maybe this idea could help you, @ladyinblack1964?

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCSB seems kind of large to me to be used as a fanny/waist pack.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •