Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the NWS interior pic, @Darcy! That was exactly what I wanted to see. You take such good care of us!

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will be in Horseshoe Bay (near Marble Falls) over the weekend of the 4th...it is about 80 miles or so away. I can bring my dyneema smart Alec for you to look at if you want to make the drive!
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    I'm in San Antonio, not Houston, and I actually already have someone in town coming to see my Ballistic version in person!
    Urrgh, sorry, I was on tapatalk and that doesn't show location on the main screen. I think Houston came to mind because my college roomie was from there.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do doesntmakememadonna and I met today (we work at the same university-- and we meet in our offices and squeal over Tb bags. Only my secretary knows this.) and I adored her Smart Alec. I'd been thinking of getting one, and like it was love at first sight. I have a synapse 25 but the SA is simpler and more cavernous. I'm the one that promptly put it on my head (there's pictorial evidence in another thread.) I ooh and awed and gazed in amazement. We discussed ways of packing the bag. We talked about the add-ons. TB obsession is real folks!

Doesntmakememadonna decided she wants a different color, and since I adore her bag I'm going to buy it off her (after I move to my new place next week. Nothing more can come into my apartment.)

So TB forum members rest assured. The Smart Alec has found a home.

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    So TB forum members rest assured. The Smart Alec has found a home.
    But I am NOT giving up on the Smart Alec. Thank you to those of you (all over Texas!) who have offered to let me see your Dyneema/Halcyon ones. No one can ever say this isn't a community!

You guys shoulda seen @atarango1's face when she laid eyes on the Smart Alec. Gold. Pure gold. She was in love. Who was I to stand between them?

I am strongly considering the Black Ballistic/NWS even though I am no big NWS lover. I will wait until after I pay a couple bills and then take the plunge (again).

Truth is, I did enjoy the Aubergine/Wasabi. But I'm hoping that the Smart Alec in Black/NWS will make me JUMP!
    Last edited by doesntmakememadonna; 06-24-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread that just won't go away!

Another question: I have noticed that the Smart Alec's Upper Modular Pocket (UMP) and Lower Modular Pocket (LMP), neither of which I have ever seen in person but rather in photos on the Forums, are usually---if not ALWAYS---lined in Steel Dyneema/Halcyon.

Curiously, I have never seen a pic of an open one on the website. You can only see the insides by searching the Forums.

Anyway, my question is: will the new Black Halcyon 400 and Nordic Halcyon 400 UMP which are scheduled to debut 2-12 weeks from now be lined in Steel or in NW Sky? I know there is Steel fabric around still, but should we expect the UMPs to use the soon-to-be-gone Steel or the new-kid-on-the-block NWS?

Either would be very pretty.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Smart Alec fan club, @atarango1! Stick Out Tongue

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black and Nordic Halcyon Smart Alecs are now available! What's a girl to do??

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    Black and Nordic Halcyon Smart Alecs are now available! What's a girl to do??
    NORDIC!!!! Of course :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old style SA in original Nordic/steel and there are finally coordinating UMPs available (solid Black ballistic, original white grid Black Halcyon, gray grid Black and Nordic Halcyon...so many choices!).

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on how useful they've found their UMP to be? I don't use my SA as an EDC, but more for beach/picnic/travel by car excursions.

After posing Side Effects and Shop bags on top of the SA, I'm favoring original white grid Black Halcyon (to keep the grid color the same) or gray grid Nordic Halcyon (to keep background color the same, though to my eye there is a difference between old and new Nordic). Please feel free to chime in with your preferred color selection as I like to hear other view points and receive validation!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    I have an old style SA in original Nordic/steel and there are finally coordinating UMPs available (solid Black ballistic, original white grid Black Halcyon, gray grid Black and Nordic Halcyon...so many choices!).

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on how useful they've found their UMP to be? I don't use my SA as an EDC, but more for beach/picnic/travel by car excursions.

After posing Side Effects and Shop bags on top of the SA, I'm favoring original white grid Black Halcyon (to keep the grid color the same) or gray grid Nordic Halcyon (to keep background color the same, though to my eye there is a difference between old and new Nordic). Please feel free to chime in with your preferred color selection as I like to hear other view points and receive validation!
    @threeteez, Take a look at the pictures in the thread @autolycos started called Nordic Smart Alec + modular pockets. He opted for Steel upper and lower modular pockets for his Original Halcyon Nordic Smart Alec. I think that's consistent with your Original White Grid Black Halcyon Upper Modular Pocket being the best color match (even over the new Nordic Grey Grid). The UMP is useful for occasions when you need to get something out of the Smart Alec, but don't want to open the whole bag and dig into the main compartment. It's also useful for occasions when you stow the Smart Alec under an Airplane or Train seat, because the Upper Modular Pocket remains accessible.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, moriond! You're always such a spot on source for information!
    That link was indeed helpful-I quite like the contrasting fabrics in the photos and since a steel dyneema UMP is no longer made (that would have been super to coordinate), I think the white grid Black Halcyon UMP will look very nice with my old Nordic SA.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    Love the UMP -- it's nice to have an accessible pocket that holds smaller items and accessories (I don't really use my SA side pockets for small items). I also love the flexibility of adding it or removing it as needed.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered an UMP-- mainly for my snacks for plane travel and things like earbuds, etc. I also plunged and got a SCB.
    I am soooo excited! I'm picking up my SA tomorrow from Madonna. My move is done, and my apartment is about 2/3 unpacked and I have stowed all my TB bags in one place so now it can come home.
    I'll get to use it for a trip later this month-- I'll be taking it as my personal item on the plane.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, good for you! I think you'll really enjoy the Smart Alec. I love mine.
    My recommendation is that, for optimal use and to increase the storage capacity, you wear it on your back rather than head.
    I'm only mentioning this because I want to share what I've learned from personal experience.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast