Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Black Halcyon/Iberian Smart Alec arrived this evening. Wait a sec.....

OK. Yeah. I just cut the tags off because this baby is MINE.

I am too exhausted to do a full report on the unboxing and first impressions, but I couldn't help but share my enthusiasm with all of you. THIS IS THE WAY I WANTED TO FEEL THIS WHOLE TIME. I love this bag already.

Reports and impressions and questions and glamour shots with the Smart Alec's impossibly shiny hair blowing in the wind of a hidden fan to follow. I plan to use it as an EDC and also to bring it as a personal item on the family trio to Alaska next week.

Man oh man, this is a cool, cool object. I was gonna say "bag" but it really feels like a structural, artistic, fabulously but unpretentiously designed "object."

Time to sleep.

Thank you, my dear Forum Friends, for helping me find this bag and, actually more importantly*, for helping me find a great community here on the TB Forums.

*Heresy I know. What could be more important than bags?? I will risk the stoning.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I'm a big TB fan and it's because of these 3 reasons:

1. Design and quality.

2. USA USA USA! (I try to support local business when possible).

3. The amazing customer service and forums! Seriously, I could read reviews all day on other websites. But the detail, patience, and shared bag geek/nerd/obsession is hard to find elsewhere.

I just read this entire SA thread, and I had some questions since I am considering an SA. I currently have an EB for work/commute. Sadly to report, my doctor is recommending me away from shoulder bags for everyday use.

Woe is my back!

I've given new life to my old trusty S25, but it's got an outdoor 'patina' so it that stands out in my work place. The clean lines and modularity of the SA is really attractive as far as a work/commute back goes. It also allows me to "go ninja" when necessary.

I'm impressed with this thread's sharing of ideas and info with the SA. One question that I don't think I saw asked/answered is how much space in the main compartment is compromised if a 1L bottle is stuffed in the side pocket? What about two 1L bottles, one in each pocket? Please share pictures if you have them.

I noticed the SA is available in the new Black Halcyon. Any chance the UMP and LMP will be made in the same material/color combo?

In general I always carry my:

13" MacBook Uni
    Nikon D5500 w/ mounted 17-55 2.8 in an insert
    Eye glass case
    Flashlight
    Multi-tool
    Folding knife
    Zip Ties
    iPad Mini
    Power cables (MacBook, iPad, iPhone, etc.)
    1L water bottle
    Travel umbrella
    Spiral notebook

These items fit very comfortably in the S25, so I'm sure it'll fit in the SA, but I would like flexibility to also include a packing cube with an overnight change of clothes. The ability to attach items to the front seems like a handy feature without screaming military/tactical pack.

Thank you in advance!
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaOps View Post
    I noticed the SA is available in the new Black Halcyon. Any chance the UMP and LMP will be made in the same material/color combo?
    Unfortunately not. Here is Darcy's statement about that. It's in the padded hip belt thread.

"Good question! And.... well.... as the original plan was long ago, we're only making the Smart Alec modular pockets in Black Ballistic going forward. We did do one more batch of various Modular Pocket colors due to requests posted here on the Forums, but that was the very last batch."

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Unfortunately not. Here is Darcy's statement about that. It's in the padded hip belt thread.

"Good question! And.... well.... as the original plan was long ago, we're only making the Smart Alec modular pockets in Black Ballistic going forward. We did do one more batch of various Modular Pocket colors due to requests posted here on the Forums, but that was the very last batch."
    Good to know. This helps me choose a color at checkout if...when I take the plunge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << One question that I don't think I saw asked/answered is how much space in the main compartment is compromised if a 1L bottle is stuffed in the side pocket? What about two 1L bottles, one in each pocket? Please share pictures if you have them.>>

I carry a 1L bottle everyday, and it doesn't create any problems in terms of what I have on the side, though what I carry is not completely rigid (jacket, hat, FAK, etc). I think carrying two bottles might be a bit more strained, but not that much. I carry an umbrella in the other pocket, and have no problem. (I should add, I carry my macbook air every day in a cache, and a pretty good size lunch bag too...)

I suggest also getting the upper pocket for on top of the bag, you can store many of the things on your list in that, and not impact what's in the main bag at all.

Hope this helps....

Forum Member
    Utah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question that I don't think I saw asked/answered is how much space in the main compartment is compromised if a 1L bottle is stuffed in the side pocket? What about two 1L bottles, one in each pocket? Please share pictures if you have them.
    The Smart Alec is cavernous. The water bottle pockets extend inward so that the clean, flush exterior lines of the pack are maintained. You can stuff a 1 L bottle into each of the pockets, but I probably would not do that ... IMHO it compromises the mid-section of the SA for packing purposes.

I am not sure which Ape Case you have. I have the ACQB35. I filled it with a camera and lenses, then packed it into my SA along with a 13" MacBook Pro Retina in a neoprene case, a stuffed Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and a full Side Effect. Sorry in advance that I did not have time to take better quality photos; you should get the general idea.

In the first photo: there is a 1L bottle in the pocket on the left, the MacBook Pro (in light blue case) is against the back (strap side) of the SA, Ape Case with camera in the middle bottom, and the PCSB slipped sideways all the way to the bottom of the SA. There should be lots of room on top of the camera case for the other items you want to pack. My SE fit nicely on top of the Ape Case (not shown in photo).

Be a Smart Alec: I need more information about the Smart Alec-dscf9180-jpg

In this next photo: I've replaced the PCSB with a 1L bottle (this would be bottle #2; #1 is still in the external pocket) and a Side Effect, turned sideways.

Be a Smart Alec: I need more information about the Smart Alec-dscf9182-jpg

The next 2 photos shows what happens when you put a lL bottle in each of the side pockets. My Ape Case still can be packed in between the 2 bottles, but I have to turn it sideways to do so. Note that it is possible to wedge the case in in the same orientation as the first photo, but it distorts the shape of the SA by pushing the sides out too far.

Be a Smart Alec: I need more information about the Smart Alec-dscf9184-jpg

Be a Smart Alec: I need more information about the Smart Alec-dscf9185-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    I am not sure which Ape Case you have. I have the ACQB35. I filled it with a camera and lenses, then packed it into my SA along with a 13" MacBook Pro Retina in a neoprene case, a stuffed Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and a full Side Effect.
    I am using the exact same Ape Case. I'm pretty sure I have it because of another recommendation in the TB forums Smilie. Your load out seems very similar to what I would be carrying. This helps a lot. Thank you for the feedback and images.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers always leads to more questions :P

The SA seems very "rotund" when packed with space filling items like Juanito shared above. It might just be the illusion due to it's lines. Does the SA wear "rotund?" Will it sit flat against my back?

Forum Member
    Utah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IHHO, one of the beauties of the SA is that it does not wear "rotund" (great way to visualize the question). It is a very comfortable pack and is narrow enough (on me, and I am not a large person) that it does not get in the way or feel like a load .. unless, of course, you pack it with a watermelon as someone else on the forum has done.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PandaOps, I decided that a completely full SA would not accommodate water bottles well for me because it was annoying to squeeze them back into the pockets. But keep in mind that I was planning to almost always have a stuffed SA (travel bag mode, not edc):

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...t-sa-v-wf.html

A stuffed SA isn't uncomfortable, though--that's not why I returned mine. The back part stays flat. It's the sides away from your back that fill up in a round shape.

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << Does the SA wear "rotund?" Will it sit flat against my back? >>

No, it sits flat. Especially if you have a laptop and cache against your back. My S19 gets very round when stuffed; the SA does not.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to know. This helps me choose a color at checkout if...when I take the plunge.

@PandaOps, The Black Ballistic Upper Modular Pockets are currently out of stock. Just yesterday, a little after your post, in another Smart Alec thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by debschwartz1 View Post
    Oh jeeeeez I was about to check out when I was informed the UMP is out of stock in black! I pondered pitching a fit, having a tantrum, etc. and decided against it. Instead, just a little moping.
    And that was my question to Darcy about whether they were planning to make more of the modular pockets in Halcyon that @pammy referenced. Both the Halcyon Smart Alecs and their modular pockets flew out the door when they were announced for the first batch of dark grid Halcyon at the end of June. Some people ordered the modular pocket as they settled in to wait for their interior color combination of choice. (And BTW, I think that having the announcement of SA availability in Nordic/Northwest Sky show up just after @Pokilani placed an order for a Mini Yeoman Duffel was cruel.)

HTH

moriond

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Both the Halcyon Smart Alecs and their modular pockets flew out the door when they were announced for the first batch of dark grid Halcyon at the end of June. Some people ordered the modular pocket as they settled in to wait for their interior color combination of choice. (And BTW, I think that having the announcement of SA availability in Nordic/Northwest Sky show up just after @Pokilani placed an order for a Mini Yeoman Duffel was cruel.)

HTH

moriond
    It's all good. It's not the first time, which tells you something about my buying habits! Be a Smart Alec: I need more information about the Smart Alec I am very happy I ordered my Nordic UMP months ago. And soon I will have my much anticipated Nordic/NWS SA. I hope I like it!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing, purchased a Nordic UMP. I was hoping that the Nordic SAs would be made with an interior color other than wasabi. Now I am sort of having buyer's remorse after looking at the beautiful black halcyon/Island SA. I love that combination. If I had known that the halcyon UMPs and LMPs were a limited run, then I would have purchased both pouches in both colors and then decided later after I saw the finished products. If only I had a crystal ball ...

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I did the same thing, purchased a Nordic UMP. I was hoping that the Nordic SAs would be made with an interior color other than wasabi. Now I am sort of having buyer's remorse after looking at the beautiful black halcyon/Island SA. I love that combination. If I had known that the halcyon UMPs and LMPs were a limited run, then I would have purchased both pouches in both colors and then decided later after I saw the finished products. If only I had a crystal ball ...
    I totally and completely resonate with this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast