Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Nordic Smart Alecs are now being made with a Northwest Sky interior. But if you end up buying a different color, I'm sure you'll find an eager recipient for the Nordic UMP. (Not me, since I'm one of the few people who prefers the backpack without the pouches, but there are a lot of Nordic fans out there.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pokilani I oredered the very same SA and also had ordered the UMP/LMP back than... Great minds think alike ;-)
    This will give my beloved oNordic SA a bit of a rest now and than. So it stays in better condition for my inheritance:-D

So exited about this. I am in SA heaven!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I totally and completely resonate with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I think the Nordic Smart Alecs are now being made with a Northwest Sky interior. But if you end up buying a different color, I'm sure you'll find an eager recipient for the Nordic UMP. (Not me, since I'm one of the few people who prefers the backpack without the pouches, but there are a lot of Nordic fans out there.)
    Somewhere on these forums a month ago or so I had seen a thread from Darcy about making the Nordic/NWS SA, so I held out until yesterday and then ordered one along with a nordic PCSB, SE, and NWS small SC to match - she was very nice in keeping me aware and updated. Unfortunately I didn't start frequenting these forums until my first Bihn purchase late this summer so I didn't even know about the UMP in new halcyon

I'm putting in my strong vote that Tom make the modular pockets in black/nordic halcyon as I'm guessing customers buying these fabrics have a strong preference for the style/look and are thus maybe a (emerging?) new customer segment ... but maybe it's just me.

I'd also vote for some type of pre-order / limited quantity order system so that we can get the colors we want, especially for debuts. Seems like it would provide predictability for production as well; customers could pre-order debut items in a limited quantity for a limited duration and then we'd be charged when our orders ship along a production timeline on a first in / first out basis.

This could also be used like kickstarter in that Tom could say if he gets 100 pre-orders for X bag in X colors then they'll make them. In that fashion they could move towards a just-in-time production mode rather than build/store/sell (at least for part of their sales), but that's obviously just an outsider's observation.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 12-01-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm sure you are right. For now, I am going to sit tight and ponder the Nordic versus black halcyon dilemma. I really am not in a hurry for a new SA. A while back I was fortunate to get an original dyneema one at a fantastic price and honestly, I don't think it was ever used. It looks, feels, and even smells brand new. So when the original dyneema UMPs and LMPs were finally made after a very long absence, I bought both. But the justifying part of my brain says I can give Mr. pammy the original dyneema SA and I can buy myself a new one, not that there is hers and his TB stuff in our house.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We intended to reduce the color options of the Smart Alec Modular Pockets to just Black a while ago. Then, as I recall, folks asked for one last batch of color options and we made that one last batch. (I wish I had moriond's amazing memory or search skills... if I did, I'd link to those threads!)

Fast forward to now and.... this time we're really going to stick with Modular Pockets in Black only. As we debut new designs to join our wide variety of bags and accessories and add new colors to our already impressive palette, we must either retire existing designs or colors, or at the very least, reduce size or color options in existing designs. That does't make it any easier, we know..... it's hard enough for us to make these decisions! But that might be obvious looking at the wide variety of designs and colors we offer (and the resulting complexity we take on) while being a small company and all.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That does't make it any easier, we know..... it's hard enough for us to make these decisions! But that might be obvious looking at the wide variety of designs and colors we offer (and the resulting complexity we take on) while being a small company and all.
    Hopefully once those puppies are trained on the production line you can broaden back out - Claire looks like she's already getting proficient working with the Sitka:

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-01-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7