Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Does a Field Journal Notebook fit (horizontally) inside a Daylight Backpack?

How about an Synapse 19?

Thinking of using the FJN as an everyday carry, and quickly drop in my Daylight or Synapse for larger load days. I would want it to lay horizontally (like it's carried), not vertically. Searched the forums (even the "marsupials" thread), but couldn't find this.

Thank you in advance.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the height of the FJN is 9.8".that would be the width on its side . the width of the DLBP is 11.8". the width of the S19 is 11.4". it appears the FJN would fit both lying in horizontal mode.

HTH.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by common raven View Post
    How about an Synapse 19?

Thinking of using the FJN as an everyday carry, and quickly drop in my Daylight or Synapse for larger load days. I would want it to lay horizontally (like it's carried), not vertically. Searched the forums (even the "marsupials" thread), but couldn't find this.

Thank you in advance.
    @common raven, Yes, the long dimension of the Field Journal Notebook width is about the same as the original model iPad in a cache, so anywhere you could fit those iPads (and there are pictures of these in those bags in the forums), will fit an FJN in horizontal orientation. In the Synapse 19, you'd want to put it in the bottom of the main compartment, and not in the half-height elastic pocket, if you want to carry it horizontally. That top edge of that pocket extends about 3" above the height of the horizontally oriented FJN, and since the Synapse width tapers towards the top, it's too hard to get the FJN into and out of that pocket when it's carried horizontally.

In the Daylight Backpack, whose cross-section is modeled on the wider Synapse 25, you could place the horizontal FJN in the bottom tiered pocket, but alternatively, I would probably just let it sit at the bottom of the main compartment, with the option of tethering it via a keystrap to one of the O-rings on either side just above that bottom tiered pocket if I wanted an additional way to secure it. The FJN sits just slightly below where the zippers start in the DLBP, so it rests entirely and securely at the bottom of that bag.

FJN Dimensions: 9.8" x 7.9" x 2.2" / 250 x 200 x 55 mm
    Original iPad in Cache (exterior dimensions -- they don't list this any more): 9.75" x 7.7" x 0.625"

You can see why mentally carrying an image of the iPad in a cache in horizontal orientation gives a good approximation of the FJN, which isn't quite as tall.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took two fast non fancy pics here:
    In the lower shingled pocket though getting it past the elastic is nothing I would like to do on a regular basis:

In the main compartment, a lose and easy fit:

Ilkyway

Sent from my phone
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the useful information. I think I will probably try this. Shucks, another excuse for me to place another order. At Ilkyway, just wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed all of your posts and pictures on these forums. Thanks all again.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Field Journal Notebook will quickly drop horizontally into the main compartment of my cordura Daylight Backpack, will fit with a bit of effort into the lower shingled pocket as Ilkyway showed in her photos and with a bit more effort will fit in the front diagonally zippered pocket. The effort required to fit it into either of the two pockets depends on how full the Notebook is. Mine is lightly loaded at the moment. If it were fatter, it would be more of a struggle, especially in the front pocket.
    Last edited by JohnDel; 05-01-2016 at 01:30 PM.