Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    badger, I'm seeing the Hobonichi Techo 2016 on Amazon. Not cheap ( and January start), but it's there.
    Yes, I should have mentioned that; for some reason I thought someone was asking about next year's Techo? At this point, I don't know if I would splash out on the 2016 because (as you note) Jan-May have already passed. The English version only has a January start date but maybe in the future they will begin offering an April start date version as well.

It might be different this year but in the past, Amazon didn't start selling the Techo until it had already been out a while; if you order from Japan you can get it a bit early so you can figure out how you want to use it. Also, the only way to access all of the licensed Techo covers is to shop on the Japanese site. If there's something you really want, get it because (like here) things sell out disturbingly quickly.

@moriond, I love the look of those little memo books but could never justify them given that I sometimes have trouble filling up the pages of the books I already have, and I'm sort of on a notebook buying moratorium. However: I'm probably going to switch to the Weeks for next year, which surely means I'll need the extra books, right?

(Notebook buying moratorium? I crack myself up sometimes.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Badger, you're incorgiable.
    Thanks, moriond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Yes, I should have mentioned that; for some reason I thought someone was asking about next year's Techo? At this point, I don't know if I would splash out on the 2016 because (as you note) Jan-May have already passed. The English version only has a January start date but maybe in the future they will begin offering an April start date version as well.

It might be different this year but in the past, Amazon didn't start selling the Techo until it had already been out a while; if you order from Japan you can get it a bit early so you can figure out how you want to use it. Also, the only way to access all of the licensed Techo covers is to shop on the Japanese site. If there's something you really want, get it because (like here) things sell out disturbingly quickly.

@moriond, I love the look of those little memo books but could never justify them given that I sometimes have trouble filling up the pages of the books I already have, and I'm sort of on a notebook buying moratorium. However: I'm probably going to switch to the Weeks for next year, which surely means I'll need the extra books, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check eBay for the hobo techo.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you did there...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @TavaPeak,
    Was this deliberate? (I like the word "incorgiable" as applied to @Badger -- somehow, the "corgi" part of the word casts everything into the proper perspective.)

@Badger, I meant that i liked using those memo pad notebooks independent of any use of the Weeks planner. This is about the right size for me to write up notes that I want to keep on a long term basis. I used to use the Letts of London Slim pocket diaries, but as time went on, the quality of paper that they used deteriorated, and the space for notes (as opposed to the calendar section) diminished, so I gave up on this. (I would have taken a picture with one of these in the pocket insert, except the diary year would have been embarrassingly old).

Since these memo books are thinner than the weeks planners, and you can transfer them over from year to year, and take your time filling them up, they're probably a better investment than the weekly planner for someone who doesn't journal all the time. For shorter term entries, you can use either the Field Journal Notebooks or the Moleskine Cahiers, although neither of these choices has the most fountain pen friendly paper. (It says something about the quality of the Letts Pocket Diaries -- at least the ones commonly sold in the U.S. -- that I was finding the paper to not even be gel-pen friendly before I gave up on these.)

moriond

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Won't mention the influence of cold meds.

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

@Badger, I meant that i liked using those memo pad notebooks independent of any use of the Weeks planner. This is about the right size for me to write up notes that I want to keep on a long term basis. I used to use the Letts of London Slim pocket diaries, but as time went on, the quality of paper that they used deteriorated, and the space for notes (as opposed to the calendar section) diminished, so I gave up on this. (I would have taken a picture with one of these in the pocket insert, except the diary year would have been embarrassingly old).
    I realize on re-reading how inarticulately I expressed myself: what I meant to say is that I could never justify buying additional memo books when I have enough trouble as it is filling up the daily pages of the Techo because of my tiny handwriting. Because the Hobonichi Weeks has much less room for notes, the purchase of additional memo books are now "justified" (or so I tell myself).

While I really love the simplicity of having a single planner/memo book/calendar, I think the combination of the Weeks and memo books might be better for the way I actually work. The customizability is what I appreciate about the Midori Traveler system, but I couldn't get past the aesthetics to get on board with it. I'm looking forward to checking out the Weeks when the 2017 edition is released.

Do you know how well the Hobo memo books fit into the FJN pocket insert?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you know how well the Hobo memo books fit into the FJN pocket insert?
    The Hobonichi memo books fit extremely well into the FJN pocket insert -- that's one of the memo books in tan sitting in the pocket insert, on top of a Letts of London Slim Pocket Diary (had to cover up the year -- too embarrassingly old) -- and the pencil board for the weeks placed in between the two different pocket inserts also shows you the sizing.

That pocket also matches the Midori large D-Clips and any of the standard address booklets that Letts of London or others use, The Hobonichi weeks planner itself might be a bit thick to insert in that pocket. But the memo books fit that pocket as though it were designed for them.

moriond

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the memo books fit that pocket as though it were designed for them.
    I was afraid you'd say that.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moriond-- did you ever get a reply on the plastic section, sans 3-rings?

@JohnDel, @Lime,

I've put in a query about whether they could either sell the 3-ring insert with just the plastic section (and no rings), or the front rectangular cover insert (if the latter is not an option). Then you could insert sketchbooks or Circa Notebooks without having to worry about punching holes in the paper.

Also, just thought I'd note that they restocked the FJN inserts after I posted my pictures

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caesg View Post
    Moriond-- did you ever get a reply on the plastic section, sans 3-rings?
    Hi @caesg,

I tried to call ask again about the separate availability of plastic inserts yesterday. My current understanding is that this possibility may hinge on the way they are supplied with the basic makings for the sheets and 3-ring binders -- for example, if the terms of their purchase is for matched number lots of metal binders and plastic backings, it might not be possible to sell any of these parts separately, even if the actual punching/attachment of rings to plastic is done by the TB folks using a machine in-house. So the very helpful customer support folks will try to pass on this request to someone who might know.

This has been an incredibly busy year, and the few occasions that I've asked about this have usually overlapped times of major design efforts or when several key people were away.

HTH as an update,

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One solution would be to use Moose Lefty ring orientation as shown by Moriond in post #2 of this thread.

Then use an elastic to secure the back cover of the Circa to the FJN Plastic leaf: https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16645272711

The top cover of the Circa might fit under the pen slots.

I forgot about Circa after getting the FJN!

How do you deal with all those little tabs to keep in place, did you ever spilled the content of your Circa?

I was also able to avoid all the other notebooks and planners crazes because of the FJN.

Thanks Tom!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FNBJ is really enticing, but I need to stick with Circa instead of going beck to three rings. I couldn't justify $90 for a hack (removing the three ring binder) that seemed like it might not fit my Circa Junior calendar. After searching dimensions of other TB products, I got the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag instead, and am really loving it. In the main compartment I can fit this year's calendar (in a Levenger leather zip cover), and next year's, which is in a (now discontinued) Levenger fabric notebook cover. Both have 1" discs, and there is room to spare to put pens and highlighters in the outer pocket. I clipped on a cotton strap from an old briefcase, and it rides very comfortably on my shoulder. This does not give you the same features as the FJNB: it only comes in Halcyon, it doesn't function as a notebook folio, and you won't have a pen pocket opposite your open pages. Also, a thinner Circa (or combo of Circas) might bounce around inside. However, it works great for me.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @sallyforth,

Another option that people might consider for carrying the Levenger Circa Junior calendar is to use the new Side Kick. It's very close in dimensions to the Field Journal Notebook -- very slightly longer, and just a tad less tall.

You can see a picture of the Azure FJN shown in my earlier posts inside a Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick in this post (#15) in the debut day thread about the Side Kick. I'll excerpt the picture:

From the product page pictures of the Side Kick seen in side views, you can tell that the top zipper for this accessory opens down to the points on the side at which the shoulder strap attaches -- it does not unzip all the way, as in the Field Journal Notebook, so that the accessory can open flat (and be supported when the webbing strap is around your neck, even when there is no flat surface around on which to support the FJN while you write). However, since that is also not going to be a feature of your use of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag to hold the Circa Junior, that shouldn't be a concern when using the Side Kick.

Another possible advantage of the Side Kick over the PCSB is that there are built in slots for pens, and additional pocket organizers for other stationary items. Plus, you can choose the material to either be Halcyon or Ballistic Nylon. And if you want solid colors as opposed to the white grid Halcyon of the PCSB, you would also have that option.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-14-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great that the PCSB works for you Sallyforth!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast