Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me pack my kayak!

I got an inflatable kayak yesterday, and took her out for a maiden voyage on the Mississippi. It's an Intex K1 Challenger, and it was fun!

Help me pack my kayak!-img_3684-1-jpg
    BUT, it's heavy (25 pounds?) and I don't drive, so I packed it on my bike trailer, a Burley Travoy. The boat and paddle and seat fit in the Travoy tote bag, which is a 40 liter bag https://burley.com/product/travoy-tote-bag/. It's 22" long.
    Here's a picture of it on my bike.
    Help me pack my kayak!-img_3686-jpg

As you can see, the seat and the paddles stick out. In addition to the boat, paddle, and seat, I have to carry a pump and life jacket, and they don't fit in the tote. Yesterday I stuffed those things in my Smart Alec, and used the Smart Alec as a footrest. But that meant an extra bag, where one duffel with everything attached to the trailer would be a better solution.
    And of course I'm thinking a Yeoman Duffel might be just the thing. But I'm not sure I'd be able to carry it on my back, with the handles as backpack straps. I'm short, but sturdy. It seems like I'll be able to pack the boat down pretty small, and the paddle breaks down into 5 pieces, so that's small too. The life jacket and seat are pretty bulky.
    I should mention that whatever bag I use will get really really dirty. Full of sand and smell like lake water. So it'd be nice if it would be easy to clean.
    Any ideas? I'd love to hear them!
    Last edited by Rocks; 05-27-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A possibility is a large Eagle Creek No Matter What duffel with the optional Quick Snap Strap backpack strap. I had a small one of these once and it was pretty good duffel. The large is 30 inches long. However, you might consider getting a four-piece paddle. This will pack into a 30-inch or smaller bag.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, sujo! I could've made the paddle even smaller by removing the blades, too. I just didn't. I was super tired after paddling and schlepping. I've been looking at camp duffels with backpack straps, but the Yeoman comes in pretty colors.... and it looks durable and stuffable. I just wonder if I can use the handles as backpack straps for a short distance carry from bike to shore.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the blades are particularly difficult to undo after a day on the water. I agree about the Yeoman. I have a Pakboat folding kayak, which has an aluminum frame, in the company-provided duffel and really wanted to upgrade to the Yeoman. Unfortunately, the largest frame piece is about 28 inches long, so it will not fit. I was very sad about that because it seems so perfect.

I'd say go for it. You can always use the Absolute Strap!

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have an Absolute Strap. That's a good idea! I've been looking at pictures of the Yeoman, and I'm pretty sure it's big enough. I'm also considering a Patagonia Black Hole, which has actual shoulder straps. But the prices are fairly equivalent, so if the Yeoman would work, that would be my choice.
    Has anyone tried to carry it with the handles as straps like in the product pictures?