Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Boston's north shore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fit Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad in A45 Packing Cube Backpack or Pack Cube Shoulder Bag?

Does anyone own both a Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad and a PCB (Aeronaut) or PCSB?

The stated packed size of the Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad is 12 x 2.75 x 2.5 inches. (Dimensions courtesy of REI, so likely accurate.)

It seems like it should definitely fit in the bottom pocket of my PCB (13.5" x 4.25"), and probably even into a lightly packed PCSB (11.75" x 7.75" x 3") since we're talking about bendable EVA foam and a soft-sided bag.

If anyone owns the seat pad as well as one of these bags, I would be so grateful to know that the pad fits before I order one.

Our family is heading to Alaska this summer, and my current health status means a simple addition like a cushioned/heat-reflecting seat pad might make all the difference between enjoying an excursion vs. pain. (I've considering inflatable seat pads, but quick deployment and no mouthpiece to get dirty outdoors make the folding foam more attractive, assuming I can carry it in an easily deployable fashion!)

Thanks!
    --willo

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting on a Z seat pad- its additional cushioning on my dining room chairs while on the computer. I don't currently own a PCSB, but have in the past, and I would say no, its unlikely to fit comfortably. You might be able to contort it but looks too long to fit straight. I know you said you didn't want the inflatable seat, but I will put a plug in for my Thermarest inflatable seat. I mostly use it outdoors, and have never had an issue with dirt getting in the mouth piece. It takes like 2 or 3 breaths to inflate it. I carry it everywhere. LLBean also has a version, which is slightly less expensive.

I just measured mine (Z seat) and its a 13 1/4" long and when folded up is 2 3/4" x 2 1/4". Its possible they have reformulated it to be shorter, but that's what mine is (maybe 5 years old?).
    Last edited by sturbridge; 05-27-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got this folding seat: EVA Folding Outdoor Seat (there are various colors and sellers on Amazon, if you search for "folding foam seat")

This seat is a little narrower and shorter than the Thermarest, and folds up slightly flatter. It is actually a better fit for me when I throw it in the Small Shop Bag - doesn't stick out as much as the Z-seat. Dimensions are listed as 27 x 9.5 x 4 cm. Otherwise it's just as comfy as the Z-rest (I can't speak to its durability, I've only had it a couple of days). Might be worth comparing to the dimensions of the PCBP-A and PCSB!
    Last edited by haraya; 05-27-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fit Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad in A45 Packing Cube Backpack or Pack Cube Shoulder Bag?

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I'm sitting on a Z seat pad- its additional cushioning on my dining room chairs while on the computer. I don't currently own a PCSB, but have in the past, and I would say no, its unlikely to fit comfortably. You might be able to contort it but looks too long to fit straight. I know you said you didn't want the inflatable seat, but I will put a plug in for my Thermarest inflatable seat. I mostly use it outdoors, and have never had an issue with dirt getting in the mouth piece. It takes like 2 or 3 breaths to inflate it. I carry it everywhere. LLBean also has a version, which is slightly less expensive.

I just measured mine (Z seat) and its a 13 1/4" long and when folded up is 2 3/4" x 2 1/4". Its possible they have reformulated it to be shorter, but that's what mine is (maybe 5 years old?).
    I will second Sturbridge's recommendation regarding the Thermarest inflatable seat. I have both the Z and the inflatable and both are comfortable and I have used them for several years while hiking and backpacking. In terms of ease of transport, the inflatable is nice, since it takes up so little space when deflated. I will include a couple of photos of each with a PCSB. The Z is slightly too long to fit easily in a PCSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Boston's north shore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I thought it was a long shot that someone would have both Therm-a-Rest pad and bag... I should've known experts would abound in this forum. Smilie

Thanks for the (very precise) help!

I may try a combo of seat pads and then pack what fits best.

I've learned that I lean toward quick deployment for camping beds (hence the Z fold) but the annoyance factor for a small seat pad vs. a giant mattress may be rather different. (Mattress can't fit in the car without being correctly stowed; seat pad could be tucked under an arm while wandering between museum exhibits, say.)

I very much appreciate the time you all took to help me.

--willo