Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect Shoulder Strap - does it work with PCSB?

Just got a Fjord PCSB (probably a return--thank you to whoever returned it!) and it doesn't have a shoulder strap. (I didn't read carefully enough--just jumped at the color!) I'm looking at a Side Effect and it says it does come with a shoulder strap. Has anyone ever used it with the PCSB? Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the standard strap works well.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Side Effect shoulder strap with my PCSB before, and it works fine. If you're carrying heavier loads or for longer distances, it may get uncomfortable, but as long as it's pretty light, you're good to go. I'd just suggest trying it yourself, with whatever you'd normally carry in it!
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both. I'll try it out, but I'm sure it will be fine as I plan to keep it light!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a PCSB as my everyday bag, and frequently it is stuffed quite full, including with heavier things (books, water bottle). I use the thin Side Effect strap because I find it less bulky and annoying than using the standard strap. I don't miss the extra padding.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a waist strap for my PCSB and wear it like a fanny pack. It also works for cross-body carry.

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an "aftermarket" strap for SE and PCSB that I borrow from a Lesportsac Kylie bag. It's wide, adjustable, comfy.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I use a waist strap for my PCSB and wear it like a fanny pack. It also works for cross-body carry.
    Are you talking about the gatekeeper waist strap? How would it work cross-body? Having the option to use as a fanny pack or carry cross-body without bringing an extra strap might be really helpful.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    Are you talking about the gatekeeper waist strap? How would it work cross-body? Having the option to use as a fanny pack or carry cross-body without bringing an extra strap might be really helpful.
    Yeah, the waist strap that comes standard on the Synapses and Smart Alec. The straps flap around if you use them cross body, but it's no big deal. You can tuck them in. I use a zest PCSB for night biking sometimes, and the waist strap works really well. It's beefier than a Side Effect strap, too, but not that much heavier.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Rocks, I'll get one when I get my Nordic/Iberian side effect.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I've never considered using the really thin Side Effect shoulder strap with a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I fact, I'm one of those people who doesn't like the thin strap the SE comes with. I've purchased an after-market adjustable strap that is 1 inch wide to use with my SE, because it feels so much sturdier.

I might consider using a 1" strap with the PCSB but not the thin one.

Although... I've made my own hacks before. I've taken the 1.5-inch lanyards that come with my race medals and converted THEM into shoulder straps for my PCSB. The lanyards aren't quite so bulky but still provide a good width feel for me.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't use the SE strap for the SE, let alone PCSB either as it digs into my shoulder (perhaps from injuries in my younger days) in a way I can't tolerate. I find it perfect, however, for the 3DOC when I use that as a minimal purse. I can also convert it to a hip pack. I have envy for those who can carry larger bags crossbody. I suppose it saves me from buying the MCB though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk