Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the red light for?

I see that one can get a Guardian Light in red or white. What is the purpose of the red light?
    Confused

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I see that one can get a Guardian Light in red or white. What is the purpose of the red light?
    Confused
    I believe it's so one can be seen in the dark.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Confused
    I think it is better for eyes already adjusted to the dark. Also, if blinking, it would stand out easier than a sea of white lights.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By the way, the plastic caps for the red and white lights are interchangeable, and work between the two different models. I got the original Guardian Light (when it was only available with the Lanyard attachment) in Red. After many bags were fitting with a webbing strap to mount the second version of the Guardian light (called the "strap-mount" version), I got this with the White light. You can switch combinations between the two varieties, and also with the Dog Guardian Light.

You can also mount one of these lights on the webbing of one of your backpack shoulder straps, should you want a light that you can turn on at should height (when putting keys into a lock), although I usually carry a dedicated pocket flashlight for that. Oddly enough, there are a lot more pictures on the Skookum Dog Guardian light product page showing details of different ways this light can be attached than on the main Guardian light page.

HTH

moriond

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my light on my Synapse 25. I use it in blinky mode when I ride my bike if it's even remotely dark. It makes me much more visible from behind.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If wondering about the benefits of the red light, I agree with @roarmouse:

Red light helps preserve your night vision so you can still see things not in the direct light. However, there are some studies that show a green or blue green may be even better as it also helps visual acuity (sharpness) and color differentiation. Note - a bright light - red or otherwise will not help preserve your night vision.

Red is also the color of light to have around when trying to sleep (digital clocks, etc). Blue keeps you awake.

As @moriond indicated, most TB bags have a loop to hold the guardian light and is a great emergency thing. Here is my Ristretto and Maker's Bag with the white version (the red version reminded me too much of the Terminator cyborg staring at me Smilie). I use the elastic loop under the buckle to hold it on but you can hook it to your shoulder strap too or dangle it with the strap version.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread but I have been trying to put the guardian light strap mount on the elastic but the elastic is too narrow to secure the light....am I missing something?

Also can replacement elastic rings for the light be found?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I have been trying to put the guardian light strap mount on the elastic but the elastic is too narrow to secure the light....am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi @Drpepper!

What elastic have you been trying to secure the light to? Could you take a picture of it? Do you have the one that comes on the yellow strap or the standalone one? Are you trying to secure it to the loop on the bottom of a Synapse? How wide is the thing you’re trying to secure it to? The Guardian light base can fit into a strap 1” or 1.5” wide, depending on if you use the long sides or short sides to slide it on the strap.

Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the red light for?

Ack! I totally forgot to post that but I was referring to the Ristretto picture above. I have both types of mounts (yellow strap and stand alone).
    Thanks for asking

Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post

Thanks

Hi @Drpepper,
    Regarding the Guardian Strap Mount lights, take a look at the pictures in my posts #22 dated 06-04-2019, and #28 dated 06-06-2019, in response to @backpack’s questions about the Guardian light in the New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic thread.

I’ll excerpt some pictures here.

The strap mount lights are the two versions shown with the red plastic dome and Coyote base, and the clear plastic dome and black base at the lower right. (Color balance is off for the Coyote base — this is the same light that is shown in an earlier picture in my post attached to the webbing strap at the base of my Guides Edition Synapse 25 in Deep Blue/Coyote).

Here’s another picture of this light that I’m copying from the Canadian adventurelights.com site:
    What is the red light for?-img_2321-edit4_0-jpg

You can see that you can thread this light either onto a 1” wide webbing strap using the connection slots along the short end (left and right sides of the light base), or onto 1.5” wide webbing, such as the webbing loop at the base of the Synapse 25, and other bags in earlier pictures in the current thread, by using the connection slots in the front and back.

Here’s an excerpted picture of what the back side of the (Coyote) Guardian Strap Mount light (that was sold as the Skookum Dog Guardian Light when it was still in stock), attached to the 1” wide webbing of a collar or leash:
    What is the red light for?-guardian-dog-safety-light-underside_1024x1024-jpg

You can see that to detach the Guardian Light Base from the webbing, you’d pop the section of webbing at the bottom left part of the light into the notch in the slot at the left side, and pop the section of webbing at the top right of the light into the similar notch in the slot at the top right. Once I. That posisition, you’s Just rotate the webbing strap counterclockwise with respect to Guardian Light Strap base to detach the light from the webbing. To attach the light to 1” wide webbing, simply reverse the process. To attach the base to 1.5” webbing, use the corresponding slot notches at the top and bottom of the light base.

I’m not sure what you mean by “replacement elastic rings”. If I unscrew the clear plastic dome from the base to access the battery. There is a thin O-ring around the top thread, such as you’ll see in some flashlights. But I’ve never removed this, and wouldn’t know where to get replacements of just this O-ring. (The red and clear plastic domes can easily be swapped).

You could try contacting Adventure Lights (in Canada), who appear to manufacture the mil-spec versions. They also seem to distribute their product to other vendors of dog safety lights, so you may find the product that way, or for boating. But I doubt that they separately sell the O-rings. Here’s one such site I found looking for dog safety lights:
    https://www.orvis.com/p/led-safety-c...SABEgKMB_D_BwE

As Darcy has previously said, it’s possible to find non-milspec versions of this type of light on Amazon and elsewhere made by other manufacturers

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-25-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @Drpepper,
    Regarding the Guardian Strap Mount lights, take a look at the pictures in my posts #22 dated 06-04-2019, and #28 dated 06-06-2019, in response to @backpack’s questions about the Guardian light in the New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic thread.

I’ll excerpt some pictures here.

The strap mount lights are the two versions shown with the red plastic dome and Coyote base, and the clear plastic dome and black base at the lower right. (Color balance is off for the Coyote base — this is the same light that is shown in an earlier picture in my post attached to the webbing strap at the base of my Guides Edition Synapse 25 in Deep Blue/Coyote).

Here’s another picture of this light that I’m copying from the Canadian adventurelights.com site:
    What is the red light for?-img_2321-edit4_0-jpg

You can see that you can thread this light either onto a 1” wide webbing strap using the connection slots along the short end (left and right sides of the light base), or onto 1.5” wide webbing, such as the webbing loop at the base of the Synapse 25, and other bags in earlier pictures in the current thread, by using the connection slots in the front and back.

Here’s an excerpted picture of what the back side of the (Coyote) Guardian Strap Mount light (that was sold as the Skookum Dog Guardian Light when it was still in stock), attached to the 1” wide webbing of a collar or leash:
    What is the red light for?-guardian-dog-safety-light-underside_1024x1024-jpg

You can see that to detach the Guardian Light Base from the webbing, you’d pop the section of webbing at the bottom left part of the light into the notch in the slot at the left side, and pop the section of webbing at the top right of the light into the similar notch in the slot at the top right. Once I. That posisition, you’s Just rotate the webbing strap counterclockwise with respect to Guardian Light Strap base to detach the light from the webbing. To attach the light to 1” wide webbing, simply reverse the process. To attach the base to 1.5” webbing, use the corresponding slot notches at the top and bottom of the light base.

I’m not sure what you mean by “replacement elastic rings”. If I unscrew the clear plastic dome from the base to access the battery. There is a thin O-ring around the top thread, such as you’ll see in some flashlights. But I’ve never removed this, and wouldn’t know where to get replacements of just this O-ring. (The red and clear plastic domes can easily be swapped).

You could try contacting Adventure Lights (in Canada), who appear to manufacture the mil-spec versions. They also seem to distribute their product to other vendors of dog safety lights, so you may find the product that way, or for boating. But I doubt that they separately sell the O-rings. Here’s one such site I found looking for dog safety lights:
    https://www.orvis.com/p/led-safety-c...SABEgKMB_D_BwE

As Darcy has previously said, it’s possible to find non-milspec versions of this type of light on Amazon and elsewhere made by other manufacturers

HTH

moriond
    @moriond
    Thank you so much for the details....very helpful. I saw that one picture where it was mounted on the ristretto and just tried putting it on that elastic loop. Went back after your post and saw that it would fit securely around the 1.5 inch strap if I turned it 90 degrees.
    I do need a new o-ring though and will reach out to the manufacturer you mentioned.
    Thanks so much for all of your wisdom about TB products. I especially enjoy reading your bag version history as I have lots of older bags. I just wish Tapatalk’s search features worked better so I could find them easier.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anyone needs this info: this is correct size o-ring for the guardian light.