Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect vs. Packing Cube Shoulder Bag?

I just one-bagged it with a WF and my cross body purse, and I was not happy with the purse getting in the way, so I think I want to pack something that can be used as a purse later in the trip.

I ordered and returned a ballistic nylon SE because I really did not like it. Too stiff for a bag that small. And several forum commenters said I would like the SE in halcyon fabric better.

So now my question is, do I go for a SE or should I do a PCSB instead?
    Can anyone post some pics of them wearing the SE or PCSB or them side by side, please?
    And would you get the simple strap or the loop strap or use something else?

(And yes, I realize I could order both and send one back, but I'd prefer to get some pros and cons from you all first.)

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no photos but i have both. the side effect is much smaller. its like a purse organizer for me. the pcsb is not a purse organizer. its definitely purse sized. so very differnt to me. id get both and use the side effect in the pcsb.

also i dont know about the ballistic for either of these since i only use halcyon.

actually you wrote: "...so I think I want to pack something that can be used as a purse later in the trip." in that case id def recommend you get the pcsb and not the se. getting the se in halcyon isnt going to make it any larger. well. you got it in ballistic nylon. i know it was stiff, but you got the idea about how large it was. if you think it was a good size but didnt like how stiff it was, then the pcsb is going to be too large for you. get the se in halcyon. but if you think that the halcyon is going to make the se seem roomier or larger because the fabrics thinner, nope. get the pcsb. hope that helps!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melonpan View Post
    id get both and use the side effect in the pcsb.
    GAH! You TBers are terrible enablers. I mean that in a nice way.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post128439
    That photo that I posted in another thread has a PCSB and a Side effect, both in halcyon, for size comparison purposes. The PCSB holds much more: I can get a full size magazine and other stuff in it.

Los Angeles, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the SE inside the PCSB. Both in Black Halcyon. I freely admit I have the same combo in Nordic as well, but for my recent trip I used the Black. Both with a Black Halcyon DLBC (Daylight Briefcase). And a Black Halcyon A30. Dream combo. Not sure I can ever go back to anything else.

When I wasn't working, the PCSB was perfect with a Simple strap (with the plastic pad cut off) as a walking-around bag. The SE provides some nice organization inside (otherwise the PCSB is a little floppy, in my opinion, even with the 400d weight.) So inside the PCSB was the TB First Aid Kit, SE, a travel umbrella, water bottle, notebook. Various pouches for receipts, coins, etc.

When I was working, I put the SE inside the DLBC with my computer and papers.

My friend with her very pretty, expensive black leather travel purse looked at me with envy when it started raining. And when I discovered my snack pack of crackers had broken and left cracker crumbs all over everything, it was ridiculously easy to take out pouches, flip the entire PCSB inside out and brush off the crumbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was a Ravelry post or maybe moriond who recommended using a medium double organizer pouch in the exterior pocket of the PCSB as a stiffener as it can sag otherwise. Provides some extra organizational capability too.

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When traveling via plane I use an S25 and a Side effect. The SE is small enough that it just sits on my hip and holds phone and wallet and a few other essentials to get me through security, Starbucks and on to the plane. Then I tuck the SE into the bottom pocket of the S25.

For me the SE is sufficient to hold my EDC of COW, checkbook, reading and sun glasses, phone and a small OP with misc. items. Took me a while to get the right combo and order of placing things in the bag to get it to work effectively and not annoyingly. I actually like the stiff ballistic. Holds it's shape. I use the basic strap it comes with because I can quickly make it long enough for cross body or short enough to hang on one shoulder and tuck under my upper arm.

When I feel I need more for walking around I add a SCB empty inside the S25. At my destination I can then move in my EDC items, water bottle, ipad mini, etc. and go.
    Last edited by Saltgirl; 08-06-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE and the PCSB are my hygiene kits of choice. Which one comes with me depends on length of trip. I ordered and returned the Spiff and Spiff Deluxe.

I have used the PCSB as a packing cube. I use it on a regular basis to carry my scarf, sweater or rain jacket in my daily bag. It is often too big for this purpose, but I like being able to just shove stuff in it. I can put the same items in a 3DOC, but I have to fold and squeeze the air out of them.

The SE and PCSB are both great as sightseeing bags. P.S. all my SEs are dyneema.

The PCSB does get floppy. The main compartment is one big hole.

I have been requesting (on the annual TB Wish List thread) for a version of the PCSB that has pockets inside the main compartment - similar to the inside pockets of the SE. Keep the outside diagonal pocket - it is a nice feature. Also been wishing for a 1-inch shoulder strap to use with the PCSB.

Back to topic: yes, you need both SE and PCSB. Up to you to get both at the same time or one now, the other later. No worries - one day, you will look, and see you got at least one of each. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Also been wishing for a 1-inch shoulder strap to use with the PCSB.
    @Walker, I bought a 1-inch strap based on @Lani's recommendation in this thread: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...der-strap.html

It works great with the Side Effect and the PCSB. When I am carrying a heavier load in the PCSB, I use the OP/Tech Mini SOS strap. It's a smaller version of the Absolute Strap and is amazing.

Also, to help with the general floppiness of the PCSB, I will put my iPad Mini in the outer pocket, or I will use a medium double organizer pouch. Mine is ballistic and it adds a little more structure. The 400d halcyon/dyneema is also thicker which also helps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Pammy - do you know/ have the link where you bought your 1-inch strap? I am off to google, in the meantime.

I do have the OP/Tech Mini SOS to use with my CP. I use a Timbuktu 2-inch strap on my Pilot and MB. I got the strap years ago when the company manufactured them in California. It has a cam to adjust length, the strap itself is shorter than all my collection of shoulder straps.

Thanks.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Responding to my post LOL. Found one on Amazon - guerilla painter $9.58. I will order one. Finally!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @Pammy - do you know/ have the link where you bought your 1-inch strap? I am off to google, in the meantime.
    Thanks.
    PM'd you the info. Embarrassment

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the dyneema/halcyon options are better for the SE as they give it a little more flex although I prefer the ballistic look and colours.

As for the PCSB, I find it just too floppy. I find it close enough in size to just pack a small cafe bag as an alternative (and they come in a bigger range of colour options).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't considered the cafe bags. How flat do they pack?

The bag I have is already the size and shape of a small cafe bag, I think. It's the Osgoode Marley large cross body bag. I like the bag a lot, but I didn't have room to pack it while full.

I'm so tossed between getting something small that just holds the essentials (phone, wallet), vs. something that would hold a light jacket, gloves, hat, etc. if needed.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-07-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm so tossed between getting something small that just holds the essentials (phone, wallet), vs. something that would hold a light jacket, gloves, hat, etc. if needed." get the med cafe bag instead of either se or pcsb. its largeish like the pcsb but its flat when you wear it crossbody. its larger than the marley (dont have one. im going by the comment that you think its the size of a small cafe bag) and is def large enough to take in a jacket and hat and gloves. its kind of roomy but can just hold your phone and wallet. you wouldnt need the se or the pcsb. but here i think the se could be used to organize the cafe bag. i basically use the se as a bag in a bag and carry it in all the bags i use and move between bags.

but you dont need it. so consider just getting the med cafe bag. in halcyon and it can slip and slide into other luggage/backpacks easily.

imho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast