Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tempe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halcyon 400d tough enough?????

Ok guys, here's what I need to know. How tough is Halcyon 400d? I know it's not 1000 denier Cordura to be sure. I have a Goruck Rucker that I've been using for a year, so I'm very familiar with Cordura. The Rucker is an excellent bag too btw for it's intended purposes. It's seriously overbuilt and makes a great bag for carrying around a lot of very heavy hard things, but it hasn't proven to be as good for edc. In carrying my stuff to and fro I'm thinking I really don't need the Cordura, plus I still have the Rucker. It's just in and out of the car and some overnight travel from time to time.

Soooooo, how's your Halcyon holding up? While I won't abuse it, I won't baby it either, just kinda normal use. Oh, and what is the bottom of the Synapse 25 like? Is it any beefier that any other part of the bag?

-kneemus

Alternate between SW Ohio & Michigan's lovely Upper Peninsula
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Co-Pilot in steel Dyneema (now known as Halcyon) that I've used nearly every day for three years, and it shows no signs of wear. I'm not particularly hard on bags (I don't drag them on the ground, for example...), but I don't baby them, either. My Dyneema Co-Pilot takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Halcyon Synapse 19 daily. I ride in the rain with it, and set it down on barroom floors (ew)---it can get a little dingy, but it's held up really well. I'm going on two years with it. The bottom is Halcyon.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my halcyon bags still look brand new. My oldest one is 2 years old and it's gone hiking, to the beach, to work, to Europe, to Canada, urban cities, suburban cities, etc. I think I've washed it three times (twice in the removal of red pepper infused olive oil). I've not re-treated with Nikwax, but the water repellency is still very good. That said, I don't drag it on the ground, but I also do t worry about setting it on the ground or on rocks. The first time I got mud all over the bottom, I freaked out, but it came off very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Dakota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a neat video that demonstrates some of the materials testing the crew has done.

https://vimeo.com/78202693

Forum Member
    Naples, Fla.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the 2 oz. weight differential Halcyon represents over Cordura in the Synapse 25 noticeable? Is there a clear, beneficial reason to choose Halcyon over Codura?

North Dakota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psiddle View Post
    Is the 2 oz. weight differential Halcyon represents over Cordura in the Synapse 25 noticeable? Is there a clear, beneficial reason to choose Halcyon over Codura?
    I really like halcyon because of it being more stretchy so you can fill more nooks and crannies of your bags and have everything fit. The pet hair non-clingy-ness is also a nice benefit to choose halcyon.

I haven't owned any codura items, so I can't really comment on that.