Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Work/EDC Bag

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work/EDC Bag

During the workweek my work bag is pretty much my purse as well...I have to carry it into businesses with me (I never leave anything in the car), and I don't want my bag to be overwhelming. But I do have to carry a bit of stuff with me - 11.5" HP notebook laptop, iPad Pro (not the huge one), wireless Amazon basics keyboard, possibly a wireless mouse, TB pencil pouch (full of pens/pencils, styluses), TB small pouch, TB business card holder, slim wallet....keys, usually a snack of some sort, and I'd love to be able to put my phone in there as well (iPhone 6). Odds and ends (probably a notepad). Oh! And the laptop charger. I do have a sleeve that the iPad fits in, but it also has a rugged case on it.

The deal is that the 11.5" laptop was just assigned to me today (work), and I may only have it for 9 months. So I don't necessarily want to buy a bag just because of it. I don't own a laptop currently...if I do buy one it would likely be a MacBook Air.

I have a Ristretto that I can carry the iPad & keyboard in, and today I crammed the charger in, but I couldn't fit a notepad or the laptop in there (haha). I have an Imago, but it's a floppy bag not really suited to carrying tech. I have a giant Patagonia messenger bag, and I used it last year, my biggest complaint (besides the ubiquitous logo (I only paid $30 for it) is that it was difficult to use when I placed it on the floor next to my desk. The flap was kind of annoying I found, the bag would tip over, and stuff would often spill out.

Important note - I'm a wheelchair user so backpacks aren't great for me - I tend to just carry my bag on my lap. If there's a shoulder strap I often wear it for security (theft & slipping off). I have a long, flat lap, so I can hold a pretty big bag (an Aeronaut is my usual travel bag).

I appreciate any advice!
    Last edited by jgrant27; 08-29-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Pilot? Or, if a flap isn't a total deal-breaker, a Maker's Bag?

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I'll check those out. Might have to go see them in person! The flap isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but I know that flap bags tender to be floppier. But I don't want overly rigid, either (Goldilocks).
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't actually have one, but I believe the Maker's Bag in ballistic is specifically made to stand up pretty well, with the added piping. Bags made of Cordura (like a Cafe Bag) or Halcyon are much floppier.

Nice that you can go see them in the flesh! I went once a couple of years ago and it was pretty fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't carry my 13" MBP every day, but find it, the cache and various accessories (tech and purse items) fit well in my ballistic Maker's Bag. It definitely stands more upright than an Imago (my favorite bag and the one I reach for most often!) and seems to carry just as much as the slightly larger Imago. I think that's because of the functional depth and good internal organizational pockets of the Maker's Bag.

MA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were able to go to the showroom like you I would bring my merry band of EDC items to the mothership and try out several of the bags (I bet they have them all).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just was able to put 2 half inch binders, an empty egg carton, side effect, and water bottle in the main section of my maker's bag. The addition of my MacBook Air fits, but makes it really tight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, go to the Mothership!! And then take lots of pictures, especially of the super-secret Coming Soon stuff! Smilie

(coughcough) Ah yes, EDC bag. I've not tried it, but one fellow where I work out had an Empire Builder. It held all his business stuff and his workout gear besides (a bulky martial arts uniform). Another friend saw it and admired it for all that it held while staying sleek. Something to consider, perhaps, if the Maker's Bag doesn't hold enough for your needs...