Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empire Builder / Cache

I was a bit disappointed that the Empire Builder i bought doesn't have the loops for the cache system. Has anyone modified their bag to include these loops?

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I recall, the current Empire Builder (EB) should have the rail loops to use the Cache with Rails system.

Though it does not say it on the EB web page, the Cache web page references it:

“The Cache is a protective laptop or tablet sleeve that's available in many sizes. It's designed to protect your laptop or iPad against scrapes and scratches and can be used on its own inside of any bag or clipped securely inside of our Cadet and Empire Builder briefcases, Synapse 25, Synapse 19, Brain Bag and Smart Alec backpacks and Tri-Star and Pilot travel bags, transforming them into checkpoint-friendly laptop bags.”

I have also seen a post in the past asking about this and some pictures showing it. I cannot find it right now but I will post a link to it if I do.

If you have an older EB (~Spring 2014 or earlier), the Rail Loops may not have been implemented yet. However, you can retrofit fairly easily. See the link below:

Empire Builder Horizontal Cache Quick Question

I think @Perseffect’s solution is one of the easiest and most elegant. You can actually use the Gatekeeper Rail Clips that you would normally use with the cache instead of the single Gatekeeper Rail Clips shown by @Perseffect.

Gatekeeper Rail Clips - if you need them (can order together with the cache)

You could also just sew two webbing loops onto the thick seam at the top of the bag – 2 webbing loops about 7-8” apart (same distance as the Cache Rails).

But, if you have a recent EB, double check if you have the rail loops. I recall that they may be hard to see. Of course, a call to TB Customer Service will confirm things as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 09-07-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

My Empire Builder is probably an old version--I picked it up on ebay. The velco is an interesting idea. I'll weight that against trying to sew in some loops where I'm guessing they would go (based on where they are on my Brain Bag).

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct as where I sew the loops. I sewed my loops under the seam "cover" for lack of a better word (I am not a sewing person so I do not know the correct terminology). I did NOT sew into the Dyneema fabric on the inner walls.

Here is is a picture of how I added loops to by Western Flyer:

Easiest way is to use the Velcro (TB sells Strapeze or you may be able to find something similar are a hardware or office supply store) IMHO.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!