Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPhone 7 Plus and the Side Effect

I have an iPhone 7 Plus on order (due to arrive in early November), but I'm toying with the idea of canceling that order and getting a 7. I'm upgrading from the iPhone 5s, so that's a pretty big jump to the Plus size.

One of my biggest concerns is the portability of the phone. Right now, I keep my 5s in the exterior zipper pocket of the Side Effect. Does anyone have experience with carrying an iPhone 7 Plus (or other iPhone Plus) in that same pocket? Or does it have to go inside the main compartment?
    kindness is contagious.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my 6+ and can keep it in the exterior pocket of my Halcyon SE if I haven't overstuffed it.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I have an iPhone 7 Plus on order (due to arrive in early November), but I'm toying with the idea of canceling that order and getting a 7. I'm upgrading from the iPhone 5s, so that's a pretty big jump to the Plus size.

One of my biggest concerns is the portability of the phone. Right now, I keep my 5s in the exterior zipper pocket of the Side Effect. Does anyone have experience with carrying an iPhone 7 Plus (or other iPhone Plus) in that same pocket? Or does it have to go inside the main compartment?
    @bermudajes,

Here's @kkintea's picture of the iPhone 6 Plus (same size as your iPhone 7 Plus) in the front pocket of the Side Effect:

There have been a few threads about this lately. I'll point you to my posts in the RFID Passport Pouch, iPhone 7 plus thread for links to more posts with pictures of where you can carry your iPhone 7 Plus. (Sorry, I didn't actually cut and paste all the actual images into that thread).

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 6S plus. I don't think carrying it IN a bag has ever been an issue for me. All the TB organizers, including the Side Effect, work pretty well. As in the picture above, mine will fit in the front pocket of a SE (even though I keep it in a large Speck case).

It's mostly when I'm walking around at work or home that I'm more inclined to leave it on my desk, where I might have formerly slipped a smaller phone into my pocket. I think this is a compromise, and I do miss the more portable size. However, the huge readable screen makes my commutes more productive, so for me, that's the trade-off that makes it worthwhile. I can learn languages, read books*, email and text, and navigate much more easily.

You've probably already done this, but I'd go into an Apple store and play around with the apps you usually use to decide which size works best for you.

* If you are reading in bed when you're tired, and staring up at the phone, it's possible to let it slip and have it bonk you on the nose. This is one instance where lighter = better. Not that I'd know this from personal experience.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 09-20-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know that the SE holds a 7+ easily. This may be what finally pushes me to get a Side Effect - I went from a 6S to a 7+, and while it's comfortable enough walking around in a pants pocket, my phone has finally reached the point where I would prefer to stash it somewhere else if I'm going to be sitting on a plane for hours. On the plus side - um, no pun intended - I think the screen is big enough that I can leave the iPad mini behind and hand this over if our kiddo gets super duper fussy when we're flying.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

@moriond, thanks for linking the recent post. It sent me down a TB Forum rabbit hole; the wealth of knowledge already in these forums never ceases to amaze me.

@bchaplin, I've gone into the Apple Store three times this week to play with the phone! I've come to the conclusion that I just need to try it out for a week or two and see how it functions in my real life. I can always swap it out for the 7 if I hate it, but that probably won't be the case. It really is a matter of portability vs functionality (camera! and battery life).

Fortunately, if I'm too tired to hold up my phone in bed, I just opt for an audiobook and avoid the possibility of the phone-falling-on-face scenario all together ;-)
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    * If you are reading in bed when you're tired, and staring up at the phone, it's possible to let it slip and have it bonk you on the nose. This is one instance where lighter = better. Not that I'd know this from personal experience.
    lol, I've done this with a regular iPad in a heavy case... twice! ouch