Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparision of maximum sized carry ons.

I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison of storage space between a wheeled carry on and a TB bag?

I've resisted getting an A45, because I don't think I can carry that much weight in one bag.
    I know the outside dimensions are the max carry on size for several airlines.
    But I do have an A30 and WF, and each bag is about the limit of what I can easily carry across an airport, and these are both smaller than the max size.

I have a Briggs & Riley Torq with the front panel, which looks glorious, and glides smoothly.
    But it is ridiculously tiny inside, and the front panel is a good idea that just doesn't work.
    It's supposed to be easy access to a computer, but it takes up too much room in the interior of the hardsided bag.
    I also have the slightly bigger Torq international carry on, which they discontinued because it's one inch too big to carry on now.
    And I have the Torq medium spinner, which is equivalent to what I used to think of as a small suitcase. It has to be checked.

Has anyone tried comparing what you can stuff in a TB bag vs. a hardsided carry on spinner or rollaboard?

I'm sure the TB will hold more just because there is almost no outside stuff like wheels, etc., and the TB will give more being soft.

But exactly how much more?

Has anyone tried this who can report in?

I'm really thinking about selling the smaller Torqs.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is the quantitative s analysis you asked for, but the one bag website by Doug Dyment attempts to convince what many Tom Bihn owners know. He also suggests a separate folding wheel cart if you can't carry your one bag.

I also used a B&R for years until AA made me check my Baseline international wide roll a board in PHL. The baseline is easier to pack than most rollers because the handle extensions are on the outside. Even so, I haven't thought about using it since I got the A30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no quantitative analysis, but I used to have a travel pro 20" wheel-aboard and it seemed to hold nothing - 2 suits max. Now I can travel with 4 suits and all the trimmings and have plenty of room to spare with an A45 and WF. I'm actually going to pick up an A30 because the A45 really is too big for my normal use ... ideally I'd like to carry-on the WF and A30.

Anyway, I'm not helping here, but just to say that, for me, two bag carry-only is the way to go. In the airport last Monday I came up behind this huge group that piled in before me and started jamming up in front of the escalator to security ... I just flew right up the stairs and past the entire line of them.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often carry a Pelican 1510 rolling case which is a hard sided waterproof box of exact Maximum carry on dimensions essentially.
    I use it to carry tools mostly and though it is carry on sized I can not carry it on with tools.

I can stuff the tools from it into my Tri Star AND carry enough other stuff for a few days too if I need to but then of course I can not fly and carry the T.S. on because of the tools.
    The T.S is smaller than that size usually but can easily grow to be bigger and much to heavy to carry and I have carried it like that often as well.
    You can easily get,more into a soft sided bag than any hard sided of the same size.

I also have a GoRuck GR2 and a Maxpedition Max Carry On bag and beleive me they each hold hella more than the Pelican can or that of any other rolling max sized bag that I have or have tried.
    Maybe this makes little sense somehow but it is a reality too?

I can easily picture getting an A45 too big to carry which I don't need to worry about just yet as I have resisted getting one so far!

If I get the urge I might unpack the Pelican and take pics but I also might not,sorry.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A soft sided non-wheeled bag will almost always carry more than a wheeled bag. How much more depends on the type of material used, design, etc. A bag with lots of pockets will hold less than a bag with few pockets. It's also easier to waste space in a wheeled bag--like the area between the telescoping handles--than it is is a soft-sided, non-wheeled bag. And.....a two wheeled rolling bag will hold more than a four wheel spinner.

The two big questions are:

If you stuff your non-wheeled bag, will you still be able to carry it comfortably? (You seemed to be concerned about this in your post. Why not overstuff you A30 with heavier items and try carrying it for awhile.)

Instead of thinking how much you can stuff into a bag, why not look at your packing list and decide what you can do without. Lightening the load, whether it be wheels or no wheels, makes for an easier trip.

I leave in less than a week for another 2+ month trip. Today is test pack day. I've made a lot of modifications to my packing list since my last long trip three months ago. I will see if I save room and weight.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    A soft sided non-wheeled bag will almost always carry more than a wheeled bag. How much more depends on the type of material used, design, etc. A bag with lots of pockets will hold less than a bag with few pockets. It's also easier to waste space in a wheeled bag--like the area between the telescoping handles--than it is is a soft-sided, non-wheeled bag. And.....a two wheeled rolling bag will hold more than a four wheel spinner.

The two big questions are:

If you stuff your non-wheeled bag, will you still be able to carry it comfortably? (You seemed to be concerned about this in your post. Why not overstuff you A30 with heavier items and try carrying it for awhile.)

Instead of thinking how much you can stuff into a bag, why not look at your packing list and decide what you can do without. Lightening the load, whether it be wheels or no wheels, makes for an easier trip.

I leave in less than a week for another 2+ month trip. Today is test pack day. I've made a lot of modifications to my packing list since my last long trip three months ago. I will see if I save room and weight.
    Would love to see this packing list. I've often thought the list tops out at a week and you just do laundry, but I have no actual experience with that.

For lightweight backpackers I've heard the list stops at 3 days, then you are just adding food and fuel.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clothes take up the most space in luggage. I take, including what I'm wearing, 5 shirts, 3 pants, 5 socks and undies, 2 sweaters (it will be chilly traveling in northern Europe in Fall), a jacket, athletic shorts (to sleep in or just relax in my hotel room), and one pair of shoes (that I'm wearing.) I do laundry every few days. Not a big deal. I also take a few disposable shoe inserts and change them out about once a month. This helps to keep odor and moisture away and adds an extra smidgen of cushioning.

As for toiletries, I take what I need. Prescription meds go into ziploc bags. (I have the pharmacy print out the labels and put those in as well in case I get stopped by Customs.) I used to take the original bottles but that took up too much room and added weight. Non prescription items go into small vials I got at the Container Store. Enough to get me going as I can always buy more if needed.

Two Eagle Creek Quarter Packing cubes carry all of my electronics except for my Ipad Mini and mobile phone.

I will use a couple of sets of Coughlans Mesh Ditty Bags to fill the space between the telescoping handle compartments inside the bag as well as on either side of them. This area is good for those small items that might fly around if not in a container or for socks and underwear.

I'm also a big believer in using packing cubes and folders. They help to keep me organized. And it seems I pack better when I'm organized. (In the rest of my life I'm completely unorganized but when it comes to packing........)

Due to back issues, including pulling a muscle in my lower back last week, I'll be using a wheeled bag for this trip and a messenger bag as a personal item. All carry on size.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! I'm actually a very good minimalistic packer. I just haven't done a scientific study of how different my bags are. I really need to get them out and do a test pack and compare and report back. I was just curious if anyone who used to travel with rolling luggage and switched to TB had any revelations on their packing when switching. I just know that I bought the expensive B&R bags, and while they look beautiful and roll great, I'm very disappointed in how much they can hold.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    Would love to see this packing list. I've often thought the list tops out at a week and you just do laundry
    This is pretty much what I do (although suits don't fall into this obviously) - For business, I've started staying in Hyatt Houses over fancy hotels - HHs are great because even the studios have kitchenettes and the properties have full, nice, laundry rooms. I like to do my own shopping and cooking vs eating out so the HH rooms are ideal for me.

On personal trips, we've stayed in 5 star european hotels and done laundry in-room. 2 years ago we had a suite in Paris with its own steam shower ... and I hung laundry in there Big Grin after using it of course. I'm looking to buy a Scrubba wash bag and elastic clothes line for our next trip - just eliminates the hassle of trying to find a laundromat and I can't stomach paying to have it done. I passed the need to be fancy 10 years ago Cool

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparision of maximum sized carry ons.

The one thing I liked about my B&R baseline was the hanging clothes compartment on the lid. I could put 3-4 shirts on hangers and a t-shirt under the Velcrod strap where you folded the bottoms up. Then I would put two pair of slacks on the zippered pocket that closed off that section from the main part of suitcase. That was all my work clothes, except undies and socks, and the shirts went straight to the closet at my destination.

Now I put the slacks in the bottom of the A30, with one end unzipped, and the shirts in a large A30 PC. It's more efficient packing, but takes longer to pack and unpack and not all hotel rooms have all the hangers I want in the closet.

Still, I was forced to check my B&R international wide roll-a-board once and that was once too many times. I'm confident That won't happen with the A30.

If my experience changing from the B&R (total linear 45") bag is typical, you can put what you need in an A30, that is 15L, or 33% smaller that the max sized A45.

FWIW...i debated the A30 vs S25 or TriStar. I decided the A30 was big enough and would be more flexible to pack and less prone to budge than the TS. I thought the A45 might be too heavy if fully packed. (I have a max sized MEI Executive Overnighter that can be too heavy as a shoulder bag). I've regrets with the A30 so far with 2 international week long trips completed successfully.

Last edited by slbear; 10-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing I liked about my B&R baseline was the hanging clothes compartment on the lid. I could put 3-4 shirts on hangers and a t-shirt under the Velcrod strap where you folded the bottoms up. Then I would put two pair of slacks on the zippered pocket that closed off that section from the main part of suitcase. That was all my work clothes, except undies and socks, and the shirts went straight to the closet at my destination.

Now I put the slacks in the bottom of the A30, with one end unzipped, and the shirts in a large A30 PC. It's more efficient packing, but takes longer to pack and unpack and not all hotel rooms have all the hangers I want in the closet.

Still, I was forced to check my B&R international wide roll-a-board once and that was once too many times. I'm confident That won't happen with the A30.

If my experience changing from the B&R (total linear 45") bag is typical, you can put what you need in an A30, that is 15L, or 33% smaller that the max sized A45.

FWIW...i debated the A30 vs S25 or TriStar. I decided the A30 was big enough and would be more flexible to pack and less prone to budge than the TS. I thought the A45 might be too heavy if fully packed. (I have a max sized MEI Executive Overnighter that can be too heavy as a shoulder bag). I've regrets with the A30 so far with 2 international week long trips completed successfully.

I keep re-reading this post trying to understand what you are saying?

Did you mean to say "Bulge" and not "Budge" and did you have regrets as you say or did you mean to say you had NO regrets?

Or am I just going Crazy and can't understand things anymore?

Or BOTH!?!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling Autocorrect was SLBEAR's enemy. I was confused by those two sentences, too.

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitten by my iPhone again. I worry the Tri-Star would bulge, and NO REGRETS with the A30. Hopefully I was otherwise coherent.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitten by my iPhone again. I worry the Tri-Star would bulge, and NO REGRETS with the A30. Hopefully I was otherwise coherent.

Whew!
    Thats a relief not that I am anyone to judge you as i peck this out on my iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can pack for a two- or three-day trip (plus travel days) in my Aeronaut 30, including three or four dress shirts, a suit, and dress shoes, with minimal "change-into" clothing for the off hours. I'm a "bundler" and it works well in the A30, opening one of the two internal zips.

I can pack for a "forever" business trip into my Aeronaut 45, if I had to, but I don't because:
    * It gets heavy, even with the backpack-style straps
    * The A45 can be too large for European carry-on policies

I find the "packability" of my Briggs & Riley wheeled carry-on, Transcend series, US size, from about 10 years ago to be "better" than the A45. As others have pointed out, the firm sides let you cram things into it in a way that you can't on a soft-side bag. The expandability and check-ability of the bag are an advantage for me for long-term travel.

One of the endearing things about the A30 is that it can hold the "Oh *%$%^, they lost my checked bag!" essentials and that the backpack style makes it a lot easier to deal with than a heavier, wheeled bag when navigating public transportation. (The Tube in London is far from ADA accessible!)

I definitely prefer the Aeronauts over the Red Oxx AirBoss I have because:
    * I am a bundle packer and the three, flat compartments don't work well for me (this would be the same with the TB TriStar, as I understand the bag)
    * It has the backpack straps, which work out better with two bags and a laptop bag and a shoulder bag (love my TB Cafe bag)
    * It is lighter

Definitely not dissing the Red Oxx as it is basically bulletproof in its construction and I have no hesitation checking it. I still haven't been willing to part with it.

I have full-Dyneema Aeronauts that I'd never check, but carry a lightweight, nylon duffle on extended trips if I need to check something. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to work with Tyvek and make a folds-to-nothing protector for it.

I love both bags, but if I could only have one, it would be a Dyneema Aeronaut 30 because of the European size requirements and its light weight.

Jeff