Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot/Café Bag v. Makers Bag

Ok, I own a Pilot which serves as my primary EDC bag. I also own large and medium size Café Bags which I also frequently use when I want something a little more casual. I love the organization of the pilot and I suppose it works well most of the time, but occasionally I feel a more open bag would work better. So, enter the Café Bag which has the large open space, but then it has very little organization. Even with pouches and key straps stuff just seems to end up all on the bottom and the bag looks like a basketball.

So, I am wondering if those who have switched from a Café Bag to the Makers Bag feel like it was an improvement or just a different take on basically the same bag. The price isn’t prohibitive for me, but since I already own three Café Bags I don’t want to order something that is essentially the same bag.

eastern Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a nordic halcyon LCB with a Freudian Slip and I love this combination. It is my current EDC The FS is a valuable addition to the LCB because of the organization it provides. I also own a Makers Bag, but I don't use it as often as I use the LCB. I don't think the MB is an improvement over the LCB with the FS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the suggestion of trying a FS I a cafe bag. I have been pretty consistently EDCimg my MCB with FS and it hits all my organizational OCD buttons.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to disagree with the others but I find the Freudian slips slightly disappointing in the cafe bags and makers bag. They do fill the space nicely and keep the shape very well, but they do eat a lot of the internal space. Too much for me to use them more than on occasion.

But your original questions was around the makers bag being a bigger cafe bag. My view is yes it is albeit in different materials and with a lot more internal storage pockets. For me it's a take on the same bag with some interesting improvements (and some disadvantages such as no open rear pocket).

It's a good bag, but not radically different in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a matter of degree, not kind. The MB is basically a horizontally-oriented cafe bag with many elastic pockets on the inside. It's the same family of bag, but for some, that represents a huge "improvement" because the more square-shaped LCB can make it hard to find things in due to the vertical orientation and lack of elastic pockets along the wall.

The MB for me, even without the FS, is a far better bag for my purposes. I really like the aforementioned additional features as well as the interior zipped pocket along the back wall. I never keep papers outside my bag and have always wanted an interior zip pocket like the one in the MB. But the LCB is a more aesthetic bag, IMO, and my preference is cordura for flap-type messenger bags, so my Steel/Deep Blue LCB gets a breath of fresh air every once in a while.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-10-2016 at 06:19 AM.