Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite water bottle in a Pilot??

All,

I'm surprised I didn't find any threads on this already! What is everyone's favorite water bottle to use in a Pilot? What do you use it for? Insulated mug for morning coffee or iced tea? Big cheap Nalgene bottle to schlep simple water to work?

I found that a 32 oz Nalgene bottle works, as does a 20 oz Kleen Kanteen. They both look great. Can't decide which to keep. I can't really justify keeping the Kleen Kanteen, which looks beautiful, as I already have an identical size "stainless" steel insulated Thermos. I also have a noninsulated plastic Thermos.

I'm leaning towards keeping the Nalgene bottle as I can easily drink 10 oz of water in a few gulps, and would probably like the larger bottle.

What does everyone else use???

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the pilot. Opted for the S25 when deciding between pilot and cadet. Does that make sense?. If someone would loan me a pilot I could answer this better, since I've been a collector of these before I collected Tom Bihn.

I can tell you the S25 fits a huge bottle, and I like the Nalgenes, but with some sort of cap with a smaller drinking spout. I have some 24 oz Nalgenes (or camelbacks) that get used more often than 32 oz bottles.

When traveling overseas I'm more likely to pickup a bottle at the airport, and a smartwater .75L is my current favorite for the drinking spout.

I just got a Zojirushi 16 and 12 oz insulated bottle with a lockable flip top. I know others here have them because I've seen them in photos. 12 oz for coffee, and 16oz for water. The 20oz would fit in the S25, but I'm not sure about the pilot. They are all available on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Pilot, but… I've been using a Thermos Intak water bottle for quite some time.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 20oz. insulated Kleen Kanteen in my Pilot and it works very well. I basically just carry water in it, but I like it to stay cold. My employer offers a filtered water dispenser, so I can refill the bottle as needed.

MA USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've become a big fan of Hydroflask which I believe you could fit their 40 oz in the Pilot

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, basically any 20oz bottle fits: Klean Kanteen, Ello, Contigo, Zoji, etc. The 40oz will fit width-wise but might stick out of the top a little, i.e., the zipper won't fully zip.

Toronto, ON Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 16oz Zojirushi bottle for my water in the middle pocket and an 11oz Zojirushi for my Tea in one of the side pockets. Don't you love all those pockets in the Pilot. It's my perfect work briefcase.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great bag ... what still annoys me is that the liner of the waterbottle/umbrella pocket is mesh while the rest of the bag is halcyon ... meaning water can leak from the pocket specifically designed for wet stuff into your other pockets which may have paper or electronics in there (yes there are drain holes but it's like having a mesh rain coat that's open at the bottom).

I've never emailed about it since I don't live in a humid area, but seems a bizarre design choice.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    I've become a big fan of Hydroflask which I believe you could fit their 40 oz in the Pilot
    @Muni_Jedi and others, for more discussion and specific pictures of the Hydroflask 40 oz model not fitting in the Pilot water bottle pocket, see the Hydroflask 40 in a Pilot? thread. I'll excerpt @Proctor's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    Lifefactory 22oz = PERFECT (like a glove)
    Hydroflask 21oz = YES
    Hydroflask 40oz = NO

As always, this is only an excerpt;read the linked thread for more content.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Pilot, but I seem to recall someone else here using a stuff sack as a way to catch any potential leaks. There might be some slow seepage around the seams, but I have definitely spilled water in the main Dyneema (Halcyon) compartment of my Synapse and it kept all the liquid in that pocket (none of the other compartments were wet).

Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    It's great bag ... what still annoys me is that the liner of the waterbottle/umbrella pocket is mesh while the rest of the bag is halcyon ... meaning water can leak from the pocket specifically designed for wet stuff into your other pockets which may have paper or electronics in there (yes there are drain holes but it's like having a mesh rain coat that's open at the bottom).

I've never emailed about it since I don't live in a humid area, but seems a bizarre design choice.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I don't have a Pilot, but I seem to recall someone else here using a stuff sack as a way to catch any potential leaks.
    Yeah, that's a good work-around idea ... I guess I keep thinking, though, why are we coming up with work-arounds for a pocket specifically designed to hold wet things?

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moriond,

Interesting link. I tried a Kleen Kanteen non-insulated 40 oz today. The zipper will not close entirely, but it's close. Close enough that I am going to try it. I mostly need something just to bring to work and then set at my desk.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being contentious here, just responding... I guess I don't think of my bags (TB or otherwise) as primarily water-proofing devices. Water-repellent is good, to keep off rain, but unless it's a dry bag, I am relying on the mug or bottle itself (and my diligence in keeping it tightly sealed) to hold the liquid apart from my belongings.

Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Yeah, that's a good work-around idea ... I guess I keep thinking, though, why are we coming up with work-arounds for a pocket specifically designed to hold wet things?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After many many experiments, I've settled on the Kleen Kanteen 27, wide. https://www.kleankanteen.com/collect...iant=860251119

This is my go everywhere canteen. It's wide mouth is perfect for ice cubes. The cap is low profile so you can zip up the pilot's pocket and nothing sticks out.

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my Pilot I carry either the nalgene 24oz on the fly bottle, or the camelbak eddy 32oz with classic top (screw on, not the straw that comes with). Both fit perfectly and work great in the Pilot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast