Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 15" MacBook Pro (TouchBar) and Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, or Maker's Bag

Now that the new 15" rMBP has a slightly smaller footprint (Width: 13.75 in; Depth: 9.48 in;
    Height: 0.61 in), does anyone have any idea if it fits any of these bags more properly? The rMBPs aren't shipping yet, so of course it would be just going on the listed dimensions.

I'm not sure if the old rMBP ever fit at all in the Daylight but I believe I've read it could fit in the other two bags, but just barely, and not well.

I've got one on order, and so of course I'm pondering a new bag for it. 😺

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cronus,

I cannot speak highly enough of the Pilot. I use the Dyneema fabric and this thing is a rock star. The absolute perfect travelling bag. The main section of the bag is very cavernous as you can see from this photo. That's carrying a MacBook Air 13, iPad Pro 12.9" and a MacBook 12" in there with plenty of room depth-wise.

New 15" MacBook Pro (TouchBar) and Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, or Maker's Bag-img_8452-1-jpg

According to Apple, the new 15" Pro is 13.75"wide (34.93cm) and the 13" Air is 12.8" wide (32.5cm). You can see from the photo below that there's about 3.5cm at the side of the 13" Air. So you'd have around half an inch clearance. Will just depend on what case/cache you carry it in.

New 15" MacBook Pro (TouchBar) and Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, or Maker's Bag-img_5770-jpg

Cheers,
    Makak

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics! In this thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...+maker%27s+bag), Darcy says, "The 15" MBPr will squeeze into the Pilot, but in our opinion it puts too much pressure on the corners of the bag/its zippers which could result in premature wear and tear on the zippers, resulting in their needed replacement". I'm crossing my fingers the reduced footprint of the new 15" rMBP might make that statement less true! 🖖

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious how you went with this Cronus. The 15" in the Pilot

Maine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from a 13" rMBP (w/Bihn Pilot & cache) to a 2016 15" MBP, and have the new Bihn Horizontal Cache on order; should be able to report back by Monday.

Here's to hoping I won't need a whole new bag! Without a cache it does seem like there's adequate room to fit the 15" 2016 Pro in the Pilot, but it's certainly not protected at all just yet.

Maine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can now confirm that the 2016 15" MacBook Pro—cushioned by the TB 'Horizontal New 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2016' Cache—snugly fits inside the Pilot.

Unfortunately it does seem to be too tight a fit to protect the 15" MBP as effectively as the Pilot protects the 13" MBP. Additionally, the friction created by the larger computer & Cache renders the rail system tedious to operate, and opening & closing the bag entails unavoidably rubbing the YKK zippers along the top corners of the Cache, which as Darcy & Cronus pointed out will probably result in premature wear to at least the Cache, if not the bag's closing mechanism.

So I think the verdict is that Tom Bihn should make a just a little bit bigger iteration of the Pilot. Embarrassment

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, it sounds like you have 3 options:

1) Upsize from the pilot to a bigger bag.
    2) Downsize the MBP to a smaller model.
    3) Go sans-Cache and be unprotected (or maybe less protected with a thinner, less protection neoprene sleeve).

While option 3 is probably the cheapest, I'm sure the majority of folks here will advocate option 1. After all, that's the choice that lets you get even more cool TB gear. Smilie

Maine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    3) Go sans-Cache and be unprotected (or maybe less protected with a thinner, less protection neoprene sleeve).
    To clarify, the TB 2016 MBP 15" Cache does fit in the Pilot, and I'd highly recommend using it over going sans a Cache.

I've been daily driving this setup for a few days now, and the cache seems to have broken-in to the point where it's now possible to close the bag without rubbing the zippers against the cache. Again I can't say that my 15" MBP w/cache feels as safe as my 13" w/cache did in the Pilot, but I'm beginning to trust that it's safe enough for commuting, etc., as long as the bag isn't being tossed about recklessly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to fit my 15" MBPTB in a DLBC and it does not fit. I was unable to zip the bag closed. I ended up getting the Founder's Briefcase, my MBP fits perfectly inside, and I really enjoying carrying the bag.

Forum Member
    Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! You've pushed me off the ledge of indecision ... from which I've landed squarely on a Black Halcyon/Wasabi Pilot w/horizontal 15" MBPTB cache. This, after months of pondering the Cadet and S25 for the 15" carry. Neither of which really spoke to my heart ... the Cadet IMO lacking in inspiring color choices and the S25 seeming redundant of a recently acquired and rarely used S19). We may be kicking ourselves if our caches or zips fail us. But, c'est la vie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CymbalClapping and Caldenjacobs: How have the 15 MBPTB's fared in your pilots with the cache ? Almost coming up to a year of use with your set up...did the set up work for you both during the year? (how did the cache do with the zipping / friction fare with these laptops in the Pilots?

Forum Member
    Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, time flies. To be honest, there haven’t been more than a dozen or so occasions for which I really felt compelled to carry the MBPTB.

Which is sorta disappointing. I had visions of being out and about and always having the laptop handy. Maybe pop into a coffee shop to do some work. But it turns out that it just makes the load a lot heavier. So it mostly stays at home.

I did convince myself that I needed the S25. Redundancy be damned! And am now especially happy that I got the S25 in the Original Halcyon/Iberian; because it’s apparently being phased out, right? Which seems like a real shame, because it really does make me smile every time that I look at it. Even if it’s just hanging in my closet.

Anyway, about half of the time when the MBPTB does go with me, I choose the S25 because it seems to be easier on my old lady shoulders.

Naturally, the Pilot, its zips, and the cache are in good shape. Pretty pristine actually. But that’s mostly because I am a lazy bag-glutton. I’m interested to hear how Caldenjacobs made out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own both a 15 inch MacBook Pro mid 2015 and a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2018. The 2015er model fits too tightly into the Pilot with a cache (without a cache, it's fine though). The 2018er model, however, also fits nicely with a cache (I have the old cache for the 2015er model and not plan to upgrade, because I find the cache that is recommended for the exact size usually fits too tightly and the laptop will no longer slide in and out smoothly but requires additional fiddling).

Here is a picture of the 15 inch 2018er model inside a 2015er cache inside the Pilot: New 15" MacBook Pro (TouchBar) and Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, or Maker's Bag-img_1459-jpg

While it fits nicely, it takes the whole width of the bag though, which is worth considering. I had a 2018er MacBook Air (before I went to the 2018er 15 inch MacBook pro) and would say that it feels better having the Air in the back because it does not occupy the whole width. However, I find a 13 inch display too small to work comfortably (even on the go, because it makes me bend my neck too much, and my long-term neck health is more important to me than say carrying ~500 extra grams; I am 6")

I also want to mention that the 15 inch 2018er model glides in and out smoothly (but requires using 2 hands, or holding the bag with your feed so it doesn't move up when removing the laptop). I attached a video below to demonstrate this:

https://streamable.com/kre70

I should say that I also own the cadet (which I used for the 2015er MacBook pro) but I prefer the Pilot, because if you have anything larger than the 13 inch in the Cadet, you cannot carry a water bottle (putting the water bottle horizotally in the front compartment bulges the bag too much in my opinion and doesn't feel right -- to stay hydrated throughout a day, I think it's a good idea to always have some water with you).

Some final opinion: The 2018er model fits great into the pilot, it's not too tight, and there is no wasted space. However, having a 13 inch in there feels better. I am okay with the tradeoff though, since it allows me to use a healthy screen size (regarding eye-fatigue and neck strain) plus allows me to carry a water bottle)

Hope this helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Some final opinion: The 2018er model fits great into the pilot, it's not too tight, and there is no wasted space. However, having a 13 inch in there feels better. I am okay with the tradeoff though, since it allows me to use a healthy screen size (regarding eye-fatigue and neck strain) plus allows me to carry a water bottle)

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the great write up @res and welcome to the Forums!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...