Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ManBag question is a personal one, but also quite fun. Even the bag below, The Man Bag Dammit by NutSac, is still not something I would feel comfy with. Call me insecure.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    The ManBag question is a personal one, but also quite fun. Even the bag below, The Man Bag Dammit by NutSac, is still not something I would feel comfy with. Call me insecure.

What kind of marketing wizard names a bag "Nutsac"? I would go for Badger's Dyed pink with Beebs buttons over a bag called the "Nutsac".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Enjoy the Side Kick. This morning, I saw the new page and thought "Looks awesome. Just what I need sometimes. But I wouldn't carry it." I want updates about successful man-carrying so I can talk myself into it when my bag-buying ban lapses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1234 View Post
    Hi, I had all but decided on the small cafe bag in gray to use as a "man bag" but now I'm wondering if the new Sidekick might make a better choice.
    To my eye, the Sidekick is a purse; this is the picture they put in their email:
    Compare that to this SCB photo.

See also: Is the Cafe Bag too feminine?

(or maaaayyybeee I could see going co-pilot)
    I was thinking about a Co-Pilot, but now I want to try a Side Kick (and Mini Yeoman). I'm not certain about it's size, but I think I could adapt if I wanted to. Regardless, I wouldn't have any issues with carrying it.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Compare that to this SCB photo
    I have

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    I was thinking about a Co-Pilot, but now I want to try a Side Kick (and Mini Yeoman). I'm not certain about it's size, but I think I could adapt if I wanted to. Regardless, I wouldn't have any issues with carrying it.
    I definitely am going to get a mini yeoman ... if they pockets and some organization it would be the (almost) PERFECT carry-on bag. Perfection would be to have tuck-away backpack straps, then it'd be perfect. boy, if they made both the small and mini with pockets, organization, and hide-away straps I'd buy 5 each and one mini would DEFINITELY be my man bag ... plenty of room in there for my sawed-off shotgun and stetson.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 11-28-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I had all but decided on the small cafe bag in gray to use as a "man bag" but now I'm wondering if the new Sidekick might make a better choice.
    Bryan
    Bryan

If it helps, here are a few picture of the Side Kick being used Cross-Body. It was quite comfortable. I tried a 1", 1.5" and 2" strap. The wider the strap, the more comfortable it was. All straps were connected to the loops at the side of the SK using gatekeeper clips except for the last one (2" strap) - you could use either the loops or the standard clip shoulder strap. I just like using the gatekeeper clips:

1" strap (Field Journal Shoulder Strap):
    Man bag choice help please-tbsidekick_1strap-jpg

1.5" strap (TB Absolute Shoulder Strap):
    Man bag choice help please-tbsidekick_1-5strap-jpg

2" strap (Mission Workshop Messenger Bag Strap)
    Man bag choice help please-tbsidekick_2strap-jpg

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey this Nutsac bag seems to be of similar design and about the same size as the Sidekick. $79 vs $65.

Anyone had the opportunity to compare them in person?

And getting back to the small cafe bag for a moment, I was interested in the grey color but it no longer seems to be available in that color option. Oh well....
    Last edited by Bryan1234; 11-29-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not compared that particular bag in person but I have seen reviews and I would say, IMHO, the main differences (applies to other similar bags as well that I have seen) are:

1) Materials - TB uses tougher materials - 1050d Ballistic Nylon is one of them. Halcyon is the other - whose "square grid of 400 denier UHMWPE (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) is one of the strongest fibers known to man, and is almost impossible to tear." Note you get 2 grids of this material - the interior and exterior

2) Organization - the Side Kick has 9 pockets - some double layered. If that were not enough, there are 5 O-Rings to attach things securely and 2 of the pockets are dedicated for pens / tools like flashlights / screw drivers (I am a techie at heart). Also, the Halcyon version is very collapsible and can fit in another bag easily to be used as emergency organization.

3) Style - TB has a version that is more Tech / Urban Style with its Halcyon fabric while most of the other non-TB items are more the waxed canvas / leather style. Choice is good either way!

There are also other differences such as size (Side Kick is taller in most cases), carry options (Side Kick can be carried over the shoulder, cross-body, around the waist via loops or the eye-loops used to clip shoulder straps) and padding (Side Kick has no padding so delicate items may need a case or other protection. On the other side, padding increases the thickness of the bag, reducing its "slim" style).

Ultimately, I would say if you like leather and waxed cotton canvas (Indiana Jones look-which I like too!), TB is not your one stop company for those bags. If you like / want the Ballistic / Cordura or Halcyon look, TB makes some of ,if not, the best.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

P.S. Call TB Customer Support. They should know if the gray SCB is being planned for the next production run. Heck, they may even have one just hanging around. I know of a few people that lucked out that way!
    Last edited by tpnl; 11-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Side Kick. It looks to be a great bag for what you'll be carrying. I'd have gotten one yesterday, but I bought myself a Synapse 19 yesterday because I don't always need my gigantic GR1. Plus, I've had my eye on another bag of similar size for a while that I'll be getting a few months from now (though I might still end up getting myself a Side Kick, as well).

I originally liked the Small and Medium Cafe Bags, but I realized that when I'm carrying a bag around I don't like having to mess with a flap. The buckle on the Cafe Bags looks like it would make having to open and shut the bag more annoying than the messengers that open and shut with velcro. I prefer to have a bag that I can zip shut when necessary or leave open so I can quickly and easily reach in and out when necessary. That's what makes the Side Kick the better bag in my eyes. You should consider what you prefer or might prefer when carrying a bag.

If other people think it looks like a purse, well...okay. Let that be their hangup. Personally, if I'm carrying a bag, it's because I like it and want to make my life simpler. I'm not going to give that up because of an idea in someone else's head.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrDaisy pinched my Plum Ristretto (original design) and uses it frequently -- just sayin'.

In Australia we are somewhere between the US and Europe when it comes to the use of shoulder and cross-body bags by men. Here a "purse" is (historically at least) a small item a woman keeps money in (in contrast to a wallet which is what a man uses) What is called a purse in the US is a "handbag" here and also traditionally implies a female user. (which is why a man can BE a handbag .... )

We also refer to waist-mounted bags as "bumbags" and I cannot bring myself to wear one (sorry Aubergine SE) - although I give myself an exemption for the dog treat pouch (worn early in the day when the fashion police cannot see me)
    List under construction ....

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely am going to get a mini yeoman ... if they pockets and some organization it would be the (almost) PERFECT carry-on bag.
    I believe that's called a Night Flight Duffle.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a SCB in black works perfect for your needs it is a great bag that does look good. Fits all the stuff you listed and I have Mini Ipad in it as well. Fits perfectly. I also have the Co-pilot and seems much more than what you want although I think it makes the perfect "Man Bag". I hope you find what you are looking for and can't go wrong with TB.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post

MrDaisy pinched my Plum Ristretto (original design) and uses it frequently

I am in sync with MrDaisy! My daily work EDC ...

Cheers!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I believe that's called a Night Flight Duffle.
    Sadly the NFTD is broken up into 3 compartments and, AFAIK, aren't configurable like in the Aeronauts and also has no backpack straps. I need more the yeoman duffle with some internal org like on a maker's bag, but still open internally end-to-end. Flap and end pockets would be great too, and then add tuck-away backpack straps ... but we can't have perfection everywhere, or at least that's what I tell my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    MrDaisy pinched my Plum Ristretto (original design) and uses it frequently -- just sayin'.
    I could definitely rock a Ristretto (plum wouldn't be my first choice ), and it's on my list over the co-pilot as it's smaller than the Pilot which I have, and has some nice org and I think could carry a 13" MBP. I'm hoping they make them in Black or Nordic Halcyon and then I'll pull the trigger ... right now I have my eye on a Smart Alec, but they don't have quuiiittttee the right color match. today. Tomorrow I'm hoping they do
    Last edited by GrussGott; 11-30-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly the NFTD is broken up into 3 compartments and, AFAIK, aren't configurable like in the Aeronauts and also has no backpack straps. I need more the yeoman duffle with some internal org like on a maker's bag, but still open internally end-to-end. Flap and end pockets would be great too, and then add tuck-away backpack straps ... but we can't have perfection everywhere, or at least that's what I tell my wife.
    Have you checked out the Doggienaut 36? (aka Medium Road Duffle) It doesn't have backstraps, but you could use the handles in backstrap mode for a short period of time. I personally hate backstraps, so I don't mind that it doesn't have them. But I like the size and the internal pockets better than the Aeronauts. The Doggienaut is sort of halfway between a Yeoman duffle and an Aeronaut. Plus it has the cute Skookum doggie label.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast