Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread with a question @tpnl about the cross-body attachment on the SK.

Will the 1" single gatekeeper clips work for this cross-body attachment to the SK? I have an Op-tech USA mini SOS strap that is a 1" wide strap. Doesn't look like there are any 1.5" single gatekeeper clips (to try with my Absolute Strap) in the TB parts section.

I had a SK in deep blue/dawn sitting in my closet (with tags still), but I never had the courage to wear it and pull it off (as a guy) - until NOW. This totally works with the cross-body, but IMO it looks better with the gatekeeper clip attachment that you showed rather than using the metal swivel clip hooks from a strap.

Thanks so much!

ETA: Or maybe the double gatekeeper clips would work better??

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Bryan

If it helps, here are a few picture of the Side Kick being used Cross-Body. It was quite comfortable. I tried a 1", 1.5" and 2" strap. The wider the strap, the more comfortable it was. All straps were connected to the loops at the side of the SK using gatekeeper clips except for the last one (2" strap) - you could use either the loops or the standard clip shoulder strap. I just like using the gatekeeper clips:

1" strap (Field Journal Shoulder Strap):
    Attachment 17013

1.5" strap (TB Absolute Shoulder Strap):
    Attachment 17012

2" strap (Mission Workshop Messenger Bag Strap)
    Attachment 17014

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by imagineez; 12-11-2018 at 08:21 PM.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone else follows this thread for the future, I will add what I ended up doing with my SK (deep blue). I am comfortable pulling it off now as I really love this bag for its organizational greatness.

I ordered both the 1" single gate keeper and 1" double gatekeeper pairs from the TB Parts section. I just experimented what might work, how to best position the straps on the bag. I chose the single gate keeper. I'm using a 1" strap I had gotten from another company - it works well. YMMV what strap works for you. I did try the Mini SOS Op-Tech strap (1") that is the Absolute Strap's little brother. But I didn't need the Op-tech's wider shoulder padding.

I wanted to keep the swivels attachment as part of the strap attachment so things wouldn't get all twisty on me.

Here are the pics:

Man bag choice help please-edit20181217_112521-jpg

Man bag choice help please-edit20181217_112615-jpg

Man bag choice help please-edit20181217_112921-jpg

Man bag choice help please-edit20181217_113028-jpg

Man bag choice help please-edit20181217_113042-jpg

Forum Member Generic Industries's Avatar
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    LOL. Enjoy the Side Kick. This morning, I saw the new page and thought "Looks awesome. Just what I need sometimes. But I wouldn't carry it." I want updates about successful man-carrying so I can talk myself into it when my bag-buying ban lapses.
    Hey, finding this thread a few years late. Recently picked up a Side Kick and dig it. I carry it with the standard issued strap, which I wear pretty short, cross-body style.

I don't understand the hesitation of carrying a small bag expressed by other guys in the thread. It's a bag. It holds your stuff. It goes over your shoulder.
    Last edited by Generic Industries; 09-26-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not using a SK very often but often use my SCB. Im amazed at bow much it holds. I was traveling this week and stuffed my SCB with a 9.7 ipad, Bose Qc35 headphones (case about 8x6x1.5 - ish), 20 oz plastic water bottle, and a bunch of snacks. Instead of snacks, I coukd have substituted a thick eyeglasses case. It surprised me!

In addition to the SK and SCB, it might also be worth considering an L12. It would be a little bigger than you might need every day, but would also give you some extra room when needed. On weekends, my carry is pretty simple minimalist wallet, car fob, large sunglasses case, iPad, and water bottle. It will all fit in my SCB, but I prefer how my L12 feels. Even when I one-shoulder it, the L12 feels more comfortable.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @imagineez, Tom Bihn sells an item called the Messenger Stabilizer, https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16942566663, that I’ve used with Cafe Bags to hold the bag on my back. I hadn’t thought to try it with the Sidekick until I saw your picture, but it works fine. You use the male half of a waist strap attached to the left or right side of the bag, depending on which side you want to carry it on, and that strap with the stabilizer attached goes behind you and loops around the neck strap. The product page has better pictures of this than I could take. When I want to access the bag, I just undo the stabilizer, maybe attaching it to the strap in front of my body to keep it from dangling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3