Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man bag choice help please

Hi, I had all but decided on the small cafe bag in gray to use as a "man bag" but now I'm wondering if the new Sidekick might make a better choice.

I don't have a tablet or ipad or anything like that. I would like to free up my pockets and use the bag for:

Wallet (All ett original)
    Droid Maxx in Otter box Defender
    Keys/ carfob/ keychain size multitool and led flashlight
    SAK Cadet
    Fenix E05 light
    Anker Powerbank and UCB cord
    3x5 inch notebook
    3 pens
    comb
    tiny Bic lighter
    earbuds
    sunglasses

What do you folks think?

Thanks

First post by the way

Bryan
    Last edited by Bryan1234; 11-28-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bryan,
    I don't think you could go wrong with either bag—both would hold everything you want to carry. I think it just depends on whether you prefer the aesthetic of one over the other, prefer the Cafe Bag's vertical orientation to the Side Kick's horizontal orientation, or want more built-in internal organization (in which case, you'd probably want to go with the Side Kick).

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1234 View Post
    Hi, I had all but decided on the small cafe bag in gray to use as a "man bag" but now I'm wondering if the new Sidekick might make a better choice.
    If you don't mind that it'll look 100% like a purse in my opinion, then it's probably a great option - for me, not an option, but I might be a bit more old fashioned. For me I use a pilot if I need to (or maaaayyybeee I could see going co-pilot), but in general I don't like anything I have to throw over my head so if it's a shoulder bag it needs to be more on the briefcase/luggage/computer spectrum of look. To my eye, the Sidekick is a purse; this is the picture they put in their email:

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-28-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, to each their own, but the Pilot is objectively way too much bag for the load-out Bryan is going to carry. The Side Kick and SCB are definitely diminutive bags, but they do what they're supposed to do, and I imagine if Bryan doesn't dye his bag pink and cover it with Justin Bieber buttons, he'll be ok.

Bryan, I forgot to mention that the Cafe Bag line comes in (mostly) Cordura fabric (plus one Halcyon option) and the Side Kick comes in either Ballistic nylon or Halcyon, so there's that consideration too. In general, Halcyon and Ballistic are a bit gentler on clothing (and more pet hair resistant), and Cordura looks more like a natural fiber.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bryan1234 - welcome to the forum - and on Fall Debut Day 2016 no less!

I think everything you mention will fit in the Side Kick (SK). Right now in my SK, I have my Dell laptop power supply, small First Aid kit, mouse, gum, Organizer Pouch (OP) with things I carry for travel (earbud, iPod, tokens, aspirin), OP for EDC items (pocket knife, lighter, mini screw driver, etc), flashlight, pens and small notepad. That makes it about 80% full.

Another take, perhaps is that the "Purse" or "Man Bag" differentiation depends on how it is carried - kind of like - what makes a small camera bag a camera bag and not look like a purse.

I agree that a Shoulder Carry as pictured does make it look more purse. However, IMHO, when I use the Field Journal shoulder strap (attached to the side loops via gatekeeper clips as opposed to the eye loops. Note you could use a 1" waist strap from an S25/SA depending on how long you need it to be) and carry it Courier Style (cross-body up on my back), it looks more like a small sling bag. This would perhaps be more what you would see in Asia and Europe. Again, each person will have their own fashion sensibilities so YMMV.

TB shows this same setup with the A30 PCBP. The top smaller portion is the same size as the SK:

However, what I have been delighted to find about the Side Kick is that is makes an amazing "Side Kick" to briefcases. As you may know, I am fond of having what I call a "piggy-back" option in case I need to carry more in my briefcase. This is like a slightly smaller PCSB that has more formal structure to be an easy access mini office. It fits perfectly on my Ristretto - which I carry every day. I like the Halcyon version because I can compress it and put it in the back pocket of my briefcase when not needed.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 11-28-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Eh, to each their own, but the Pilot is objectively way too much bag for the load-out Bryan is going to carry. The Side Kick and SCB are definitely diminutive bags, but they do what they're supposed to do, and I imagine if Bryan doesn't dye his bag pink and cover it with Justin Bieber buttons, he'll be ok.
    Just great, now I have take all the Justin Bieber buttons off of my pilot That's true the Pilot is too much bag, but it's what I carry if I want that many items with me and it allows me to bring my laptop, or I just leave it in my car (trunk!). I do have a PCSB, but that goes on the outside (or inside) of my pilot for travel stuff (full size headphones, etc).

For me the "man bag" that's not a PLO hasn't been cracked yet, but I'm confident with today's technology someone's going to do it!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been carrying a pretty similar load plus a 9.7" iPad Pro and an Olympus TG4 camera....and misc others "necessities" in a medium cafe bag (black corduroy) with great success and few man points lost. Man bag choice help please

But, in an attempt to lessen the load somewhat I ordered a Sidekick this morning that I will take to London next week. I will leave the iPad at home but toss my Kindle Paperwhite in there and ditch some of the "necessities"....including my Justin Bieber button collection now that Badger has insinuated they are not so manly.Man bag choice help please

I previously tried paring down to my Side Effect but couldn't get everything in there I wanted to without it being over stuffed.

What I would do....order both and see which trips your trigger the most.

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I agree that a Shoulder Carry does make it look more purse. However, IMHO, when I use the Field Journal shoulder strap (attached to the side loops via gatekeeper clips as opposed to the eye loops) and carry it Courier Style (cross-body up on my back), it looks more like a small sling bag. This would be perhaps be more what you would see in Asia and Europe.
    Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking too. And I will totally concede that the product pic makes it look like a purse; however, I'm not sure how a cis-gendered woman carrying it over the shoulder could make it not look like a purse, if that makes sense.

I plan on using the Side Kick mostly as an in-bag organizer, but what's great about it is how easy it is to grab when I only need a few things (especially if one of those things is an 18-oz. Kleen Kanteen with the loop cap, which the Side Kick can totally hold). Carried by hand, it looks like a zip-up Filofax or valise—qualities it shares with the Field Journal Notebook, which is also cute and small but not particularly feminine.

ETA: confidential to anyone with a robust Justin Bieber button collection: disregard what I said above and don't be afraid to show the world you're a Belieber. If anyone, including me, makes fun of you, just flash your Justin Bieber Brass Knuckles and I'm sure you'll win the day.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-28-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tpnl

When you say your briefcase, do you mean your Pilot or DLBC?

I'm looking at this and wondering if I could merge my SE (which carries my EDC backup type stuff) and my 3DOC (which carries my power cord, headphones and wireless mouse) into one.

I've sort of longed for the ability to carry all my EDC/electronic stuff in one smaller bag that I can move between a backpack and briefcase almost instantaneously. I went for the Pilot over the DLBC because the latter felt bulky with my SE and 3DOC, thought admittedly perhaps I didn't organize it right, and my laptop is very heavy anyway.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Sidekick in black, with a larger strap (like this, or something in between that and the super-thin one), would look very manly.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an xx person with xy tastes who eschews purse type things. I'm not a Belieber, but I'd rock the Sidekick! Just to muddle the gender conformity and nonconformity waters.
    Here's another way to look at things: are you a flappy bag person or a zippy bag person?

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man bag choice help please

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I'm an xx person with xy tastes who eschews purse type things. I'm not a Belieber, but I'd rock the Sidekick! Just to muddle the gender conformity and nonconformity waters.
    Here's another way to look at things: are you a flappy bag person or a zippy bag person?
    The Side Kick would excel at housing all your Kesha Throwing Stars. Mine is the perfect size for my Nicki Minaj Nunchucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 11-28-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    tpnl

When you say your briefcase, do you mean your Pilot or DLBC?

I'm looking at this and wondering if I could merge my SE (which carries my EDC backup type stuff) and my 3DOC (which carries my power cord, headphones and wireless mouse) into one.

I've sort of longed for the ability to carry all my EDC/electronic stuff in one smaller bag that I can move between a backpack and briefcase almost instantaneously. I went for the Pilot over the DLBC because the latter felt bulky with my SE and 3DOC, thought admittedly perhaps I didn't organize it right, and my laptop is very heavy anyway.
    Yes - I mean my Pilot, DLBC ... and Cadet and Maker's Bag. I have not fully test packed and used the SK with these other bags - but, from what I have tried on my Ristretto, it should work great. Basically, I took everything I had in my Ristretto (minus laptop, papers, lunch and thermos) and fit it in the SK. It all worked - and more. It fits perfectly in the S25 bottom pocket and I can probably find a way to hook it into the inside of an SA or BB and the HsJ.

I definitely think you can combine what you have in your SE and 3DOC into the SK and use it in your briefcase or piggy-back outside your briefcase or on its own as something you carry in your hands. At work, I actually carry, with my laptop in sleeve, a similar small bag that has everything I need when going indoors to a meeting (power supply, connections to projectors, mouse, LAN cable, HDMI adaptors, etc). The SK works perfectly for that scenario, IMHO. I think the handle strap would be useful too.

@bchaplin, thanks for the suggestion on how to "man" up my SK more (don't tell my wife)! I have not tried the 1.5" Absolute or the Regular Strap yet but I am sure they will work. What I liked about the Field Journal Strap is that the Gatekeeper attachments are nice and flush with the bag and my back.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: I created another thread on adding the SK as extra storage to briefcases:

Every Superhero needs a Side Kick !
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-04-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    It fits perfectly in the S25 bottom pocket
    Oh. Well then. Must buy when next release comes out.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I think the Sidekick in black, with a larger strap (like this, or something in between that and the super-thin one), would look very manly.
    I totally agree with this! The Simple Strap would work too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast