Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you carry your A30 more in backpack-mode or on the shoulder?

I just received my A30 in Black Halcyon/Island and I am *so* thrilled! Even after spending years, literally, researching and then waiting for this bag, there were still wonderful design details that I hadn't expected, like the elegantly tucked-away backpack-strap clips. I can't wait to use it.

I have a question for people who have had an A30 for awhile - assuming that it feels fairly comfortable on your shoulder with the Absolute strap, do you find yourself using it more with the strap or in backpack-mode? I like having the option to carry it on the shoulder and it doesn't feel too heavy, but since I'm trying to cut down my luggage weight as much as possible I wonder if I should just commit to using it in backpack-mode so I don't have an extra piece of gear...

BC Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. I find it awkward to put it on in backpack mode when I'm deplaning, or getting in and out of vehicles, so I use the strap then. When I change to backpack mode I just detach the strap and put it in the backpack compartment so it's out of the way. It's very comfortable in backpack mode.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Wendy and use a strap in similar situations. Anytime I am going to be switching activities or will be putting my bag down frequently, I use the strap. If I have to go longer distances or the weight is heavier, I switch to using it as a pack. I do think the AS is comfortable with heavier loads, but I prefer the more solid feel of the backpack straps if I'm walking quickly vs the bouncy feel of the AS. I still like the flexibility of having both options, to the point where I have jettisoned other stuff to make sure I have room for the strap. It does double-duty anyhow, as I use the strap with my PCSB.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with preserving the option, I like the ability to switch up how I wear my A30 - to give my shoulders a rest, or to make it easier to access gear, or to get through narrow spaces. The small bit of extra weight is worth the tradeoff, for me.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only used the AS once in my travels. While it was comfortable for reasonable distances, it got a little heavy for me walking through London Heathrow and then Chicago O'Hare. That was my very first trip with my A30 and I brought back more gifts than I expected and ended up with the DLBP on my back (in hindsight, I should have just carried that in my hand by the top strap). Now, I carry it almost exclusively on my back. Sometimes I tuck away the backpack straps before I board the plane and carry it by hand, but other times I just stay in backpack mode.

All that said, I do not do business travel so I don't worry about wrinkling any business attire. I think after a few trips you'll learn what works best for you! Enjoy your new bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the backstraps uncomfortable and awkward to put on and take off. I use the absolute shoulder strap.

I even cut the backstraps out of my WF and that gives me an extra place to pack stuff. I haven't cut them out of the A30, just in case I want to try them again in the future.

I think if I had to hike with the A30, I would use the backstraps. But getting on and off planes and in and out of cars, the absolute shoulder strap is great.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Sounds like having the option to shoulder-carry might be the way to go for me. @WendyK, I hadn't thought of stowing the Absolute strap in the backpack pocket - that's brilliant!

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use the A30 in backpack mode. I'm 4'11", and it's just generally always awkward for me to carry a larger bag on my shoulder, even though I love the absolute shoulder strap.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always use the A30 in backpack mode - I find it very comfortable that way, although it can be a little awkward to get into and out of. I haven't ever used it with a shoulder strap, although I do have a couple of Absolute straps which I could clip on - I tend to find that carrying a bag over one shoulder pulls my back out of alignment and as I have a very dodgy lower spine, centralised carry is better. For very short distances and getting in and out of the car etc on the way to the station, I use hand carry - but that's really only for distances up to 100 yards or so. In backpack mode I can happily schlep a typical loadout for up to an hour or so if I have to - I often navigate train and tube stations in London on my way to and from the office, with the A30 on my back.

When I do use the Absolute strap on a bag, it's usually something like my NFTD (Night Flight Travel Duffle) and it's rigged for cross-body carry with the bulk of the weight positioned across the small of my back so as to avoid pulling to one side.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know i'm technically off-topic, because i have an A45, but i always use it in backpack mode. i stow the straps quickly before putting it in the overhead, and yoink them back out quickly as i deplane.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always hand-carry it (no shoulder strap). I try to keep it light when I pack, and without the strap it is easy to heft into an overhead bin. The only times I have done carry-on packing (no checked baggage) it has been with the A30, whereas usually I do check in a suitcase.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought.

I like to carry my bags cross body with the bag in front of me or to my side in crowded places. I do not trust a bag cross body hanging to my back, or a backpack when I'm in crowded places. I think it's an invitation to pickpocket. When I was in San Francisco earlier this year, I saw quite a few people wearing their backpacks on their front, as if they were carrying a baby. My first thought was, they've been pick pocketed before.

Now, if I was hiking somewhere, it wouldn't bother me to have my bag on my back, because I would know who was around me and there would not be someone pressed up against my back, like at an airport, train, bus, or busy marketplace.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to carry my A30 with the shoulder strap. I usually have a daylight backpack on my back. I like the ability to quickly put the A30 down when standing in long lines at the airport. I usually rest it on my foot, while holding the strap, and shuffle along in the line that way.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I do not trust a bag cross body hanging to my back, or a backpack when I'm in crowded places. I think it's an invitation to pickpocket.
    This is why I don't keep anything valuable in the end compartments and pockets of my A30 (since I always carry it in backpack mode), and I have a lock on the main compartment. My personal item is worn crossbody in front, and I'd keep valuables in there or in an inner coat pocket that's zipped up.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost always in backpack mode, and the rest of the time by the handle. I don't think I've ever yet attached my Absolute Strap to my A30, but I do use it on my A45. That's because when I am using the A30, it's usually a truly one-bag situation. It's much more common for me to use the A45 in combination with another bag (usually a DLBP, but sometimes a PCSB), because the A45 is for work travel where I need my computer, and fancy shoes. So, for me having the option of the strap with my A30 just wouldn't be worth the extra weight, while it's 100% worth it with my A45.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast