Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does laptop need a Cache in the Pilot?

Hi all - first time poster and hopefully, soon to be first-time TB owner.... just have to figure out which one Wink

Looking for a regular old laptop briefcase to take to/from the office as well as occasional travel. Leaning towards the Pilot over the Cadet, because the colors are a lot more varied on the Pilot.

Question is -- is the Pilot's main compartment padded at all? Specifically, does it require a Cache for everyday laptop commuting, or can the laptop just go right in the compartment? My commute isn't quite full-contact but it is on mass transit in NYC. And my laptop is fairly hardy (Lenovo t440s) but I wouldn't want to rough it up too much, my office would not like that!

Other question is - does the Cache attach and go in/out in the same way in the Pilot as in the Cadet and/or DLBC? The wording on the product page implied they might be different, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to joining your ranks soon!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A horizontical Cashe does attach to the Pilot. I would not put my laptop in there without one as it is not padded BUT you could do it if you wanted. The Pilots front pockets and internal pockets kind of sandwich the laptop between them. So if you pack thouse pockets accordingly (nothing sharp-edged or too hard) and put something soft at the bottom of the main compartment (say a foulded up scarf) than your laptop would be quite well cushined.

But if you want chargers and a bottle in the sorounding pockets... I'd go for the cashe. By the way: I always use a Vertical Cashe. It is slightly more "work" to get the laptop out but this way I can use one cashe in all my bags and most of them are backpacks. I would not do this though if my laptop would need to go on and out of the bag mutliple times a day. With me it is pack it in the morning, unpack it at work, pack it again for the way home and unpack it at home.

Ilkyway

ETA: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :-)
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not put one in there without some kind of padding whether a Cache or anything else to give some further protection,the bag has no actual padding at all.

Last Week I did a 1500 mile car trip with my 11" Macbook Air just stuck in the Pilot with no other padding and it was not planned but something else rode on the way back where the computer had been on the way there!
    I was a little crazed the whole trip and I kept finding things to improvise into the spot around the computer as I drove along.

The problem is not when you are thinking about it and can be careful it is for when it becomes routine and you are not paying attention ad that is when the computer is most vulnerable I think.

So do something,even a thin strip of foam on the bottom of the pocket and other things on the sides as padding as mentioned above or just get something made to protect a computer and don't worry about it anymore.
    Just don't throw the Pilot around a lot.

And I never even noticed before but my Pilot DOES have the connection points for a Cache too?
    I don't use a Cache as I have other sleeves but the cache lets the computer slide out for the TSA to see it without detaching it from the bag in theory.
    But I have never even thought about this myself and have never missed it either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, cazique!

I have the Pilot and the DLBC. The horizontal cache attaches to the internal fabric tabs via the Double Gate Keeper clips in both bags. I also use the cache when using the retired Imago (no attachment points) and I hacked my old style Smart Alec to use the horizontal cache there too. I find the cache useful for protection in a variety of bags even though I don't travel by air with it and don't use the handy TSA slide-out function.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a similar place as you just a few weeks ago, looking for a new everyday carry laptop bag. I believe your T440s is about the same size as my T450s, so you might want to also consider the Daylight Briefcase I ended up with. I've been on mass transit in NYC, and the slimmer profile is something to consider.

I hadn't thought about the DLBC before when I first came here, but then people were able to give me some good information about the reality of the sizes needed. If you want, you can read about it all in my question thread: "How much room does a brain cell take up in a western flyer".

Note: Reminder to self, I need to remember to have the mods update that thread title to show it's actually about the DLBC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my (first Original, now Black) Halcyon Pilot as a briefcase for client visits (local and plane travel) with my T420. Unfortunately I couldn't fit the 4Z vertical cache I had in the pilot so I took a chance and carried it naked in the bag with only an extra absolute shoulder strap on the bottom for padding. With careful carrying and packing and some good luck I never had a problem.

I just switched to the X1 Carbon and got a 6Z cache for it - looking forward to my first trip with lighter/slimmer setup!

Habanero

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Just pulled the trigger on that Pilot and 6z cache, my first TB purchase! Thanks to you all for your input!