Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Synapse 19/25 in Red Blend/Nordic/Grey, DLBP in Red Blend/French Blue

Hi everyone!
    I just placed a really huggeee order on some of the Limited Edition Colors. My favorite color is Sitka as this shade of green really speaks to me. Really wanted a Black Halcyon/Sitka Little Swift and Sitka travel Trays but they were all sold out by the time I ordered! So I ordered the LS in Aubergine/Sitka, Black/Fjord and Black Halcyon/Monarch instead. I'm not really a fan of purple, does anyone have TB bags in this color combination? Big Grin

I also ordered a S25 Black Halcyon/Island for my husband. He's 5'9. Thinking of adding another Synapse, but unsure whether to get S25 or S19, I'm 5'3.

Then there's another thing about color. Personally I've seen Nordic Halcyon up close because we were on the same flight as mrbrown and he was carrying a Nordic Halcyon S25. Actually we admired his TB bags at the airport lounge from afar, and it was only until after the flight that I overcame my shyness and told him his bags looked great! It looks really nice and have the nice navy/indigo/shiny surface, but I was leaning more towards Red Blend (1st choice) or Grey. But if I get a S19 I'm not sure if my husband will mind wearing a red bag, since he's more of a black/blue/grey person.

Also, I'm having problems deciding if I want a DLBP in Red Blend or French Blue. I've seen the French Blue DLBP in mrbrown's blog and it looks stunning.

Embarrassment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just want to say that red blend is not bright. I don't think a man would feel odd with it because it is not at all "flashy". it's pretty but in a gender neutral way of that makes sense.

as for French Blue, I know a lot of people love it. there's that going for it. but I'm not overly fond of it as a wearable color. the reason is for whatever reason I don't like how it looks with my clothes. I understand people liking the color with blue jeans. but I don't like French Blue paired with navy or denim. since a backpack is "worn", I personally prefer other colors that complement it. red blend is great. even Nordic is good because it's close to denim. of course, my analysis/preferences are predicated on jeans, since they are what I wear the most.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks marytattoo!The red blend is really beautiful, but they only seem to use this color in the smaller bags instead of bigger ones like the Aeronaut.

I was wondering if there is a photo of the DLBP in red blend?

Is the DLBP in halcyon more 'packable' inside a S25/S19? Now that you mention it I'm looking at Nordic DLBP. So many choices!

Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    just want to say that red blend is not bright. I don't think a man would feel odd with it because it is not at all "flashy". it's pretty but in a gender neutral way of that makes sense.

as for French Blue, I know a lot of people love it. there's that going for it. but I'm not overly fond of it as a wearable color. the reason is for whatever reason I don't like how it looks with my clothes. I understand people liking the color with blue jeans. but I don't like French Blue paired with navy or denim. since a backpack is "worn", I personally prefer other colors that complement it. red blend is great. even Nordic is good because it's close to denim. of course, my analysis/preferences are predicated on jeans, since they are what I wear the most.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of Red Blend being used in larger / other bags like the Aeronauts, it is more a factor of the fabric used in the bag's construction.

Red Blend is a color currently specific to the Cordura material - used in the Cafe Bags, Synapses, DLBP/DLBC, parts of the Brain Bag, etc.

The Aeronauts are not made of Cordura. They are made of Ballistic Nylon (as is the TriStar / Western Flyer, Cadet, etc). Now, there was a Cardinal Red color (and even an earlier brighter Crimson color) that used to be an option but it is no longer offered. If you google for Cardinal Aeronaut, you will get pictures of the Red Colors previously offered in the Ballistic Nylon bags.

Now, this does not mean that TB could ask for a custom order of the Ballistic Nylon Fabric in the same Red Blend color - you would get your wish then!

I cannot comment from experience on Red Blend being a good color for men and women but I will say, from the pictures that I would agree with marytattoo. I am tempted to get something in that color as I like the "Berry" color look (this is what I equate it too) to go with my Black / Blue / Grey normal colors.

I could note find any Red Blend DLBP pictures - but there are a few if you google "Red Blend Tom Bihn Field Journal" if that helps.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Lowcountry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure how to link my comment. But, I included a picture of the color: red blend, which I wrote in the "Synapse 25" under "Accessories + Organization Strategies." It's a gorgeous color.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phayes47 View Post
    I am not sure how to link my comment. But, I included a picture of the color: red blend, which I wrote in the "Synapse 25" under "Accessories + Organization Strategies." It's a gorgeous color.
    Here's the picture of your Red Blend Synapse 25:

To link to your post, use your mouse or keypad to click on the link to the post number (#7) at the right edge of the top bar of your post and select the "Copy Link" option (this is what would be a "right mouse click" or on a Mac a "control click" to bring up menu options). Then, highlight the section of text in your new post, for example, this is the link I want to point you to,, click on the "Link" icon of a globe with small chain link below it, above the reply text box to add a link to your highlighted text, and paste the URL of the link you copied in to the text box.

The other way to do this is to use the "Reply with quote" option on your original post, select all, and then copy the text. Then compose your reply and paste that in like this:

Quote Originally Posted by phayes47 View Post
    It took me such a long time to decide on this color; and I am so happy with the size. This is not a child's color red, but a mature adult red. Thank you Tom Bihn!
    (Because of the way the image was attached, it is not automatically included in then quoted post; on my Mac or iPhone/iPad, I control click or tap and hold on the image, then select the menu option to "Copy Image Address". Then I click or tap on the "Insert Image Icon" a few icons to the right of the "Link" icon, select the "From URL" tab, and paste the image address into the text space.)

HTH

moriond

Lowcountry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Moriond.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your generous sharing! I've just received my order and will upload some pictures tomorrow. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the first photo...stuff I'll like to keep Smilie

Synapse 19/25 in Red Blend/Nordic/Grey, DLBP in Red Blend/French Blue-file_002compressed-jpeg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second photo... Items that I would most probably return.

Little Swifts in Aubergine/Sitka, Black/Fjord, Black Halcyon/Monarch. I think that they don't work for me. The urethane pockets are not as deep as I would like it to be and it's not a zipped one. But maybe I'll keep one in the Ballistic Nylon Smilie

Large Travel Tray island - I prefer the smaller sized travel trays

Passport Pouch NWS - Still on the fence regarding this

Hipbelt for S25/S19

Synapse 19/25 in Red Blend/Nordic/Grey, DLBP in Red Blend/French Blue-file_000-jpeg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some thoughts about my purchase.

- Tom Bihn has excellent customer service, in particular Kat and Mike! A big thanks to them.

- Hip Belt - My husband and I test-loaded the S25 with a 15 inch MBP (2011), and we found that with the hip belt, most or even all of the weight got transferred to the hips and there was virtually no weight on the shoulders, which was a pleasant surprise! It's our first experience with a hip belt and we're most likely keeping it. I read on the TB blog that the hip belt may not work as well for taller folks. FYI I'm 1.6m and my husband is 1.75m.

- Size of S25 - I find S25 to be comfortable for my size, and it's not as big as I expected. But I'm not sure if it'll work for me as well when it's fully loaded. The next backpack may be a S25 as I prefer the extra room.

- Grab handles of S25 - this is the thing I do not like about S25. It's not comfortable to hold the S25 as the handle is not cushioned. It'll be great, and I don't mind paying a bit extra for some kind of PORON-like handles for S25. I prefer the handles of my husband's Wegner's backpack.

- Colors - Sitka and Fjord are gorgeous, and I like Fjord even more than Island. I thought I would dislike Wasabi, but I like it as well! I guess I'm in love with blue and green shades! Hoping that there will be a magenta interior this year! I'll probably get something else in Iberian in future (really love the deep red, but I ordered the wrong keystrap). Aubergine doesn't work for me, although I love the Sitka interior of the LS.

- Ballistic Nylon is a v tough fabric and gives the LS structure. If I get A30/A45 I would most likely get one in Navy Ballistic as it's a very tough and durable fabric.

- PCSB - very light, and seems very versatile. I've not travelled with packing cubes before and I'm going to try this method for my upcoming work trip!

- I hope that TB will make a zipped tote in future! Something like longchamp but with interior organization and pockets and O-rings! LS doesn't work for me nor my mum (I initially intended to gift one to her) because I don't knit anymore and we prefer a zipped bag.