Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning questions for cordura products

I have two cleaning questions:

1. Some shaving oil spilled in my 3D Organizer Cube and has stained the interior cordura. I tried dish soap to remove it without luck. Any suggestions?

2. I have a black Synapse 25 in cordura. The areas around the top pockets have faded a bit. It almost appears as if sun-bleached, however the rest of the bag looks pristine, so I assume it is from touching those areas frequently while opening and closing the top pockets. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

If this is the nature of the black cordura, is there a better color option for future purchases?

Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays TB'ers!!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the shaving oil, try Dawn. Maybe dilute it a bit, but it should be safe.
    I've used mild dish soap (not Dawn) for my old Synapse 19 and it came out clean.
    Good luck!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried dish soap on both, but didnīt have any success. Is there anything special about Dawn that would make it more effective?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawn used to be very good at removing grease or oil. However, they have changed the formula the last few years, so I'm not sure anymore.

Or you could just stain the entire inside with your shaving oil, so it all matches.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-03-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekavanagh View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried dish soap on both, but didnīt have any success. Is there anything special about Dawn that would make it more effective?
    I had red pepper olive oiled splashed all over my Halcyon DLBP, staining the white grid a shade of orange. I first tried baking soda and a lemon dish soap and it took out only part of the stain. I then bought some Dawn (just the regular stuff, not the concentrated kind or flavored kind). I rubbed it into the stains and let it sit for about an hour before rinsing it out. The stains were gone! I don't know what magic is in Dawn, but it worked for me. This accident occurred in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: fading - I have a black Cordura and also an Indigo Synapse, both of which were acquired second-hand. (so they have seen some good steady use) No fading that I notice. Just some typical wear on the zipper "gaskets".

If it's not related to something that you are regularly in contact with (e.g. lemon juice?) - I know that some knitters have an issue with using needles that are nickel-plated, either due to their body chemistry or perhaps something reacting in a lotion or other product they use. So it might just be an individual challenge. But since it's black, is it possible to just do touch-ups with a Sharpie or fabric paint?

2. I have a black Synapse 25 in cordura. The areas around the top pockets have faded a bit. It almost appears as if sun-bleached, however the rest of the bag looks pristine, so I assume it is from touching those areas frequently while opening and closing the top pockets. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

If this is the nature of the black cordura, is there a better color option for future purchases?

Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays TB'ers!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Dawn worked! Interestingly, I tried another dish soap brand with no success.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the ingredient is in Dawn, but they use it to clean wildlife after oil spills Frown and wardrobe departments in theaters use it for oil stains too. I'm glad it worked!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Dawn worked! Interestingly, I tried another dish soap brand with no success.
    +1 on this. Depending on the stain, sometimes I will use a very soft toothbrush to rub the Dawn into the stain and then let it sit for a little while. I have had very good success with this method. At times it may take a second washing if it is a stubborn stain. Glad the Dawn worked for you.