Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: FJN Inserts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FJN Inserts

I read the description and have looked at pictures, but can't quite tell-- do the pen/pocket and pocket/pocket Field Journal Notebook inserts have stiffener in between the sides like the Freudian slips? I am trying to determine if it would be stiff enough on its own to use as a writing platform with a notebook resting on the smoother zip pocket side.
    Last edited by moriond; 01-11-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pocket/pocket insert and there is no stiffener. That works to my advantage (the pockets can flex to accommodate my things and the insert stays less bulky), but it would not work for writing on as is.

However you could certainly cut a piece of cardboard or something to fit, and that should work, though it'd be small and you'd lose that flex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terayon,

Thank you! Just the information I needed.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To add to @terayon's response, the Field Journal Inserts are basically black Parapack, with a piping edge around the outside edge (like organizer pouches have), so by themselves they're not stiff writing surfaces. But the stiffness of the front as a writing surface may depend on what you have inserted into either the back zippered pocket or the front open pocket (in the case of the pocket insert, since I don't think you'd be planning to write on the "pen pockets" as a flat surface.).

For example, if you have the Hobonichi Weeks, that pretty much fills the open front pocket of the FJN insert (you might be able to insert some more cards, or maybe one additional of their slim weeks memo books, but it's a fairly good match to the pocket depth, although the Parapack and the Weeks cover makes it easy to slide in and out). So, when that's filling the front open pocket, it's pretty much a flat surface to write on, because the sizing match in width is so good, even though the Weeks Diary by itself, outside of the pocket, is more flexible and bendy.

Also, the switched end of the pocket even on the reverse zippered side of the pocket, is pretty much sized so that if I put in, say, a Field Notes Lunacy Notebook and a Moleskine Cahier in the Volante series (same size), and zip up the back pocket, they pretty much go to the seamed edges and again form a stiff surface to write on, if you don't have anything bumpy in the open pocket on the reverse side. (Of course, they don't fill the vertical length of the FJN insert, but those pocket diaries are held in place by stitched seam and outer zipper.

You might be able to insert one of those pencil boards that Hobonichi (or others) sells to act as a stiff writing surface. I'm not sure which surface you want to write on. The two examples that I gave: Weeks in the front open pocket, or Field Notes, Moleskine Cahier (or even one or two of the Hobonichi A6 slim memo books) in the back zippered pocket) would make a flat writing surface when zipped up. There's also the FJN Plastic Insert Divider, which is almost the same size as the pocket inserts (slightly larger because its edges are cut to be a rectangle, rather than the rounded corners that the piped edges of the inserts dictate -- much like organizer pouches don't have sharp corners), but the plastic surface is slippery against the Parapack, so unless you're using it within the 3-ring binder of the FJN, these won't be held together.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I edited the thread title to correct the typo -- now reads "FJN inserts" instead of "FJN inerts"
    Last edited by moriond; 01-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @KmK,

I'm adding a picture to illustrate the way that items fit in some of the FJN pocket inserts as described in my post:

FJN Inserts-img_3201-jpg

On the left, you can see the back zippered pocket shared by both sorts of Field Journal Notebook organizational inserts on the back side: the pen/pencil insert and the pocket insert

The right edge of the Field Notes Lunacy notebook is lined up with the stitched seam close to the 3 rings for this back pocket, and the notebook is lying on top of a similarly sized (but slightly thicker) Moleskine Volante series Cahier (you can just see the pink edge). When you zip up the back pocket, those notebooks just about fill the space between the stitched seam and the end of the pocket, so they can form a flat (and relatively stiff) surface to write on. (The Moleskine Cahier is one of the same sort shown in my post answering @jujigatame about various size pocket notebooks that would fit into the RFID Passport Pouch -- I also mentioned in that post that the profile of those Moleskine Cahiers matched the Field Notes profile).

You may also be able to see the stitched edge of the back pocket more clearly in the product page photo -- without notebooks lying on top.
    FJN Inserts-field-journal-notebook-pocket-insert-studio-jpg

On the right side of my photo, you can see the Hobonichi Weeks notebook pretty much filling the pocket of the FJN pocket insert. Although you can fit slightly wider notebooks into that pocket -- like the Hobonichi A6 memo books (one in blue is shown in front of the Weeks pocket diary), if you don't completely fill the pocket, the Weeks pocket diary is thick enough that inserting it into that pocket also essentially makes that a flat surface by pretty much filling the pocket. I usually prefer to carry the slimmer Weeks memo books in that pocket.

But, another way you could stiffen the pocket is by inserting one of the Hobonichi pencil boards (Shitajiki writing boards) into that pocket, although it won't completely fill the width. You can see one of these pencil boards for the Weeks Diary, in the pictures in my post in the Hacking the FJN for Levenger Circa, etc. thread.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.